Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 01-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Default Oof!

25 to Life sucks according to IGN. A score of 3.1, which would be equivalent to the game being fairly okay, but leaning towards the poor side, if IGN rated games out of 5.

They rate games out of 10. This puts 25 to Life firmly underneath games like Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon, and barely above games like Shrek Super Party. Ow.

Read these paragraphs:

Quote:
Occasionally, you'll have a friend or two fighting alongside of you, which amazingly makes it more difficult to stay alive. The problem is, your partner or friend has absolutely no regard for where you are when he's pulling the trigger. So if you're in between an enemy and your friend, he'll have no qualms about putting 800 bullets into the back of your head. Some sort of team command mechanic, even a basic "stay here" or "stop shooting me in the back you freaking moron" command would have been a welcome addition.
Quote:
In addition to all the frustrating and highly questionable gameplay mechanics, you'll also be treated to graphics that at times resemble what ends up in a sink after 18 tequila shots in under an hour, and at others barely break into the realm of mediocre. The game starts out in an urban environment that's so generic you might fall asleep looking at it. Eventually you'll enter areas that are slightly more interesting, and in the end the game proved to have more environmental variety that something like Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance. Though there was a slight degree of variety, that doesn't mean any of the environments looked good. Enemy models and animations are terrible. They move around like starched mannequins, showing little to no response at being shot twenty times by an SMG. Characters will often blend into the background so you'll have to spend unnecessarily long tracts of time searching for that one foes who you can see on your radar, who keeps shooting you yet somehow you can't spot on your screen.
Quote:
There's really no reason to buy this game. The single player is boring, arrestingly conventional and entirely forgettable. The multiplayer is slightly better, though mostly because of its options and not because of its gameplay. This game sorely needed some kind of unique movement, such as diving, rolling or a much more sophisticated duck and cover mechanic. As it is, the entire game consists of running up to foes and hoping you can shoot them more times than they shoot you. In the end, 25 to Life turns out to be a flimsy product that feels tacked together strictly for the purposes of producing a "gangster" game, which apparently sells copies. In the future, hopefully they can pair the theme with an interesting game design players can actually enjoy, or just stop making them altogether.
Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.
Vindicating Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Default Re: Oof!

Don't worry, IGN get "paid" to write a good review in my opinion.
For example, why else have they given Halo 2 a score of 9.8. There's loads of corruption in the Game review scene in my opinion.

I very much doubt there's any objectivity in reviews anymore, here's an example that will make your eyes bleed:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/review...ile&id=721
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
hahnchen
Experienced

Are people really that shocked? I mean, I personally thought 25tL wasn't going to be that good, for a few reasons.

1)PC, PS2, Xbox - Come on, unless the game breaks new ground like say Fahrenheit did, then people aren't going to be able to stand the PS2 level graphics.

2)"Black" street culture - I have no idea why for some reason this kind of setting has been so popular of late, it literally is the stupidest thing ever. GTA, 50cent, True Crime, even NFS. I can't understand why overstated willy-waving bling has eclipsed understated cool and sophistication.

3)Filler game - Did no one have the feeling that this was the kind of project that Ritual undertook purely to get some cash flow to support their other projects?

And online reviews vary in quality, they're still not as good as print reviews from gaming mags, being that they hire crap semi-professional writers, with no sort of overarching editorial team. Still, IGN and gamespot are usually OK.

And you can't trust anything by things like planetgamecube, because it's a fan site. Written by fans, you see.
hahnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by CommanderZx2:
Don't worry, IGN get "paid" to write a good review in my opinion.
For example, why else have they given Halo 2 a score of 9.8. There's loads of corruption in the Game review scene in my opinion.

I very much doubt there's any objectivity in reviews anymore, here's an example that will make your eyes bleed:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/review...ile&id=721
That's ironic, because when I stopped by ign.com today, I was immediately hit with an add for 25 to Life. And after I got passed that, then there were ads for the game on the top and right banners on the site's main page.

If you really don't trust their reviews and would rather play 25tL instead of Halo 2, I'm not going to stop you.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Xenogenetic
Addict

Why play Halo2 when HL2 is out for xbox.
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenogenetic:
IGN gave Half-Life 2 9.4 on the Xbox.
IGN gave Halo 2 9.8 on the Xbox.

Something wrong with those reviewers.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Xenogenetic
Addict

IGN can suck my chocolate salty balls.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
Scarcrux
News Editor, Ritualistic

Send a message via ICQ to Scarcrux Send a message via AIM to Scarcrux Send a message via MSN to Scarcrux Send a message via Yahoo to Scarcrux Send a message via Skype™ to Scarcrux

Quote:
3)Filler game - Did no one have the feeling that this was the kind of project that Ritual undertook purely to get some cash flow to support their other projects?
From what I understand, Ritual was only contracted to work on 25 to Life. I don't know the extent of that contract, but I believe Ritual was brought in to salvage the game by helping to make it playable and creating some assets. Avalanche and/or Eidos were responsible for the design and development. My point is even if the game does suck as badly as some reviewers claim that shouldn't reflect poorly on Ritual.
Scarcrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by CommanderZx2:
Quote:
Originally posted by Xenogenetic:
IGN gave Half-Life 2 9.4 on the Xbox.
IGN gave Halo 2 9.8 on the Xbox.

Something wrong with those reviewers.
I think of the .4 difference like this. Halflife 2 had been out for a year on PC before it got to the X-Box, was an inferior version of the original game, and featured no multiplayer of any kind. Halo 2 came out a year earlier than Halflife 2, featured graphics that have been rivaled by only a few other games on the system since, had system link multiplayer, X-Box Live multiplayer, co-op multiplayer, and traditional death match. That said, I think the time difference between the games was the largest factor in Halflife 2 getting an inferior score. Games that seemed fantastic at the time, like Crimson Skies or Fable, now are more or less pedestrian by today's standards as games become more beautiful, more fun to play, and packaged with higher production values like an excellent story or A-list voice actors. Also note that the PC version of Halflife 2 got a 9.7 when it originally came out, and the editors for IGN PC judge games far more harshly than the console reviewers do. If a tuned up version of Halo 2 came out tomorrow for PC, believe it, it'd score in the high eights or low nines just because of how much time has passed since it was originally released. The end.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Frightener:
From what I understand, Ritual was only contracted to work on 25 to Life. I don't know the extent of that contract, but I believe Ritual was brought in to salvage the game by helping to make it playable and creating some assets. Avalanche and/or Eidos were responsible for the design and development. My point is even if the game does suck as badly as some reviewers claim that shouldn't reflect poorly on Ritual.
I certainly hope it doesn't. With something as promising and innovative as S:E coming up, I'd hate for the company to get any negative buzz. It's nice to know that this wasn't Ritual's screw up, but I wonder if they put the logo on the box?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
JimmyC
Experienced

I don't think the game looks half bad. I'm just really turned off by the whole urban-gangsta themed games. I worked in an urban slum for 7 years. Don't really need to play a game reminding me of how much fun it was every day. I'll never forget things like seeing a drive-by where the only person who got shot was an old lady walking home from a market, getting mugged for the first or second time, having people cursing me out cause I didn't given them enough for their pan handling troubles (I mean since I had a job and they didn't, obviously I should given them piles of money every day).

You know I really don't know how I got here so fast so I better just shut up and find something else to do.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:15 AM   #12
Xenogenetic
Addict

Don't worry, be happy.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
Vindicating Angel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyC:
I don't think the game looks half bad. I'm just really turned off by the whole urban-gangsta themed games. I worked in an urban slum for 7 years. Don't really need to play a game reminding me of how much fun it was every day. I'll never forget things like seeing a drive-by where the only person who got shot was an old lady walking home from a market, getting mugged for the first or second time, having people cursing me out cause I didn't given them enough for their pan handling troubles (I mean since I had a job and they didn't, obviously I should given them piles of money every day).

You know I really don't know how I got here so fast so I better just shut up and find something else to do.
I totally sympathize. I was born in Georgetown and grew up in the slums of Washington, D.C. I hate gangbangers, and I hate the glorification their lifestyles get in movies, music, and now, video games. I don't know from first hand experience whether or not 25tL is truly as crappy as IGN says, and personally, from the screenshots, yes, the game does look like shit to me. But deeper than that, I really hope that this whole trend of showcasing bulletproof drug dealers dies very suddenly, and very quietly. We've got assholes like Tookie Williams living in the real world today, who really do kill innocent people for twenty dollars and spout one liners as they watch them die. Do we really need characters elevated and revered as cool for killing cops like in the 50 Cent Game, GTA San Andreas, 187 Ride or Die, 25 to Life, etc.?

I say, no. Bring on more Alex Munros and Max Paynes.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #14
Xenogenetic
Addict

I WAS BORN IN NEW YORK CITY AND I SAW HOMELESS PEOPLE ALL THE TIME AND DANGEROUS LOOKING BLACK PEOPLE AND PEURTO RICANS AND THE OCCASIONAL HOMICIDAL PSYCHO LOOKING WHITE GUY AND WHEN I WAS FOUR I HAD TO HIDE BEHIND A HOTDOG STAND BECAUSE THE COPS WERE SHOOTING AND CHASING A GUY THROUGH CENTRAL PARK AND I DONT CARE AT ALL THAT GAMES LIKE THIS EXIST! But maybe its because of my Don't Worry Be Happy way of living life. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 AM   #15
MeatPuppet
Level Designer

I think that picture shows a group of developers that are glad that game is gone. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now they can get on with better things.
MeatPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Quote:
Originally posted by Frightener:
That's correct, Ritual only created a bunch of assets (models, textures, multiplayer levels) and some multiplayer code for the game - there wasn't any actual design or gameplay work done on that title.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote