Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #51
Cynosure
Regular

Default Re: Warning - Important Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda View Post
It's called a demo, you don't get demos of albums do you?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...nodeId=3100231
Cynosure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #52
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Simple way to show how much piracy actually hurt's gaming industry, i just checked some torrent about unnamed game 1 copy -> 2894 downloaders at that time, so ppl who claims that it really doesn't hurt anything are just stupid ****ers, go figure the numbers of actually downloaded copies. Even i hear from some of my friends, that i'm stupid because i buy my games, because i could have downloaded them My answer to them is always the same, would they do their jobs without getting payed? No, they wouldn't...
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #53
Raveness
Veteran

Of course piracy hurts the game industry, but by how much can be, and usually is, overexxagerated.

I doubt all of those 2894 downloaders would have spent money on a full retail copy if there was no other option. Until thorough studies are done revealing what actual losses based on consumer decisiveness would be, then it's just a bunch of posturing.

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #54
Standoff
Veteran

Even if it is, or even if studies are done, it is still a problem. I'm not saying they all would've bought it, but I would guess many would become honest if there was no other option. See console piracy. Sure, it does happen, but it happens a lot less because the methods of doing it are invasive.

Some jackass was trying to tell me about all the things I could afford if I stopped buying games, and at that point I blocked his dumb ass on MSNmsgr.

As to rencrypting the game every exit....yeah, right. That would take forever. I don't want my Steam client to stay open that long every time I close a game, and besides that would make it so you still could access the file while playing the game with the right tools.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #55
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfacter View Post
I woke up today and found a message from one of my buddies. He told me that he had downloaded a HACKED version of SiN:E. I don't know how the hell that's possible, but apparently people are doing it. I thought I should let Ritual know so steps can be taken to stop it. If I have to pay 20 bucks to play, so should everyone else.
You should slap your friend silly and pour milk down his nose...

--------------------
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #56
Raveness
Veteran

I wasn't saying it wasn't a problem Standoff, but people seem to think it's a direct 1:1 ratio of lost sales, and until someone does some thorough studies, for all we know it could be a small margin that would have switched to full retail purchase. Right now you're just guessing at their decision, which unfortunately doesnt mean a lick.

--------------------
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #57
Standoff
Veteran

Nobody said it would be a 1:1 conversion, theres a lot of lost sales out there in China and Russia that are there precisely because they don't have an economy established that can really support gaming (IMO, I'm no expert.)

But at least it'd get rid of the wankers like that guy I just spoke of. I'd go find him and kick him, but it wouldn't be satisfying enough.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 AM   #58
Apprentice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Russell View Post
Theft or infringement, it still has a greater effect on a developer like Ritual than it does on a larger publisher.
Maybe you should've thought of that before using a system in which pirates are able to pirate the games directly from legitimate content servers, which I've stated several times (and more issues) before they were wimpled away as

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice
<A bunch of opinions and a single question>

Has Ritual clearly considered all the aspects that Steam has to offer ??
Yes.
To me, Ritual only gets what it deserves. By using an on-line distribution system (in Ritual's case: Steam) that has proven to be vulnerable at best, which enables software pirates to download games directly from legit content servers over the good old fashioned physical CD/DVD media, thus adding to that part of the problem, void all Ritual's claims on or about software piracy.

If Ritual decided to release in this case Emergence in a conventional physical CD/DVD format and protected their release by a protection software such as Starforce, I believe that Ritual would have the right to complain and/or make statements about software piracy simply due to the fact that they have done almost anything or a great deal to prevent software piracy.

Ritual has made a choice in using an on-line distribution system and that choice came with a major consequence, one that made it easy for software pirates to pirate their game(s) and Ritual simply will have to live with . . .

--------------------
Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #59
Cynosure
Regular

Apprentice, that's the biggest load of BS I have ever heard. They shouldn't have to use ANY copyright protection. It's idiots like you that try and justify it somehow that are making the problem worse.
Cynosure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #60
Gothmog
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Gothmog

Piracy is piracy no matter whether the software is downloaded from the delivery platform server, via P2P network, or even if it's bought from the sinister guy at the market on sunday mornings. Ritual are no more deserving of having their game stolen than you are having your house broken into and robbed.

I don't mind using Steam now, at first I was hesitant, but when you own a lot of games, as I do, you find yourself running out of closet space. The Steam system, and others like it, that will eventually emerge, will irradicate this problem.

Eventually everything digital will be distributed like this, music, movies, games and so on; I think it's a good idea. Sure it has it's problems, as all new innovations do, but even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Sorry about the movie quote at the end there.

--------------------
"I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All that we need decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #61
snake289
Experienced

Send a message via AIM to snake289 Send a message via MSN to snake289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmog View Post
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Sorry about the movie quote at the end there.
you watch too much movies

--------------------

www.freewebs.com/snake289
snake289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #62
Stylsy
I'm on offense!

Send a message via MSN to Stylsy Send a message via Skype™ to Stylsy

I thought talk like a pirate day was yesterday...

--------------------
Stylsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #63
Hudson
Rookie

The interview with Mike Russel sparked an interesting debate between myself and others over the subject of piracy, copy protection and online activation on the 3DRealms forum.

I find it amazing how some people can rationalize and support theft.

--------------------

[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #64
Raveness
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylsy View Post
I thought talk like a pirate day was yesterday...

--------------------
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #65
Standoff
Veteran

People have been able to rationalize theft for thousands of years, why should now be any different? The only reason it's painful is because it's affecting the creators more than the sellers when it comes to digital goods.

It'll be dealt with or it won't, either way I'll always buy my stuff.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 AM   #66
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpapa View Post
My answer to them is always the same, would they do their jobs without getting payed? No, they wouldn't...
Acually making video-games is so time intesive and long, the only kinda people that really suvive in the buisness are peopel that would make games even if they weren't paid.

but i'll tell you one thing, they sure as hell need to get published, adn we shurly dont want theses people wokign at macdonals during the time they could spend making games...

and they should get a plasma screen TV and health insurence... maybe dental. DEFINATLY a company ski lodge (they have to ship in the fall so they grind in the summer)

quite simply, these people make people happy.

That means game design is probably the most moraly rewarding jobs ever. Its like being nice to people on a massive scale. I think they should get money for what they do.

and damn if you a pirate, your stealing from people that make people happy, you son a *****! you should work hard to get money to buy your games.

And if you live in the former soveit block or in russia and you download these games. stop. I know you're life is not great, but that doesnt mean you can steal games from developers. Their relationships, social lives, and sleep are all cruely beaten to a gored state because they make games to make people happy.
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:32 AM   #67
Standoff
Veteran

I've known enough people in the US and Canada that do it, singling people out cause they live in Russia seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #68
Namor
Rookie

And you`ve forgot about economical situation in Russia.. I`m sure, that 90 % of PC users just can`t afford to buy genuine software. When they earn 200 $ per month (and it`s quite good salary) and game costs 20$ So, pirates use this situation and sell their copies. It`s naturally that people think at first about themselves, and than about game developers So if the government want to reduce the piracy, than they should not to destroy pirate discs on public, as they do, but to rise salaries!.. to stop war! .. etc.. etc.. I`ve finished,yes (and by the way, I don`t think that all the gamers of ex- USSR are informed about hard work of game developers)
Namor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #69
Raveness
Veteran

Yep, in some places, there markets are so bad it's either get the pirated copy or never play it

--------------------
Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #70
Standoff
Veteran

And there you go.

**MICROSOFT says sales in Russia have surged 72 per cent in the year to July as piracy declined and incomes rose, boosting demand for licensed products.

Microsoft sold more than two million copies of its Windows XP operating system in the year ended June 30, 76 per cent more than in the previous 12 months, the company says, without divulging exact figures.
Russia's economy, boosted by high oil prices, is growing for an eighth straight year, allowing more people to buy products and services such as computer programs.

Microsoft says it is hiring staff in Russia's regions and opening offices in more cities to tap into demand as more people benefit from the boom.

"Russian consumers and companies are investing in the development of software and the piracy level in the country is decreasing a lot faster than in other regions of the world," Microsoft Rus chief executive Birger Steen says.

The national piracy rate fell four percentage points last year, to 83 per cent from 87 per cent of the market, Microsoft says.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #71
Namor
Rookie

Standoff, not all people in Russia are owners of oil-derricks :P I`m sure 90% of population don`t see the difference they even have to pay higher prices for gas and petrol too Sorry for the offtop
Namor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #72
Standoff
Veteran

Umm.......what's your point? I never implied they were. I never implied anything about them really. I just pointed out their piracy rate is going down pretty fast.