Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Tech Help

Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
Glock
Rookie

Default Full Screen Antialiasing / Antistrophic Filtering

Hi,

I just got the game and I have some questions regarding advanced video options. I have configured my videocard (Radeon 9800 Pro) to run with 4*AA and 16*AF. Do the videocard options override the options set in advanced video options (I was thinking specially the options "Full Screen Antialiasing" and "Antistrophic Filtering")?

When I enabled the "Full Screen Antialiasing" and "Antistrophic Filtering", the game chrashed.
Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
Glock
Rookie

Default Re: Full Screen Antialiasing / Antistrophic Filtering

By the way: The crasch i got was in the first level, when spawning in the beginning at the borg-level. That is not a problem any longer since i just disabled antialiasing and antistrophic filtering in advanced video options. Maybe that could help some peeps that have chrashes at the beginning of the first level.

The games runs veeeeeeeery smooooooth at 1280*1024 with everything boosted to maximum and 4*AA and 16*AF. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
God, I love my ATI-card [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Mango
Veteran

Default Re: Full Screen Antialiasing / Antistrophic Filtering

If by smooth you mean 50 fps then yeah. But i prefer a constant 109 fps (stupid bug in ef2 doesnt let me get any higher than that) So i just stick to a nice cosy 2*AA
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Default Re: Full Screen Antialiasing / Antistrophic Filter

You only need a consistent above 72 for smoothness, anything about 75 is meaningless.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
Mango
Veteran

Im gonna have to disagree with you on that one champ. Before my computer upgrade i used to cap it at 76 and was acceptable. Now im able to cap it to 125 and i notice a much more stable playing field and smoother movement especially when in a tense gun battle with a lot of enemies around me.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
Glock
Rookie

When it comes to MP I agree with u guys, but for SP I think 40 and above is enough.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:42 AM   #7
MrPsycho
Veteran

What do you have your monitors refresh rate set at?

My monitor doesn't go high so mine is at 75hz. So I enable vsync, which throws away any frames you get above 75 fps as extra.

If you don't enable vsync you'll get visual distortions in your image which usually appear as a split frame, and occur when your fps is above your monitors refresh rate. So your refresh rate must be pretty high if you like your fps consistantly at 125.

Oh and btw, for an image to be fluid all you need is about 30fps. Beyond that *technically* your eye can't determine it. But I don't believe any of that anyways [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
MrPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:13 AM   #8
ratty_redemption
Experienced

the 30 fps is a benchmark used in film and video, where we normally get some motion blur... but since first person games don`t have this effect, the fps need to be (in theory) at least twice that number when viewing sideways or fast moving objects...

I`m sure most people would say 30 fps is fine if we`re just slowly walking around an empty map, but any action and we`re more likely to want 60 or above.

I learnt this when I used to be a 3d artist, animator (before I got into games modding) ...the animations I made which were usually only 24 fps, which I think is what film is, looked awful if I left out motion blur on the moving objects ...luckily I didn`t have to tell the compiler to apply the effect to the whole scene as they would of taken weeks to compile [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

this is partly why aa looks better (although my current system isn`t powerful enough to use it in ef2) as it makes fast moving objects blend into the background more around their edges and although it isn`t as realistic as motion blur, it is a step in the right direction [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

when we eventually have game engines that can dynamically (and smoothly) apply this effect, then we`ll probably be able to lower our fps to about 30.
ratty_redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
Mango
Veteran

The bright light projected on the white screen In theatres in a dark room doesn't need many fps because the light gets burnt into our eyes in between frames and its not as noticible (if that makes any sense). I have my monitor refresh rate set to 100 when using 1280x1024 res. And the reason why i use 125 fps is the same reason why people cap it to 55 or 76 fps, it makes you jump, run, and plasma climb (quake 3) faster/higher. I think the next number in the sequence is 255 fps but i cant reach that much consistantly. Plus most servers cap the fps to 125 anyway.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:50 PM   #10
ratty_redemption
Experienced

I didn`t know that about cinema projection but it does make sense, so would that mean that playing a brightly lit game in a dark room have a similar effect? ...and is this why if we wave our hand in front of our monitors or tv`s we get some "trails"?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:40 PM   #11
Mango
Veteran

Well im no expert on these things. But the trail that we see when we wave our hands in front of the monitor is similar to the effect that you get at nightclubs when your raving to that bright flashing white light [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The light only flashes once every 1/10th of a second, it makes everyone look like they are moving in a stop start manner because our eyes dont have time to adjust to the dark, hence slowing our vision to 10 frames per second. So if you are to wave your hand in front of the monitor, depending on how fast it is refreshing itself, the trails will become less noticable. But if you are to wave your hand away from the monitor, you will not get any trails, just a blur from point A to point B because the environment is moving at infinity frames per second.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:08 PM   #12
ratty_redemption
Experienced

ah, I forgot about "strobe lights" but I never knew how they worked before, interesting [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and I guess it`s the light from the rest of the room which appears infinitely fast (constant) since we can`t see faster then the speed of light, yes? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
Evolution
Regular

We can't see much faster than 100 hz :P The light from the room simply dampens the effect, that's all.
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:29 PM   #14
ratty_redemption
Experienced

yeah that would make more sense [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

and do they know what the max frequency our brains can calculate at? ...I guess it`s no where near the speed of light?