Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Tech Help

Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
kitzingmarko
Casual

Default full screen antialiasing

Got a new graphics card and thought I install the game again, this time setting everything to maximum. But the full screen anti-aliasing option makes the game unplayable, I couldn't even use the menus, because it was to slow.
What card and/or CPU do I need for smooth gameplay with full screen AA?
I have a Radeon 9600pro (with catalyst 3.9) and an AMD XP 2500+ and 512 MB RAM.
The latest patch of EF2 is installed.
Is there a bug? Has it something to do with ATI? Or is the card simply not good enough?

Marko
kitzingmarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Cube
Regular

Default Re: full screen antialiasing

are u saying you cant get in 2 ef2 now, coz uve set the resolution 2 high??

if so go in2 ur config file and find the word mode written in it (i think its only written in there once) and there will be a number next 2 it, put a lower number in its place, this will lower the resolution
Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
Raichu
Veteran

If you cant find the mode thingy you can always delete your config file. Your cofing file name should be your Windows logon username
________
FORD CENTER

Last edited by Raichu : 04-02-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
kitzingmarko
Casual

No I'm not saying, I can't get into ef2 because of a too high resolution. If you read my first post again you will learn, that I was talking about full screen antialiasing. And I don't need to write config files, I simply start the game in savemode and configure it the way I want to.
The problem (sorry for repeating) is that full screen AA slows down the game completely. And my question was if this is a bug of the driver or the game of if my gf card is just to small for this.

Marko
Old 11-26-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
Robbiesan
Veteran

there's a good chance it's the card.. although a decent card the 9600 series just doesn't have enough pipes to power through AA.. it chugs down quite a bit.. you could try overclocking the core and memory a little to see if it will help but I doubt you will see a big difference..

that's the hardware side of things.. on the software side the drivers make a big difference.. always keep in mind new doesn't mean better.. you may want to drive previous drivers to see if there's any difference.. I am using Cat3.7 but I'm still using an 8500 so AA is irrelevant on my end.. you could 3.8, 3.7, 3.4 etc and see what happens.. I hear 3.10 is due out sometime soon and would recommend trying that set also..

with that, make sure you are removing the previous drivers properly, not just uninstall, to ensure you are using the correct files for each driver set each time you try a different set.. this means deleting from the Windows\system32\drivers folder and ATI folder etc and also removing leftover registry entries..

here's a link for the guide to removing ATI drivers properly and is well worth learning.. once you get the hang of this process it will be a lot quicker for future driver updates..
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #6
kitzingmarko
Casual

Quote:
there's a good chance it's the card.. although a decent card the 9600 series just doesn't have enough pipes to power through AA.. it chugs down quite a bit.. you could try overclocking the core and memory a little to see if it will help but I doubt you will see a big difference..

that's the hardware side of things.. on the software side the drivers make a big difference.. always keep in mind new doesn't mean better.. you may want to drive previous drivers to see if there's any difference.. I am using Cat3.7 but I'm still using an 8500 so AA is irrelevant on my end.. you could 3.8, 3.7, 3.4 etc and see what happens.. I hear 3.10 is due out sometime soon and would recommend trying that set also..

with that, make sure you are removing the previous drivers properly, not just uninstall, to ensure you are using the correct files for each driver set each time you try a different set.. this means deleting from the Windowssystem32drivers folder and ATI folder etc and also removing leftover registry entries..

here's a link for the guide to removing ATI drivers properly and is well worth learning.. once you get the hang of this process it will be a lot quicker for future driver updates..
There were no old ATI Drivers, because the card is new and I had an nVidia card before. The old drivers are gone completely, I used a driver cleaner.
The funny thing is, if I set AA and AF to maximum in the Windows Display Properties there is no performance hit at all...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
DarknessKnight15
Experienced

What is full screen antialiasing do anyway?
DarknessKnight15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
DaeGen
Casual

Anti aliasing removes the jaggies, making things look nicer. You say you have put everything to maximum AND turned on FSAA. The way FSAA works is that you cant antialias at maximum resolution (it would be pointless, and if it does let you its probably not well optimised). If you want 2*2 FSAA, you need to have your grapihics resolution set at most to half its maximum. If you want 4*4 FSAA you have to set it at most to a quarter of the maximum. Also, I dont think any ordinary computer for the next ten years is going to be able to run ef2 completely maxed out.
DaeGen is offline   Reply With Quote