Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Heavy Metal FAKK2

Old 06-10-2001, 04:17 PM   #1
simoom

Default The game story and other items

Well I finally went back to the game and finished it after a year of first starting the game. Did anyone else feel that the second half of the game and the ending was a total letdown story-wise?

I know they planned on a sequel and the ending is pretty much just saying that there was a sequel, but the story was SO strong in the beginning but so so so many points never got played out. Like that dung hauler guy, Jonah or whatever, he seemed like a key character in the beginning, but then we never see him again. And that little girl with the doll, Ariel, what was her story?

Another point is were the astroids that contained warning messages from the good guys or what? They arrived side by side with Gith's ship in the opening sequence, were they meant to weaken the shield around the planet? If not, why didn't Gith just destroy them?

And if Gith's forces were not pure enough of heart and soul or whatever to enter the Tomb of the WE themselves, howcome the Temple and the various test grounds were swarming with Soul Harvesters, Fleshbinders, and Happy Masks?

That leaves the ending. Now, I don't mind that a game ends by advertising a sequel, but at least give us a little more than that will ya? I mean, I genuinely thought it was just leading to the next level, but it totally left me hanging. At least set up the sequel with a little more story, but it just ends. Hugely disappointing.

And on Ritual's official website, there's a little teaser on the bottom of the homepage that says, "What’s two feet tall, wears sneakers, and will suck your soul from your body with a straw? Play the game you’ll find out." It's accompanied by a little picture of the creature next to it. Well I sure as hell didn't see that creature in the game, did you?

And further more, on the same site, under the Game Characters page, there're six pictures of different enemies you were suppose to encounter. Three of them weren't even in the game! And one of them, the Zealot, only made a breif appearance as a flat 2-d image in the warning probe.

Of course, the game had alot of characters that weren't on the website, but the whole thing just reinforces the feel that they didn't finish the game they set out to make.

I still loved the game as a whole though, Bisley's and Eastman's visual style were well represented and were completely refreshing. Just felt that the game was screaming 'Incomplete'. I'm curious as what the hardcore-Ritual-can-do-no-wrong fans thought about the ending and the storyline.

P.S. Is there any way to recharge the Horn of Conjuring?

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: simoom ]
simoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
skalmanxl
Regular

Default Re: The game story and other items

I agree with you, Im still wondering what's two feet tall and wears sneakers, cause I sure as hell didnt find any of that in the game. The game is more then slightly incoherant at certain points, and atleast I got the feeling from time to time "why am I doing this again?".

As for the art that never made it into the game, well, we can find several screens with content that we never spotted at all in FAKK2, something which actually was a bit of a letdown. We talked about this in a thread, where we talked wheather FAKK2 got chopped in order to sell more at walmart stores.

The game is excellent, but it does lack some major areas, like some loose ends that needed to be tied together, and the shortness of the game.
skalmanxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
Blackmark

Your question about the horn of conjuring prompts me to ask a question that's been bugging me about the horn. What's it good for? I've played through the game a couple of times and can't see anywhere a few flying bugs are going to help. Please enlighten me.
Blackmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 07:46 PM   #4
simoom

Well the horn is pretty much useless. It's pretty much a novelty item. I use it a couple times to take out Fleshbinders, Ghost Crawlix, or Dark Creepers, basically, slow moving monsters that can't react to the Mosquitos too well.

But the ammo is quite limited, and it's not a MUST-USE item. Pretty much like the Gaspod Sling and the Meteroite Sling.
simoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 12:21 AM   #5
Blackmark

Thanks for the info Simoom. Seems strange that the horn plays such a little part considering how hard it is to get. The first time, I missed the jump for the last rune so many times poor Julie developed flat feet, then I couldn't see the way back from the idols island. It was a bit of an ordeal. And ah yes, the gas pods. Didn't even think to try them on anything, and may not get the chance. Unfortunately FAKK2 has developed an allergy to something and won't run for more than a couple of minutes before shutting me down.
Blackmark is offline   Reply With Quote