Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
mercurius420
Regular

Default Just finished my first run through original sin...

And I have to say, I really enjoyed it, I particularly enjoyed the interactive music score that would kick in whenever I shot my gun. I wasted a ton of ammo just shooting at nothing just to listen to the music.

Not only can't I wait for SiN: emergence to get out, but I can't wait to see some of the higher end weapons from sin 1 in use today.

So, anyone else wanna share their thoughts on sin 1 so far?
mercurius420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert
Default Re: Just finished my first run through original si

I've only played the first few levels just to get a feel for the game (got a bunch of homework and ... Oblivion...). Heh, but liking it so far.
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
motoko2030
Experienced

Default Re: Just finished my first run through original sin...

I have finished Sin 1 for my very first time and I enjoyed playing all the way through it and I can't wait until Emergence is downloaded onto my PC.
motoko2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
Ajaxkron

Loving it. I hate myself for neglecting this game for all these years!
I wish I had a flashlight though...
Ajaxkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Yeah some of those dark areas are really really dark and I run out of the flares fast.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
Lord_Rick
Experienced

one way to solve the problem is typing

intensity 2
vid_restart

into the console, should brighten things up a bit [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i played sin when it first came out and loved it! (musta played the demo 100 times) i sort of forgot about it, im really glad its having a revival and a sequel! Ritual FTW!
Lord_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
motoko2030
Experienced

I found those commands to be really useful when playing through areas that were very dark.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Standoff
Veteran

Yeah that stuff is crezzy I can't count the number of times I couldn't see squat in the bank...hope they're working on it.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
H4d3s
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Standoff:
Yeah that stuff is crezzy I can't count the number of times I couldn't see squat in the bank...hope they're working on it.
it seems to be a general issue of quake/quake2 based games, don't know if they can do much about it. even quake2 doesn't have an official fix for the darkness problems.

btt: i played through sin for the first time last november, when i heard about sin: episodes. i had played some sin multiplayer the time it came out with some friends via lan at a birthday party but then forgotten about it. so last year i searched ebay to get it and, well, i was excited. great shooter, very much fun. one of the best of its time and even today. a pittty, that i waited so long...
H4d3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Standoff
Veteran

Ugh. Well I've never played it before, so either way I hope they/NVIDIA/whoever can fix it. It's really destroying the game for me.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #11
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JezzyBall

Guys. YOu don't have to suffer.

Add these to your config or set up an auto exec // At the very least just drop the console (~) and type

intensity 1 // then enter
gl_modulate 2.0 // then enter
vid_restart // then enter

Problem solved.
JezzyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
Lord_Rick
Experienced

above method looks better than mine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
Standoff
Veteran

Nice, if that works I'll be a happy man. I'll look into it later. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
ParadoX
Director of Development

There are a few other good ways to make it brighter:

in the console:
intensity 3 or 4 does a good job increasing the overall brightness.
vid_restart will apply the changes

Other stuff to modify:
vid_gamma .2 (lower the number, the brighter it will be, for some reason the brightness slider in the menus only lowers this number to .5)
gl_modulate 2.0 or higher (makes weapon models and objects in the world brighter)

Hopefully in a later version we will address more of these issues, add these commands to the menus and adjust the slider values.

Also, some video cards have application management controls that allow you to modify brightness / gamma / etc.. from the video card driver directly. Useful if none of these options above work for you.
ParadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #15
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

=== EDITED FOR COMPLETENESS ===

I just checked out Sin Steam again and experimented a bit with the intensity and gl_modulate values, and I took some screenshots to compare the results.

First, what they do:
intensity <number> - sets the saturation of colours in the environment (excluding menu graphics). Saturation in this case means that the higher the value, the more vibrant the colours will look, but since the intensity level of every colour is multiplied, this will also increase brightness with bright colours and depth with dark colours.

gl_modulate <number> - sets the transparency level of shadows in the environment and thereby the brightness of surfaces and models. The lower the value, the darker shadow maps will appear on any surface, reducing colour vibrancy and brightness. The higher the value, the more transparent shadow maps will become, leaving more room for colouring and vibrancy to come through.

Now, one note of caution first. If you increase one of the two values too much (say 3 or 4), you will get ugly results. Too much intensity means too much brightness for lightspots, to the point where you won't see the surface texture anymore. Intensity is generally quite a sensitive value and just a .1 can make a difference. In general, don't go higher than 2 for this (actually lower). If you overdo it with gl_modulate, shadow maps will completely disappear at a certain point, and you'll be left with a map that looks like it wasn't lightmapped at all.

Determining the ideal value for both commands:
I've found that 1.5 is ideal for both on my 19" CRT screen while having the gamma slider at 60% (vid_gamma at 0.84). 1.5 for intensity will definitely give the game a much more vibrant look, a little more saturated than it was in the non-Steam version, but not overly so. It will make lightspots clearly bright without overbrightening them and you will find that light sources look shiny enough to be convincing. If you want even more vibrancy and you like extreme lighting, try intensity 1.75 or 2, but not more.
Complementing the right intensity value is an equal value of 1.5 for gl_modulate. This will brighten up the shadows so that the colours you just set up can shine. The darker the shadows are, the more colour vibrancy they will swallow, so the higher the gl_modulate value, the more you can get out of Sin's colouring. While 1.5 is a nice value to see everything on most screens (provided the gamma is sufficient), you might want to try gl_modulate 2 to get an even brighter picture which might also appeal a little more to you if you like deep colours; however anything beyond 2 will brighten up the game too much and leave too much vibrancy behind, resulting in an unnatural look.

It's important to set up both values correctly. Only upping one of the two won't give you the right picture as it will either leave the colours washed out or the environment too dark to see in shadowy areas (see screenshots).

These screenshots provide a comparison of values, so you can find the right balance for you. Notice how the dark area in the lower level of the map gains vibrancy and brightness as the values are increased, but how this affects the bright lightspot to the left of the picture.

balancing of intensity and gl_modulate values
fine-tuning of both values
comparison of extreme values

Quote:
And I have to say, I really enjoyed it, I particularly enjoyed the interactive music score that would kick in whenever I shot my gun. I wasted a ton of ammo just shooting at nothing just to listen to the music.
You might want to download my Sin soundtrack remix compilation at FilePlanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/156410/150...undtrack-Remix
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
Lord_Rick
Experienced

thanks for the info madmax! (already downloaded the soundtrack from fileplanet [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Vazel

Thanx for that MadMax, cleared things up for me. The darkness in this game was annoying.
Vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
motoko2030
Experienced

Thanks for the info and the comparisons, they really cleared up my problem of certain sections of the level being too dark.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
Radox
Casual

Sin is my favorite FPS of all time! I completed it immediately after it came out in late 1998. Since then, I must've completed it more than a dozen times [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I think it's still a great deal of entertainment. I even made a mod, spreading more enemies through the levels, and also extending the use of some weapons (i.e - the pulse rifle). You might want to check it out in the "original sin" section of this forum. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Radox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #20
motoko2030
Experienced

Thanks for creating the mod, one of my favorite weapons to use during the game is the pulse rifle.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #21
Monstroooo
Rookie

Did anyone else notice the signs around that read 'Do not play with the Valve'? Makes me wonder how much inflence the release of Half-Life really had over the game. Also made me chuckle [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I might try and dig out some screenshots later.

Monstroooo is offline   Reply With Quote