Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 04-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default Favorite/Most Intense FPS Moments

We've all had those moments when playing a first person shooter where our pulse quickens, we start to sweat, adrenalin surges through our veins, and we feel the intensity.

For some, it's the sound of the CyberDemon walking around the relative safety of the inner sanctum at the end of the second episode of "Doom." For others, it's the pitter-patter of face huggers running around in "Aliens vs. Predator." For still others, it's the six minute race for survival at the end of "Halo."

If you had to pick your three favorite FPS moments or your three most intense FPS moments, what would they be?
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: Favorite/Most Intense FPS Moments

Mine would have to be on Far Cry when you reach the "Waterfall" level. You are stranded on an island with no weapons at all and trigens are all around. You are heavily outnumbered and the trigens are incredibly fast.

Second would have to be the race to survival at the end of Halo.

Third would be in Half Life when you are captured and are thrown into the trash compactor. It slowly closes in on you until you notice a way out by climbing some boxes.

Good Times!
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
M3rl1n
Veteran

For me personally there has yet to be anything in a single player game that’s been really memorable. It’s just not real enough to be intense and cause your memory to store it, at least not in the same way. You look back on the game with a fond memory because you enjoyed playing it, but that’s about it. There aren’t specific emotions attached to any part of the game.

You know if you screw up you can reload, so there’s nothing on the line - no risk, no intensity - not memorable, and if you pull it off - well, it’s only a game.

Online is a different matter. There have been some intense and memorable moments during clan matches, but then that’s real. It’s just about as close to being a sport as you can get without actually being a sport. But even that’s cutting it close because you’re still detached from the reality.

If a single player game could actually pull off those intense moments it would be quite a feat I think.

Meh, not sure if that helps, or answers the question. I’d like (I think…not sure if taking a game that serious would be a good thing or not) to be able to look back on some of the games I’ve played and think “damn that was intense/memorable…” but that’s just not the case [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but I may just be an oddity [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Do you ever watch a movie or TV show and think, "Wow, that was intense" or "I can't believe that just happened!" If so, what is it from TV/movies that helps create those moments that games are missing?

-Reid
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
kevin442
Fanboy

Oh ya I forgot to add that another intense moment was holding the Pegasus Bridge in Call of Duty for 10 minutes.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
M3rl1n
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BrushBaron:
Do you ever watch a movie or TV show and think, "Wow, that was intense" or "I can't believe that just happened!" If so, what is it from TV/movies that helps create those moments that games are missing?

-Reid
A good question, and one that crossed my mind while I was writing that post, and it’s the real money winner. I honestly don’t have an answer right off the top of my head - whoever figures it out is going to have one kick ass game on their hands.

There have been moments in movies where you could taste the emotion - where it pulled you in so deep that the “real” world just faded out around you and that is what is missing from games.

The most recent example from me would have to be “The Last Samurai” - the last battle in that drew me all the way in. It was intense, it was memorable. It was perfect execution. But that whole movie was executed well - I’ve only seen it once but if I was an artist I could redraw every scene.

(of course The Lord of the Rings had any number of these moments as well, even Star Wars which is not a master piece of movie art had moments like these)

I suppose it’s a compilation of everything - the photography, the sounds, the music, and the actors, and the story.

The whole movie can have a good mix, but those memorable, intense moments are where that mix goes from ‘good’ to ‘perfect’ - the best places would be at the climax or turning points in the story. That’s where twice the effort should be put into the ‘scene’ to make sure it’s perfect.

An example of a game that dropped the ball on this (and no offense is meant, cause I loved this game, and the developer) but during Knights of the Old Republic when you find out you’re Revan it didn’t hit home as hard as it should have.

I should be able to recall exactly what I was feeling at that moment, if it had been pulled off well - but I don’t. The entire game is blurred together into the “was fun to play” category, and that’s it.

Another more specific example of this (again no offense meant to anyone, but examples help…) would be in EF2 on the Dallas’ bridge when you replay the last Captain’s log - instead of being caught up in the emotions of this last message we’re distracted by a poor quality image on the view screen (an instance where the limits of the engine were not considered enough - where less could have been more - and because of that the mood was killed).

Edit - I think it's important for games to stay well within the limits of what they are capable of to make sure that poor quality is not the reason why a memorable moment is passed by, not because high visual necessarily equate to memorable moments, but because the contrast of high vs. low of anything is distracting - it's important to limit distractions and keep the player engaged.

Whereas during Star Trek: TNG episode (I think it was called ‘Booby Trap’) when they play the final log you could feel the goose bumps and the chill run down your spine - and even though I haven’t seen it in years, I remember that.

But what draws a person in is also going to depend on the person. Just like learning some people are visual, some audio, so it’s important to have the proper mix off both.

Anyway, more musings from me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Xenogenetic
Addict

The most intense time was when I first played the CSS Beta and had killed the last three terrorists and was defusing the bomb, but then I noticed when I checked the scores that there was another terrorist alive and I turned around and he was about to knife me, but I shot him. Too bad shooting stops your bomb defuse and the timer was only 45 seconds, I may have won otherwise.
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
Bicko
Veteran

One of the more intense moments I've been in have occured while playing Aliens vs Predator 2, the fear at the start of the human campaign and when exploring that area on your own was extreme.

There were also moments in Silent Hill 1 & 2 that were really intense, like when you run down that alleyway and all those little buggers are mobbing you, or when you meet your first zombie, or when you were in the apartments and there's all the noises and music that make you feel like you're about to get the most grusome death ever handed out to you.

I think that setting a time-limit on a situation makes it far more intense.. because you're trying to accomplish your goal but you know you have to do it soon. EF2 had a few of these moments.

And of course, Half-Life 1 had the best intense moments. One I can think of would be where you have to kill that tentacle thing by turning on the rocket engine.
Bicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
warrior
Fanboy

Getting off the boat on the beach landing in MOHAA. That was pretty scary. Everyone in front of you gets mowed down..... then you have to run and hide behind all the obstacles to not get shot to pieces... yeah, that rocked.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
STATIC3D
Addict

Hmmm...yet another good question. Gotta love Ritual if for no other reason than they actually communicate with their fanbase (and do it on a more "real" level than other developers). :}

Okay, so onto the topic at hand...Pulse quickening moments. To me, there are sort of two different types of pulse quickening moments. On one hand there are the "what the h3ll was that" spooky types of moments. On the other hand, there are the "holy Sh*t!" (to quote John R. Blade) moments.

As for spooky moments:
A couple from Clive Barkers Undying come to mind:
1) Walking up to a mirror, seeing a reflection of a guy appear over my shoulder, turning around and seeing NOTHING while hearing his evil laff fade away.
2) Walking into a room and hearing the laughter of children while knives and plates were being picked up and hurled at me. The sound made you look around, then the next think you know stuff was flying at you from any direciton.

As for "Holy Sh*t" moments...hmmmm....
This one is a bit harder for me as I've played SO many FPS games over the years that I've become a bit descensitized to some of the things (or, at the least seen the same kinda stuff so many times, that it doesn't have the same effect any more).

Some of the better moments I can remember over the years are/were...
1) Riding/Exiting the boat in the first of the Russian campaign in Call of Duty. Having your bell rung right as you get to "safety" was kinda messed up. Then, having to run up a hill (into a wall of flying lead) just added to it.

2) Any game that has a SH*T LOAD of "things" coming at you from a distance that you must tear thru with your weapon(s) before they get to you. Just think Serious Sam. You knew they were coming, but you had the ability to take them out before they were on top of you (if you knew how to aim...lol). I guess this is more of a "fun" pulse quickening than a "OMG" thing thou.

3) Having AI in a game that actually works as TEAM with you (rather than against you by being crappy). Too many games end up pairing you with AI that ends up being more of a hinderence than a help. Okay, so how does this quicken my pulse? It helps the immersive experience of feeling like you are having to work as a team rather than a "one man army" with some buddies (dumb@$$e$...lol). It's just cool to see the battle going on around you without it focusing ONLY on you. Call of Duty did a bit of this pretty well. Even thou you were the "main" character, you could rely on the AI to help out at times pretty well. Even with the heavy scripting, they didn't "always" do things the same way (i.e. leaving it "just" for you EVERY time to do something).

Things that I DON'T like are "cheap hits" meant to spark the player's reaction. It's an "attempt" at making the player's pulse quicken, but, it often comes off as more of a frustration and "cheap heat" (to use a wrestling term...lol). It's like the developers are more interested in screwing with the player than actually seeing things from the player's POV.

A perfect example of this to me was DooM 3. There were WAY too many times when "cheap" hits used in that game. Sure, it may have caught you off guard, but even if you WERE on guard, you still got hit without any "option" (i.e. being on guard didn't make a difference).

Okay, that's all I can think of right now... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 PM   #11
BrushBaron
Level Designer

One of my most memorable moments from CoD was when an AI guy saved my life. We (the british) were storming that prison camp to rescue some captain or something and the whole group of us are moving rather quickly towards our objective. Russians (I think) are coming around buildings and out of them to attack us outside as we charge. Well, just after finishing off about 3 guys I resume my forward charge and around the corner comes a russian, I shoot but miss, I go to shoot again and I'm out of ammo with him charging straight for me. "Oh shit!" crosses my mind just when one of my teammates comes from the left and shoots him down. I saw the whole thing happen within my view instead of my teammate being outside of view. It couldn't have been scripted better and yet, it wasn't scripted at all. Immediately I connected with that AI teammate. Sadly, he didn't make it on the way back and it pissed me off! "He saved my life!!" I kept thinking.

That doesn't happen everyday in the world of video games.

-Reid
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
JimmyC
Experienced

I'd have to go with the CyberDemon in Doom as my most memorable. Hearing those footsteps before you ever saw the thing really set me on edge. Also the Revanants from the original Doom. After you get your ass kicked a few times, hearing that call makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on edge.

The first time I started Unreal was also an extremely awesome gaming experience. Hearing the growls of the aliens - knowing they're all around you, but not having any weapons and not knowing what to expect just set me on edge. The hallway with the lights going out was also quite memorable, but it actually seems to get lamer and lamer each time I go throught it since.

Finally, I'd have to go with almost the whole game Call of Duty. It just feels so real when you're playing. They really captured the chaos of battle. The sound is perfect. People shouting for help all around you. Your squad providing you actual cover. The immersion that game achieved is like no other game I've played to date.

JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Malakai

I'm going to have to split it into "wow" factor, and scary factor.

Scary Factor:
1. The haunted hotel/mansion in Vampire: Bloodlines. That scared me something rotten. My housemate came into my room when i was doing that level and i had turned a paler shade of white and sweating like hell i was so scared. Argh that guy walking with the axe still gives me shivers when i think about it.
2. System Shock 2. There were a number of levels that had me on edge, but probably the first one where you dont know whats going on was most memorable or when you finally meet the Secuirty Officer on floor 5. Great moments from an outstanding game.
3. The whole human campaign in both AvP1 and 2. Really gave you the sense of uselessness and being totally outclassed.

Wow Factor:
1. MoH normandy landing coupled with the Stalingrad mission in CoD. Both brilliantly scripted sequences that really pulled you in
2. The defending the hill mission in Vietcong when enemies were attacking from every direction at once.
3. The first mission in Deus Ex. It really showed off the game's abilities in multiple pathways to complete an objective, not to mention at the time the graphics were great.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote