Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #26
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert
Default Re: You wanted BLADE TALK in Emergence? Look here!

Actually no. I don't want it finished soon. I want it finished RIGHT. Sure, go ahead and release us a "quickie" if you want, but if you feel like you need to spend a few weeks on it, be my guest. Either way, I'll pick it up when it's done. Thanks for the work that you've done.
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #27
Sarkie
Community Moderator

I only had a little play this morning, its very cool with the X scripted button, but when it is activated after killing someone, the expression sounded like it was in one place, so if i kill someone and run away from that spot, it sounds like that the direction of which the sound is coming from. It might just be me and being tired [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #28
ertertwert
Fanboy

Yes, that is why it is "alpha." There is a bug in that it plays the sound from the enemy, rather than Blade. They are still working on it.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

Yo guys, might as well put my progress updates here as you're all reading this thread... I've just put in another funny dialog idea at the start of Supremacy Tower, and I also added some more lines to the U4 lab and the pit. Now Blade will give a cool comment when the Quadralux is defeated.
I'll be off for my band practice in a few mins and continue my work tonight. I probably won't have it finished and tested right before Friday, but since I'm having so much fun as I'm going, I think Friday or Saturday will see a release. And no, I don't need weeks to do something like this; I just edit sound files, it's nothing like "real" modding (coding, mapping, texturing).

I wonder why it sometimes happens that a speaking character stops moving their lips just because the game plays a sound file I added a response to... most of the time it works, but in some instances, adding Blade after the sentence of that character (like Jess) breaks that character's lipsynch (I'm simply removing those files again since I don't know a solution).
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
wisecode
Experienced

Send a message via MSN to wisecode

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax:
I wonder why it sometimes happens that a speaking character stops moving their lips just because the game plays a sound file I added a response to... most of the time it works, but in some instances, adding Blade after the sentence of that character (like Jess) breaks that character's lipsynch (I'm simply removing those files again since I don't know a solution).
Are you aware of the way Face Poser scripts work with NPCs in the Source Engine? The timeline for sounds and facial animations are separate.
wisecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #31
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

Kick ass.

I can play through Hitman: Blood Money til you get this finished and replay SiN Emergence this weekend. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #32
he_the_great
Regular

Awesome, this is going to be good.
he_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #33
deceiver
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to deceiver Send a message via MSN to deceiver

Question...will you have responses to some of the context look triggers?
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #34
MadMax
Veteran

Quote:
Question...will you have responses to some of the context look triggers?
Yeah, to some (I don't actually know how many of them are used in-game, and probably won't find out in one playthrough).
Old 05-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #35
nutcrackr
Experienced

that movie makes the sequence a hell of a lot more alive than before.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #36
David_Grove
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by nutcrackr:
that movie makes the sequence a hell of a lot more alive than before.
Agreed. I'm anxious for the real thing cause the responces seemed right on with what needed to be said.
David_Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #37
MadMax
Veteran

Okay guys, IT'S DONE.

And no, it's not too early to release. I estimated Friday or Saturday, but since today is a holiday here in Germany, I had all day to finish up the pack, revisit some maps and check scenes, write the readme file and post this message here [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Here's a snippet from the readme which also includes some historical and technical info:

Quote:
When Sin Episodes: Emergence was released, many fans of the original Sin game dearly missed John Blade's dialog with his sidekick JC and other non-player characters. While Blade was talking all the time in Sin, he is almost completely silent in Emergence while JC and Jessica keep talking to him throughout the game. In the spirit of Sin, ritualistic.com forum members djbell and programmer2 sat down and started working on a small voice pack that incorporated some of Blade's one-liners from Sin in Emergence, so that at least some of Blade's humor would be back in the new game.
Inspired by that, I looked for a way to include not just random comments but working responses to existing dialog in the game. The idea was to pick out the most appropriate (and if possible, funniest) of Blade's comments from Sin, then add these comments as responses to the dialog that can be heard in Emergence, so that whenever Jessica or JC talk to Blade and it's appropriate, he will respond with an intelligent or funny answer, or in some cases Blade will say something first and then receive the dialog from the character who is talking to him. This would make all of Emergence's conversation sound much more natural and really bring some of the Blade character back that we all know from Sin.

After installation, whenever you play a chapter of Emergence, there will be responses and comments by Blade in many situations where Emergence features face-to-face or radio dialog. Some chapters will have more Blade talk in them because there is generally more dialog to begin with that could be extended, and some areas of the game will still be rather silent because nobody is talking to Blade anyway. Also, in some scenes there could be a lot of very fitting and funny responses by Blade, whereas other situations might not be as entertaining, but I tried to include as much Blade as possible in the whole game based on what voice clips I found in Sin (and Wages of Sin). It's simply impossible to find a fitting response for EVERY situation that Blade encounters in Emergence when all the source material to work with is from Sin!
Make sure you read the installation info and the part about missing responses, and why they are missing (technical issue).

Now, I have paid webspace where I host my website and this space has a maximum traffic of 15 GB per month. Since the pack is a 20 MB RAR, I can't hold it there forever or my traffic limit could be met before the end of next month. That's why I'll take the file down from my space after a week and get it hosted at FilePlanet. I already have my Sin and Unreal II soundtracks there and it's free (I know, you have to wait, but... not for the next seven days!).

Till then, download the Blade Dialog Voice Pack here!

Give feedback in this thread if you feel like it, and tell me what you'd like to hear in a future revision (keeping in mind that it's all Blade chatter from Sin 1). And if anyone can answer this tech question from the readme, please post away.

Have fun!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #38
ertertwert
Fanboy

Hell yeah! *Downloads*

If you need additional hosting space, just let me know. I get 300gb a month.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #39
In5t16At0r
Rookie

excellent! I cant wait to try it out!
In5t16At0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #40
MadMax
Veteran

Guys, I've just replayed the complete docks chapter and... Blade is really very quiet there although I edited a number of files. I guess I missed some context look comments there that could use reworking. I'll do that tonight and post an additional pack tomorrow for those who already downloaded the complete pack today.
Blade WILL start speaking more by the end of the docks and into the U4 lab. (He's got to get used to the drug, you know! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 05-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #41
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

This was great to come home from work and find. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Downloading now... I'll take a shower, work out, eat and give SiN a playthrough.

Thanks man... can't wait. So much for playing Hitman: Blood Money. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #42
Dmio
Rookie

ok, gona paly thoough epidose, mark down where i think something can be added, play sin1 qucktime, giveu feed back, and can see what happens [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SIn DIe hard fan XD
Dmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #43
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

Started a new game and played up to when the mutants break out and you have to work your way out of the drug lab.

I love it. Really seems more alive and cool, having Blade comment on what's going on around him really draws me into the game more.
Great work man, can't wait to see what kindof updates you do to this.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #44
MadMax
Veteran

EDIT: Okay, can't edit the original post anymore, so the link is now invalid. The pack has been updated to v1.1 with a little more Blade talk for the docks. The NEW LINK to the NEW VERSION of the FULL PACK is now here! Download this if you haven't got the pack yet!

And the rest of this post:
Thanks for the first comments, glad you like it! You might have noticed what I wrote about in my last post; when I replayed the docks, I noticed that there really isn't much dialog anyway and thus Blade should respond to most of it. So I added some more responses where possible; two context triggers were left out though because I simply couldn't think of a good response (they aren't very informative anyway).

For those of you who already downloaded the pack, here's the update that you simply unpack the same way as you unpacked the full pack. It will simply add some more sound files into the existing folder structure.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #45
Omega1
Regular

I just listened to the waves and I'm quite impressed by the quality. I personally think it's a bit weird to hear Blade groaning in pain so often during the intro, and his "NOOO!!!" during the finale sounds a bit cheesy as well (Although I would expect Blade to react in some sort of fashion rather than just staying silent as he does originally), but I can take care of that quite easily myself. Otherwise, damn good work; you've definitely added some much needed personality and character to the game.
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #46
MadMax
Veteran

Just a reminder; I'd like *some* feedback to this mod and comments about anything that people want changed. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #47
Smoke39
Regular

It was kinda cool, but it usually felt fairly obvious to me that it was hacked together. I don't blame you at all for that, it was pretty cool considering the limitations you had to work with. You're gonna add even more dialogue once those other two guys get their stuff coded up, right? :3
Smoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #48
Shoelip
Experienced

Blade yells "NOOO!"? when does he do that in SiN1?
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #49
MadMax
Veteran

He doesn't do that in Sin 1. As I said before, many voice clips from Sin 1 were NOT used in the game, but were still included in the PAK files, so I had lots of material to work other than what can be heard in Sin 1!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #50
Shoelip
Experienced

Oh, I wonder what the file was originally intended for...
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote