Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 06-06-2000, 04:11 PM   #1
claudec
Fanatic

Default Serious Sam

After reading Levelord's and
Mark Dochtermann's .plan files I decided to DL Serious Sam. http://www.webdog.org/plans/208/ http://www.webdog.org/plans/212/
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
As per Mark's finger, you must download Serious Sam! It is a great game from our friends in Croatia! I was given a copy of the CD at E3 by Silvano Bucic, the editor of PC Play in Zagreb, Croatia. With our workload, I didn't get around to playing it until I was spurred by Erik's News Update (http://www.oldmanmurray.com/realnews.wcs) yesterday. Thanks, you crippled, demented ****! ... Go to http://www.croteam.com/www/index.html, download the game, and play it! It's nothing but the Fun Factor riding on a very cool engine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was great. Nice big open areas. Cool egyptian textures and models. The analyzer thingy is a grewat idea. It gives you clues as to what you are supposed to do.

Has anyone else tried this game?

------------------
Sin Post
http://www.sinpost.com/
claudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 09:48 PM   #2
SNH
Veteran

Default Re: Serious Sam

I thought it was okay, at some parts my framerate dropped down to like 5 fps on my TNT2 :/

------------------
-SinNer Is Like Half man Half Amazing-
Sin Corps Sintral
[IMG]www.ritualistic.com/sincorpssintral
SinNer
ICQ# 25413487
SNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2000, 11:38 PM   #3
claudec
Fanatic

Yeah it was a test. So they are still tweaking it. The text did warn there could be some problems. I noticed the framerate drop as well at some points but asuming those are fixed for the final I think Serious Sam will be nice game.

Doesn't look like to many others around here are interested in it

------------------
Sin Post
Old 06-08-2000, 12:29 AM   #4
Kenny

Yeah, a bunch of racists.
I'll download it and play it. Dunno how well it'll run on my p450 w/ Banshee, tho.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2000, 10:20 AM   #5
rumblefish
Fanboy

Well i played it, won it, liked it
and all i have is a p450 with a v3
rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2000, 10:26 AM   #6
Rome MiB
Levelord Groupie

I'm gonna DL it tonight.. now that I have a.. GEFORCE2!!! MUAHAHHAHAHA
Kenny, the difference betweena banshee and the geforce is like night and day in counterstrike.
Tho I only seem to be getting 120 FPS on average, I expected more

------------------
Rome[DaB]???
Secret member of the J*ck*ssNow! club.
Rome MiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2000, 10:33 AM   #7
Lanik
Fanatic

If you unchecked Sync to Frame, it would probably go higher. The framebuffer is physically limiting the card from sending more frames to the display.
Lanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2000, 02:02 PM   #8
Kenny

Graphics kinda made me think of Outcast, only it ran like shit. Pretty cool, tho. I liked that one boss battle with the rocket launcher.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2000, 02:32 PM   #9
Foo
Fanatic

?

I played the demo till the end on my 233mmx, 64sdram, V2 8mb. So like, what are you 400mhz/3rd-gen-vid-card'rs complaining about? heh.

Damn, this is wierd. It's a bizarro thing, cuz see, I complain/whine about my f'ing cable (when it dips or @Home caps) around HPB's.

Serious Sam, it's ok. Where did they get that name from though? And since they're Euro, shouldn't the game be called something fruitier, borderline English...

This game... looks like it should have been released during the Voodoo1 age. But then again, I haven't played it above 512 res.

Analyzer popped/alerted too much for my liking.

Damn, Sam, I'm so serious.

I guess it's ok to give this game easy reviews, just to help them (push gaming) out over there in Europe, or more so Croatia... or Former Yugoslavia, or whatever the hell...

------------------
urbanwarfare.com
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2000, 02:45 PM   #10
Rome MiB
Levelord Groupie

There's no sync to frame option for the prophet 2 .. atleast none that I have found.
I know what it does and everything, had to disable it on my previous card.

------------------
Rome[DaB]???
Old 06-09-2000, 08:43 PM   #11
Smack2
Levelord Groupie

Location: The smoggy hell of DFW, where the buffalo choke to death on the exhaust fumes ..

Groovy demo from what I saw - like the enemy design, lots of gore, wide open spaces, nice interface, good weapons with big balls (dual .45's ) - it'll be interesting to see what the final game looks like.

------------------
Smack2[SiN]
$20 an hour for this?
Smack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2000, 07:18 PM   #12
Smack2
Levelord Groupie

Location: The smoggy hell of DFW, where the buffalo choke to death on the exhaust fumes ..

Rome - did you check out the tip posted on Blue's about tweaking for Nvidia cards:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>For a performance boost with the most excellent Serious Sam 'test' on an Nvidia card, go into the Serious Sam\Scripts\GLSettings directory and edit the Fixups_tnt.scr file with notepad. Then alter the line that reads 'ogl_bUseMultiTexture=0;' so that it reads 'ogl_bUseMultiTexture=1;, ensuring that you do have at least the leaked 5.13 drivers installed this will give you a stable performance boost.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't made it far enough to see a horde of enemies - it seemed to feel slower mainly due to the size of the environments - not to mention you're not moving at 75 mph like Q3 or UT.

------------------
Smack2[SiN]
$20 an hour for this?
Old 06-10-2000, 09:49 PM   #13
Rome MiB
Levelord Groupie

Oh you'll see plenty.
I think I'm near the end, it's the place which you need to bring the statue to.
Basically, they lock you up in this huge courtyard and just rain down enemies on you for a half an hour.
Is it possible to beat it?
I have a save where I'm down to shotgun ammo and 2 of those giant chicken walker things that shoot rockets and have machine guns spawn.. not to mention a bunch of those rhynos.

------------------
Rome[DaB]???
Old 06-11-2000, 12:16 AM   #14
Rome MiB
Levelord Groupie

The architecture is really plain, runs kinda slow when ya have 20 enemies on screen.. Yet it's pretty cool.

------------------
Rome[DaB]???
Old 06-11-2000, 12:52 AM   #15
Smack2
Levelord Groupie

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features...terview1.shtml

Good gravy from erik and Chet ..

------------------
Smack2[SiN]
$20 an hour for this?
Old 06-13-2000, 07:57 PM   #16
claudec
Fanatic

Rome:
Are you talking about the real big yard that has health and armor on the walkway in the center. It starts with a bunch of those screeming bomb guys and then a bunch of those gollping skeleton thingingies that shoot those hoop-ball things and leap at you?

Those giant scorpians wil also appear at some point on the towers up high. They are hard to notice but I saw them once while looking up from being dead

So far I can't get past the wave of leaping skeleton thingies. The problem is that the ammo is by where they spawn in, and thats a bad place to go becaouse you end up getting a bunch of them way to close.

I assume there is some way to beat it but I am not sure how.

I would really like to see how this game works in MP

------------------
Sin Post
Old 06-14-2000, 08:21 AM   #17
Rome MiB
Levelord Groupie

Yep, that's the one.
Killing the 2 scorps on the walls is no problem at all, as long as you hug the walls under em, they can't target you.
After you get rid of em, you get like 20 rhynos charge you from every direction with more of em spawning every few seconds. the only way I could defeat em was to cheat.. kinda.. I made them all run after me into a corner, a rhyno would head butt me into the air and I'd land on him (and he'd be trapped into the wall since there would be rhynos behind him trying to get me) so while standing on the rhynos back (make sure you don't slip off ) just empty yer shotgun into the faces of all the other guys.. and they can't hurt ya.
But.. when yer done with them, a buttload of enemies appear INCLUDING 2 of those giant bi-ped machinegun/rocket launcher wielding baddies.

------------------
Rome[DaB]???
Old 06-15-2000, 03:24 PM   #18
kAmALA
Levelord Groupie

web better.

http://www.croteam.com/

kAmALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2000, 05:05 PM   #19
ninken
Fanboy

I am putting Serious Sam on my Serious don't buy it list! I think the engine runs like crap, I don't care how many times you tweak it, it still sucks with major fps drop. Second I HATE the models, They Suck cmon carring there heads shooting you Ugh, that's just plain stupid! STUPID STUPID STUPID! Also the bad guys spawn right in front of you, that's not realistic that's just plain STUPID! Yeah the levels look nice but the game is plain STUPID! I'll start calling it Stupid Sam!

-ninken
ninken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2000, 12:01 AM   #20
Lanik
Fanatic

Dude, take a chill pill.

I d/led it last night. The graphics aren't near as bad as you guys are making it out to be. In fact, I'd say it's on par with the original Unreal or better.

Of course, I'm playing at 1024x with full quality and that might make a difference. I didn't have massive slowdowns either.

Anyway, this game is very much like Doom. Simple, killing of large numbers of ugly baddies.
Lanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2000, 12:12 AM   #21
Smack2
Levelord Groupie

Runs nice on my machine .. like the Doom-ish feel. I'm all about simple killing games with tasteless amounts of gore in beautiful settings . I'd say it's on par with the Unreal/UT engine - the architecture isn't as complex, but there look to be a lot of areas that can be improved on as the engine gets tuned up. Texture handling seems to be good - very crisp looking, IMHO.

------------------
Smack2[SiN]
$20 an hour for this?
Old 06-17-2000, 02:22 AM   #22
claudec
Fanatic

I also love the sun effect. Whats the proper term for that anyway? i.e where you see the little rings of refracted light.

It is kind of doomish. And that's part of the appeal. The engine still needs some tweaking. It's just a test not a demo.

I noticed some spots where the fps went way down. It was ussually when I was being attacked by a huge hoard of monsters. I am sure they will have it running smoother in the demo and final version.

All in all I think its a fun game I definatly will DL the demo when it comes out and will probably buy it.

------------------
Sin Post
Old 06-17-2000, 05:49 AM   #23
Icculus [LoK]
Addict

*Lens Flare*
^ ninken

------------------
Kings of the Great Hall have Landed. Time for the new way has come.
www.lok-kingdom.org
ICQ#22919600
Icculus [LoK] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2000, 12:28 AM   #24
Smack2
Levelord Groupie

Man, just checked out the editor MPEG's - sweeeeeet. Being able to do those 5 second compiles and immediately run around the level. Very cool. Anybody with engine experience have an idea how that's handled? Is this an Unreal style subtractive editing thing - it's not BSP like Radiant, unless they've sped up the compile process . Be curious to see how much detail the engine can handle before it starts to bog out - one thing I noticed about the game was that a lot of detail was handled by textures and not polys.

------------------
Smack2[SiN]
$20 an hour for this?
Old 07-02-2000, 07:52 PM   #25
kAmALA
Levelord Groupie

new patch for ss

http://www.croteam.com/
kAmALA is offline   Reply With Quote