what is level design? 2 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #26
IcemanSimo
Experienced

Default Re: Romero vs Levelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar
IcemanSimo these are the people responsible for the rise of 3d shooters genre. Romero was the designer for wolfensiten, doom1,2 , quake1
Levelord is the guy that made Duke Nukem and SiN

check these articles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Romero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelord
sweet thatnks for the update

--------------------

Is it true that your the man who doesn't sleep, Yes well theres plenty of time to sleep when your dead.
IcemanSimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #27
levelord
Levelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant9
Levelord, how does one become a game designer? Should he begin with designing Arena Mode maps?
This is a question that should NEVER be asked, brother! Just start building maps! Arena maps are a great place to start, as with multiplayer maps, because they are typically much smaller in size and they do not have all the stuff needed for singleplayer maps.

Go find something inspirational, like a movie or a book, or look for cool pictures of places online, or other maps you like, ...and start building! ...

--------------------
SUYT
levelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #28
levelord
Levelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaholic
If I can recall correctly, if it wasn't for Romero and Doom, Richard wouldn't have gotten a spot in the industry.
Absolutely correct! Master Romero will always be a hero. He's one of the nicest people you can meet, too, and there aren't many of those in the world (I mean truly nice, not plastic role-playing nice).

--------------------
SUYT
Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #29
Iggy01
Experienced

Post Re: Romero vs Levelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelord
Go find something inspirational, like a movie or a book, or look for cool pictures of places online, or other maps you like, ...and start building! ...
I made 29 maps for Duke3D and still nobody likes me.

Quote:
Absolutely correct! Master Romero will always be a hero. He's one of the nicest people you can meet, too, and there aren't many of those in the world (I mean truly nice, not plastic role-playing nice).
Tell you what, you're both my hero.
Iggy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
Stilgar
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Stilgar

Quote:
Romero is nice? I've always thought it would be a hell to work with him. With all this boosting and the fact that he left id and switched so many companies...

Don't get me wrong he is my favourite designer and I admire his work. I even think Daikatana is pretty good game.

--------------------
Fear is the mind-killer!
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #31
levelord
Levelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy01
Well, first, I like you ...and B, ...only 29!?! ...

Seriously, that's great, but it does take time and alot of mapping to get noticed. This hill gets steeper and steeper, too, as the years go by.

For what other games have you made maps? Anything more contemporary?

--------------------
SUYT
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #32
Iggy01
Experienced

Quote:
Well, first, I like you ...and B, ...only 29!?! ...

Seriously, that's great, but it does take time and alot of mapping to get noticed. This hill gets steeper and steeper, too, as the years go by.

For what other games have you made maps? Anything more contemporary?
I must admit that, once you get a good grip on Build makes you addicted to it thus making it harder to try out other stuff (DNF will be the exception W.I.D.). I tried my hands on making maps for C&C Generals and Unreal Tournament 2004 but nothing really usefull came out of that.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #33
levelord
Levelord

Quote:
I must admit that, once you get a good grip on Build makes you addicted to it thus making it harder to try out other stuff (DNF will be the exception W.I.D.). I tried my hands on making maps for C&C Generals and Unreal Tournament 2004 but nothing really usefull came out of that.
Hammer is pretty cool, and fairly easy to use. It definitely has a GREAT online (Wiki) developer page that can answer almost any question, offers tutorials a chimpanzee could follow, and provides fellow-developer communications.

May I suggest making a few Arena maps for SiN

--------------------
SUYT
Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #34
Stilgar
Regular

Can you tell me really short what is like building maps for shooters? How much mathematics do one need, how much technical knowledge (like programming) and how much time to learn the tools(I guess it is different with different games but take Sin Episodes and Q3/Q4 for example)

--------------------
Fear is the mind-killer!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #35
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

Quote:
Can you tell me really short what is like building maps for shooters? How much mathematics do one need, how much technical knowledge (like programming) and how much time to learn the tools(I guess it is different with different games but take Sin Episodes and Q3/Q4 for example)
You don't need any mathematic skills at all.
DI_MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #36
NodroG
Regular

Its hard to compare greats like this. I confess to taking guilty pleasure in playing Daikatana - perhaps it was lowered expectation syndrome .

But I loved Duke 3D (when the *&&% is Duke 4 Ever coming?) and SiN. So Levelord gets my vote. Plus the blog on his trip to Russia was, uh, entertaining.
NodroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #37
Gibaholic
Regular

Quote:
Geeze, I tried mapping for Duke3D a few months ago, pretty confusing when you compare it with Quake 3 mapping.

--------------------
Gibaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:19 AM   #38
Stilgar
Regular

Quote:
Its hard to compare greats like this. I confess to taking guilty pleasure in playing Daikatana - perhaps it was lowered expectation syndrome .

But I loved Duke 3D (when the *&&% is Duke 4 Ever coming?) and SiN. So Levelord gets my vote. Plus the blog on his trip to Russia was, uh, entertaining.
You haven't played Doom I presume. I had more fun playing Doom and Wolfenstein than Duke. Well of course Duke is much more advanced but when Wolf/Doom were released they were so innovative. Duke was innovative too of course but you can't compare the games that created the genre in this aspect with any other games. Just take note that the weapons in Quake 4 are not much different from the weapons in Doom. Most shooters today have pistol/shotgun/chaingun/rocket launcher/plasma gun combo. Even Duke has this. And I can recall any game having the gun that freezes you (can't remember it's name) or the gun that makes you small(shrinker?). And Doom 2 is still the shooter with the best multiplayer for me doom2 map 1 being the best multiplayer map.

P.D will someone give me general idea of what map making is like? I don't wanna download tools and stare at them just to find out that I don't like it. I want really short explaination. Don't worry I consider myself computer literate and game literate.

--------------------
Fear is the mind-killer!

Last edited by Stilgar : 07-29-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #39
booger
Serious Sam

Send a message via ICQ to booger Send a message via AIM to booger

Quote:
P.D will someone give me general idea of what map making is like? I don't wanna download tools and stare at them just to find out that I don't like it. I want really short explaination. Don't worry I consider myself computer literate and game literate.
It's like playing with virtual legos, except you control the size, shape and texture of each lego. Seriously, it's not that hard to do (though it takes some skill and patience to make something really good). If you have ever built anything with Legos, drawn a D&D map on graph paper or used any kind of artistic computer program, you have the skills to learn to make maps. Realize that your first map isn't going to be spectacular. But it should give you an idea whether or not you have any sort of natural ability to map. If you enjoy creating things, you owe it to yourself to try. It's not a very big download, and it's relatively easy to get started.

Stop asking about it, just try it.

--------------------
John J Dick
aka 'booger'
Voice of Sam
Author of Violence
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #40
NodroG
Regular

Quote:
You haven't played Doom I presume. I had more fun playing Doom and Wolfenstein than Duke. Well of course Duke is much more advanced but when Wolf/Doom were released they were so innovative. Duke was innovative too of course but you can't compare the games that created the genre in this aspect with any other games. Just take note that the weapons in Quake 4 are not much different from the weapons in Doom. Most shooters today have pistol/shotgun/chaingun/rocket launcher/plasma gun combo. Even Duke has this. And I can recall any game having the gun that freezes you (can't remember it's name) or the gun that makes you small(shrinker?). And Doom 2 is still the shooter with the best multiplayer for me doom2 map 1 being the best multiplayer map.
Yes, I have played DooM and Wolfenstein when they first came out - I'm older than I look I concede that they were the originators. The thing I loved about Duke wasn't any ground-breaking gameplay elements - it was the settings, the music and the humour - all the Duke speak. Its like playing a campy B-movie.
NodroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #41
Iggy01
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger
It's like playing with virtual legos, except you control the size, shape and texture of each lego. Seriously, it's not that hard to do (though it takes some skill and patience to make something really good).
Ofcourse it's easy as soon as you know the basics of the tools you're using. Untill then it's probably be a long way up. Reading tutorials for beginners is probably the best way to get started.

Quote:
Duke was innovative too of course but you can't compare the games that created the genre in this aspect with any other games.
Duke Nukem 3D was the game that brought interactivity into the FPS-genre. Which was later topped by Shadow Warrior from 1998, also from 3D Realms.

Quote:
Even Duke has this. And I can recall any game having the gun that freezes you (can't remember it's name) or the gun that makes you small(shrinker?).
Freezethrower and shrinker. The Atomic Edition also has the expander which does the opposite of what the shrinker does.

Last edited by Iggy01 : 08-04-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #42
ninken
Fanboy

Quote:
Well, shit! ...I have to vote for Cliff Blesinskiniziski!
Old CliffB, haha Hey I think Cliffb jealous of you. I think he been the one making those anti Levelord Photoshop files of ya! I'll vote for you any day levelord! Just do your voodoo and shrink me!

--------------------
-ninken
http://www.ninken.com

Last edited by ninken : 08-04-2006 at 03:30 PM.
ninken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #43
satis

I voted for Levelord, but only because he'd beat me up in the hall with his PSP if I didn't. You know what I'm talking about Levelord, and don't try to deny it!
satis is offline   Reply With Quote