Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 08-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
Gibaholic
Regular

Default Re: The Quake 4 1.3 patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopGantry
using the dark to hide ones presence is a tactic by making him a neonsign that tactic is effectivly removed aswell this allows hom to shoot opponetns that he previosly couldnt see at ranges he shouldnt be able to see them...

With brightskins you dont have to use your brain to find him hes there out in the open glowing brightly youd have the be blind to not see him...
---

still havent found any servers running the buy weapons option...
As said before, this isn't counter-strike, so camping won't get you far. You have to use other tactics in order to win. Try dueling on some max servers and you'll see what I mean.

--------------------
Gibaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #27
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaholic
As said before, this isn't counter-strike, so camping won't get you far. You have to use other tactics in order to win. Try dueling on some max servers and you'll see what I mean.
Ill see what exactly? That I have to conform to certain tactics remove other tactics, hamper and restrict my own personal playing style and restrict my weapon usage to only using approved weapons to win, then what? Methodiclly modify my config with dubious commands and scripting...

How much skill should I edit out of the game before I become competitive enough to win, what glitches in the game can I use to get that extra edge, how far can I go before its considered cheating and what stops me from going beyond that threshold...

--------------------
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #28
JoelF
Veteran

Well, is it an option that can be turned on and off? If so, it should accomodate everyone, no?

And thanks for clearing up my ignorance. I wasn't quite sure what a brightskin was. =S
JoelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #29
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

Quote:
Ill see what exactly? That I have to conform to certain tactics remove other tactics, hamper and restrict my own personal playing style and restrict my weapon usage to only using approved weapons to win, then what? Methodiclly modify my config with dubious commands and scripting...

How much skill should I edit out of the game before I become competitive enough to win, what glitches in the game can I use to get that extra edge, how far can I go before its considered cheating and what stops me from going beyond that threshold...
Yeah... You're taking this a bit too far now...

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #30
Gibaholic
Regular

Quote:

Huh? No one uses scripts. No one uses glitches because there really aren't any. It's considered cheating when you use outside files or when you actually cheat. You don't need to alter your playing "style". They're just skins that glow in the dark, that's all. It's just for seeing the enemy, just to make it easier to set apart from the environment. IT's not bf2 or some war game where hiding is what makes you win.

--------------------
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #31
JoelF
Veteran

Yeah... I was thinking more along the lines of 'It's just Quake 4...' You might squeeze in a few extra kills with brightskins, but I personally don't think it'd alter things that much.

Keep in mind that I don't think I've ever played a multi game with brightskins in it, so I can't really say.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #32
Gibaholic
Regular

Pictures of brightskins for those who don't know what they look like.

--------------------
Old 08-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #33
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Last one bringing up some memoirs
Haven't played Quake4 mp, but is there a rocket arena for it? That's the only one i played with Q3 and loved it.
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #34
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Huh? No one uses scripts. No one uses glitches because there really aren't any. It's considered cheating when you use outside files or when you actually cheat. You don't need to alter your playing "style". They're just skins that glow in the dark, that's all. It's just for seeing the enemy, just to make it easier to set apart from the environment. IT's not bf2 or some war game where hiding is what makes you win.

So your claiming noone modifies gamma values or brightness values or other values ontop of brightskins just so they can see the enemy better?

Of course I dont have to alter my playing style if im glowing likie las vegas when moving trough a darker area of the map, its not like everyone will shoot me or anything

Missing the impeding personal playing style again I see... Not beign seen increses chance of survival I would call brightskins change an drastic change in ones survival rate...
---

Thought it would be more to the buy weapon options like buying the uppgrades for the singleplayer game...

--------------------

Last edited by BishopGantry : 08-05-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #35
Gibaholic
Regular

Quote:
So your claiming noone modifies gamma values or brightness values or other values ontop of brightskins just so they can see the enemy better?

Of course I dont have to alter my playing style if im glowing likie las vegas when moving trough a darker area of the map, its not like everyone will shoot me or anything

Missing the impeding personal playing style again I see... Not beign seen increses chance of survival I would call brightskins change an drastic change in ones survival rate...
---

Thought it would be more to the buy weapon options like buying the uppgrades for the singleplayer game...
being loud and obnoxious is what lets your enemy know where you are. I never said anyone changes the gamma values or brightness values, is it that big of a deal? Go play counter-Strike if you love camping in the dark so much okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpapa
Last one bringing up some memoirs
Haven't played Quake4 mp, but is there a rocket arena for it? That's the only one i played with Q3 and loved it.
yeah their's a rocket arena for Quake 4 but I don't think anyone plays it. I was never really into rocket arena myself

--------------------
Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #36
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
being loud and obnoxious is what lets your enemy know where you are. I never said anyone changes the gamma values or brightness values, is it that big of a deal? Go play counter-Strike if you love camping in the dark so much okay?

yeah their's a rocket arena for Quake 4 but I don't think anyone plays it. I was never really into rocket arena myself
Teamed up with every other editing of the game to see enemies better and reduction of skill required to engage the enemy its a bloody big deal...

--------------------
Old 08-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #37
Gibaholic
Regular

Quote:
Teamed up with every other editing of the game to see enemies better and reduction of skill required to engage the enemy its a bloody big deal...
I think you're being a little dramatic about cfg tweaking.

--------------------
Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 AM   #38
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
I think you're being a little dramatic about cfg tweaking.
Its edting that promotes the next step of using actual cheats...

--------------------
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #39
Gibaholic
Regular

Quote:
Its edting that promotes the next step of using actual cheats...
You know what, you're right.

When I set bob_roll to 0 and draw_gibs 0, it immediately sparked the urge to download a wallhack.

--------------------
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #40
UTWarden
Experienced

Guy/Gals lets not do this. the Brightskin issue is a sore spot for many. Leave it alone.

Last edited by UTWarden : 08-07-2006 at 05:04 PM.
UTWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #41
JoelF
Veteran

Can't you just choose to not use brightskins? As a server option or something.

And really, I think if you're fiddling with your config file for the purpose of getting an upper hand, you probably have enough time to invest in several hours more of in-game training, practice, or plain deathmatch.

Overall, keep in mind that it is a game. Once it becomes overly stressful and competitive, you should probably take a break or back off. Games are supposed to be for fun.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #42
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Brightskins? Nerds. :|

Can we please pretend to be mindless drones and go back to talking about Ritual's content? Thanks. ;D

--------------------
"Damn, a security crate!"
#ritualistic

badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #43
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Brightskins? Nerds. :|

Can we please pretend to be mindless drones and go back to talking about Ritual's content? Thanks. ;D

Yeah about that Napalm gun... why? Why not Mini, BFG, Hyper or super shotty weapons that where already established.

--------------------