Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
JamesBrown
Casual

Default Sin in Linux question

I just got PCLinuxOS installed on my laptop and I got an old
copy of Linux Sin to install. This might be a dumb question,
but how do I install any patches for the Linux version?

Edit: This game is already patched to version 1.1, but
I have another problem, The game won't run and gives this
error:
"error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
I have the file libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0 in my usr/lib
folder and I use the command
sudo ln -s libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0 libSDL-1.1.so.0
to link it but this does not solve the problem
Is there anything I can do to get this game running?

Last edited by JamesBrown : 05-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.
JamesBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
JamesBrown
Casual

Default Re: Sin in Linux question

I got this game to run after downloading the
loki compat libraries and running "LD_PRELOAD=/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/Loki_Compat/libsmpeg-0.4.so.0.1.3 /usr/local/games/Sin/sin.exe" but there is no sound.
Typing the line sudo echo "sin 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss just gives me a segmentation fault.
Running "aoss sin.exe" and "sin.exe +set s_driver oss" doesn't work.

I don't understand why the Sin Linux demo runs with no
problems but the actual game is nothing but trouble.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Zer0
Fanatic

Post Re: Sin in Linux question

Do other apps that use OSS run correctly?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
JamesBrown
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Do other apps that use OSS run correctly?
I can get Quake3 Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein,
and Descent3 running with sound. I could get the Sin
Linux demo to run with sound but for some reason the
retail Sin game for Linux will not.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
sprotte

innocent question

Can't you just use the binary from the demo, and the pak files from the full version?

Or is the demo binary hardcoded to only run the first map?

It's the same as Quake 2, no? Why would the demo come with a custom engine?

What I mean is: Take the data from the full version (pak* files) and drop them in the demo's base/ directory, then use the "map blah" command from the console.

Can someone try this and report back?

/innocent question

Er, and another idea would be to just install SDL version 1.1 alongside the newer version and try again? You can have two versions of a library installed, no problem...

Umm, and the third idea, if the first one doesn't work, is to actually open the pak file(s) from the full version, grab all the maps and models and sounds, and dump them in the demo's pak file.

There are programs which let you edit pak files.

I mean the ENGINE is running, right (the version from the demo.) So just toss it the right game data?

If nothing works, there's always wine...

Idea #4: Patching...

I'd say, extract the patch contents, and copy manually. If there is a patch that contains an executable, might be worth it to try that, too...

no one can know if the game will work after patching, or not... the only way is to test it.

NB: I think you can't mix and match the binary and the ref_*.so and game.so parts, at least not unless you get lucky. But I might be wrong.

Further, are you sure Sin uses OSS? I'd rather guess it uses ALSA or SDL for sound. And I'd guess SDL would use ALSA for its audio output.

I only know that when I ran the demo with Alsa OSS emulation (aoss ./Sin), I got horrible sound errors. So that can't be it I guess.

Another thing:

The demo definitely doesn't link against libSDL. Neither the engine, nor the game.so/ref_*.so.

You can check with ldd:

Quote:
jonas@voyager SinDemo % ldd Sin
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7ed7000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7dee000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7ddf000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7dc9000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7da4000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7c85000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7ee8000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7c81000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7c7c000)
jonas@voyager SinDemo % ldd base/game.so
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7d1b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7bfc000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
jonas@voyager SinDemo % ldd ref_soft.so
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7e5d000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7d74000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7d65000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7c46000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7c43000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7c3e000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c39000)
So apparently the demo does NOT use SDL. This is confirmed by removing the libSDL-1.1.so.0 and libSDL.so symlinks. It still runs.

Edit: I just saw in the readme that it looks for /dev/dsp... so it uses OSS, all right.

Looking at the console output and cvars, it seems like 99% a Quake2 engine, which suggests that it might run any maps, provided it can load all required models and sounds. I can't see why it wouldn't run the maps from the full version. It should also run deathmatch maps. The only problems could be demos and networking between different versions.

Last edited by sprotte : 11-08-2007 at 06:20 PM.
sprotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
sprotte

Some more random facts about the Sin Linux demo:

It only loads maps from within the pak file, not from base/maps.

It DOES load custom maps from within the pak, if you can get them in there =) This means we have to learn how to create Sin PAK files. It does not load Quake2 paks (I tested.)

Fortunately, there is makepak.exe, which comes with sintools (sintools_full.zip)

Makepak.exe runs under wine and can disassemble AND reassemble Sin pak files, although the reassembling part is not self-explanatory.

It goes like this:

wine makepak.exe -u pak0.sin

will extract it.

At this point, you could add anything you wanted, for example maps, models, sprites, sounds, textures etc. For example those from the full version, provided the full version's pak doesn't work out of the box...

There is one catch though: The bsps must be the right version. If they aren't, they must be decompiled (bsp2map) and then recompiled with the right tools, so the bsp version number matches. Also, you must include all textures, models etc. that the map needs.

Then to reassemble the pak,

wine makepak.exe scriptfile

Now what is scriptfile? Simple... it is a text file which contains the name of the pak, and the files you want to include.

Example scriptfile:

name pak0.sin
includerecursive *

That's all. It will create pak0.sin, recursively including all files in the current directory. One should backup the original pak of course.

With this method, I included some custom deathmatch maps in the demo's pakfile and tried to load them. One failed (wrong bsp version number), the other loaded but some textures were missing (of course, the ones from the full version.)

That's half a success if you ask me. I don't have the full version so I can't try its maps.

The demo engine totally has the facilities to load any model, texture and map, so technically it should be possible to upgrade it into the full version, either by just dropping in the pak file (Quake style), or by transferring the maps etc. (if necessary recompiling them) to the demo pak.

It runs like a charm, comes with software and GL renderers, so it'd be quite natural to use the demo as a basis.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
sprotte

I successfully ran a custom Singleplayer map (Danny2.bsp) in the demo.

It didn't find all textures, but was fully playable. Will try more.

More proof for my theory. There is nothing in the demo engine that stops it from running other maps...

there is a console variable, "sindemo" - don't know what it does. When you try to set it to 0, it will say "write protected." However, you can set it on the command line...

./Sin +set sindemo 0

Anyway, it doesn't seem to do anything. *shrug*

The source code for all Sin tools is available, so in a short while we'll see if makepak compiles on linux... would be nice to dump the wine dependency...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Gibaholic
Regular

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I've been trying to get Sin to run natively under linux aswell. I have the hyperion cd and the game installs fine. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the issue with Sin on modern linux distros was that the installer wouldn't bring up the window to enter your cd key, and therefore it wouldn't unencrypt the binary files.

The other alternative would be the previous posts, but I'm not sure where to find the makepak.exe he's talking about. I can't open the pak files with pakscape...

http://www.isrec.isb-sib.ch/~agrosdi....readme.fedora

That article suggests I get the binary file from a full install... but where can I get that?

--------------------
Gibaholic is offline   Reply With Quote