Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 05-07-1999, 03:20 PM   #1
claudec
Fanatic

Default Error: Bad brush side texinfo

I just sent a map to a server admin for beta testing and they reported getting the following error.
Error: Bad brush side texinfo
I do not get this error. I tried running
as server (non-dedicated) still no error.
The only thing I can think of is that there
is warning/error when I compiled the level
that says a brush has mixed face contents
or something like that. It has been like
that through about half the development. I have no problem running the level. I need to know 1 how can I duplicate this error.
2 How do I fix it.
3 How do I test a level so I can be sure
I am going to see any error the server admin
would. This is VERY embarassing.

------------------
claudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-1999, 04:37 PM   #2
eutectic
Fanboy

Default Re: Error: Bad brush side texinfo

Ahhhh! Mixed face content. That's why you're getting the error. This happens when you set a CONTENT flag on a certain number of faces of the brush but not all of them.

There's a big difference between a SURFACE flag and a CONTENT flag.

For example, the "light" flag is a surface flag: you can set it on only one or a few or all the faces of your brush if you want, no problem, you decide.

But "water", "translucent" or "ladder" are CONTENT flags meaning that they ABSOLUTELY have to be set on ALL the faces of your brush, no less, if you decide to use them.

If you happen to have a brush in your map with a content flag set only some of its faces but but not all of them, you get a:

MIXED face content.

IOW, not all the same. You understand the significance of the message now?

So you must never ignore those messages, they're important. But all hope is not lost because the VERY GOOD thing about QBSP3 is that when it reports that error will give you the entity and brush number of the "offender". Just put the numbers down on a piece of paper.

So you then go back in SinEd, click on the menu "misc", "find brush" utility and fill in the numbers (worldspawn is entity 0 in case the problematic brush is a world brush). Click OK and it will automatically select the brush and center the 2D view on it. Then examine its faces with surf inspector and set the missing flag on those that need it.

Save and recompile. Thankfully, those kind of errors are relatively easy to fix.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-1999, 06:37 PM   #3
claudec
Fanatic

Thanks for the reply I had meant to ask about the error here, but since it didn't cause the game to error it got lost in the shuffle. I still have the problem of duplicating the server admins error.
Why does he get an error when trying to run
it and I don't? I can't know I have fixed it
till I can duplicate it. Also it is very unsettling to think that others can get an error like this and I don't. How can I ever know if my levels are going to run on a server? It is very embarassing to have an error like this. It's not like some problem that had to be ferreted out. This wouldn't even run on the server.

------------------
claudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-1999, 11:02 AM   #4
eutectic
Fanboy

Ok, the thing with these kind of errors is that you never know if they will cause problems or not. It probably depends on a lot of factors which it's really useful to even try to get into.

If some people made maps which had the same kind of errors and worked fine on the server, tell yourself that they were were plain lucky and you weren't. That's all there is to it.

One thing I can tell you though: if you make sure you don't get ANY errors during compilation (whether QBSP3, QVIS3 and QRAD3) and I garantee you you won't have any problems.

IMO, it's vain to torture yourself to try to determine WHY it happened to your map and not others. The main thing is to fix it and repost. It's embarrasing maybe but I don't think I'm wrong by saying that we (the community) all understand and won't judge you badly because of it. It's a combination of an honest oversight (which isn't your fault: you didn't know) and bad luck. It could have happened to ANYONE.

In fact, we should consider ourselves lucky that you're willing to spend a considerable amount of your spare time to make a new map for our benefit. So don't let yourself be deterred by this mishap dude

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote