Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 04-23-1999, 03:53 PM   #1
BlindTypist
Veteran

Default Re: the BSP menu in SinEd

Okay, I found out how to get rid of the MAP extension, but I still need to find out the address where this is called from so I can change the string parameter.

It seems to require 3 parameters (all strings) The first is the remotepath, the second is a period (dunno what it's for) and the third is the map name. I need to swap the period with the filename and eliminate the period.

Anyway, I am semi-excited, because it actually works. I just need to swap those strings.
BlindTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-1999, 04:11 PM   #2
BlindTypist
Veteran

okay, I'm a retard. I found out the period comes from an entry in the SED file. I turned it to a null, NOW THE BSP MENU IN SINED WORKS!.

Anyway, so far it can only run a single command at a time, so you can't do a full compile with a single mouse click. But with three mouse clicks you can .

Old 04-23-1999, 10:20 PM   #3
BlindTypist
Veteran

Basically, I am talking to myself here, but that's okay.

Anyway, now that I have a functional bsp menu in SinEd, I decided to try to figure out what generates that irritating OpenGL error. I have isolated the sections of code that generate this error, but I don't know what to set the registers to.

I have tried several different approaches, such as skipping over the Kernel TerminateProcess (this is what makes SinEd terminate when the error occurs). It sort of works, but it's kind of a half-ass hack job. I'd rather find out what the error really is.

Does anyone know what causes the OpenGL error? I would even accept somebody's "best guess" at this time.

Old 04-23-1999, 11:49 PM   #4
eutectic
Fanboy

I dunno. My best guess is that SiNed somehow looks for a WinNT type openGL driver at startup and can't find one (of course).

One of the reasons why even a lot of good programmers can't tackle this task is that it deals with specific OpenGL stuff and that's almost a specialized field by itself.

The man who would know the answer for sure is Robert Duffy the Great. The one and only author of QeRAdiant. I think I'm going to try to email the guy and get his attention. Slim chance of course but I'll try.

Oh BTW, the source code for SinEd is in the sin tools source .zip you can download from The Node or Ritualistic. It's written in C I believe.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-1999, 12:15 AM   #5
BlindTypist
Veteran

I'm pretty sure SinEd was written in Visual C++, but since I can't actually program in either language (VC or C++) it doesn't matter. I can read just enough of the Source code to get by.

It's gotta be easier than what I am doing now. I am basically taking a hackers approach and reading the hex, and attempting to locate specific registers.

I have looked though most of the calls to the windows modules, and all the functions I have seen (so far) are supported through Windows95, so they aren't NT specific.

I am getting closer though. It looks like it compares two values and generates an error. I can force the values to match, but that may cause severe problems, especially since I don't know what the values mean.

I guess I'll have to tear into OpenGL, but that really isn't something I want to do.

Hopefully somebody will be able to tell me if its a genuine error or just a bug.

Oh, well, it's fun anyway.
Old 04-24-1999, 01:54 AM   #6
BlindTypist
Veteran

Default the BSP menu in SinEd

Well, here's a bit of melancholoy news. I was able to hex-edit SinEd to compile a map with QBSP3 through the menu. This also required an slight alteration to the SED file.

Only problem is, enters the entire filename when compiling. So the command line looks like this:

qbsp3 c:\tools\sin\map\test.map

This works for QBSP3. QVIS3 and QRAD3 need to read a BSP file. (of course we all know that now, I was just reiterating)

Anyway, by looking through SinEd with a HexEditor, I found that the values %s are a string, %i are an integer, %ui is an unsigned integer... and so on.

I can't figure out where this function is called from, so I can't change the string parameters.

What I want to know NOW (after another long winded speech), is there source code available for SinEd? Maybe I have it, I am just overlooking it?
Old 04-24-1999, 10:02 AM   #7
BlindTypist
Veteran

Eutectic's response about NT may contain some merit. It appears OpenGL makes at least one function call to an NT module. I don't know (yet) if SinEd calls any OpenGL functions that require the NT module though.

Even if this isn't the problem, I can look into it. Thanks for pointing this out to me! See I told you any "best guess" would do.
Old 04-25-1999, 07:25 AM   #8
Outsider
Experienced

Hey, the last three weeks i didn't get any opengl error! i just click on sined and it runs right
Don't now how it comes but i don't have any problems with it anymore

using win98 (dutch version)

Cya
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-1999, 12:10 PM   #9
BlindTypist
Veteran

Maybe Win98 uses the NT module GLMF32.dll? That is the file that OpenGL has at least one reference to. Windows95 seems to be missing the file.

Maybe I'll take a closer look at the function calls to see if there are any other discrepencies like that.
Old 04-26-1999, 05:16 AM   #10
Outsider
Experienced

Damn.
i posted it, i started sined and again that error! Think it was stupid to post that one, siend is again ****ed up

Cya
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-1999, 09:56 AM   #11
BlindTypist
Veteran

Sorry about that. I am trying everything I can to generate the error on purpose (without restarting my computer) hoping to get a glimpse of what causes it. All I know is it causes an error when it tries to draw the 3D viewer.

I downloaded that GLMF32.DD file from an FTP, hoping that it would fix the problem. But it doesn't. Thanks for info though.