Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Tech Help

Old 06-26-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
ratty_redemption
Experienced

Default console questions

hi, I`m a rtcw user mapper and I just brought ef2, but the ritual console is giving me headaches [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

does anyone know how to dump the console to an external .txt file, like we can do with other q3 games? ...I tried "condump" (without quotes) but it
doesn`t seem to work in ef2.

also I`d like to resize the console font, cus in 800x600 (let alone high res) the text is too small for me... is it possible to alter it? ...and please no sarcastic remarks about this.

and I`m disappointed I can`t "ctrl+v" paste keywords or lines of code into the console like I can with other q3 games... is there a way to do that with rituals version of the engine?
ratty_redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
BirdDawg
Experienced

Default Re: console questions

Setting "logfile" to 1 will dump the console to username_console.log in the /base directory. If you want to catch things from the beginning of the game's run, add +set logfile 1 to the end of the command line that you use to run EF2.

I'm pretty sure that altering the font size isn't possible without reexporting the font at a different size, something that's not possible at the moment.

You can paste text from the windows clipboard by clicking mouse3 in the console window (UNIX-style pasting.)
BirdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
ratty_redemption
Experienced

thanx BirdDawg, I just tested both of those tips and they worked fine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and I found I can change the vidmode to a lower setting so I can read the console better, then turn it back up when I resume the game... not perfect solution, but I can live with it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

a new question, if you can still help me... is there a way to turn off the tilt when side stepping? I have view bobbing turned off, which seems to work for forward and backwards, so I`m surprised it doesn`t override the side step tilt... perhaps you could include the option in a future patch if there isn`t a cvar to turn it off atm?
Old 06-26-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
ratty_redemption
Experienced

me again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

is there a cvar to hide the hud or parts of it?

and I tried using "config" to rename the main .cfg file but it doesn`t seem to work, I read of someone else here who didn`t like the game using our windows login names for our .cfg and save files, I hope there is a fix to that sometime in the future.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:02 AM   #5
ratty_redemption
Experienced

I found r_draw2d does work (I thought I`d tried it earlier but I must of had the syntax wrong... are these cvars case sensitive?) ...and I found that r_lightmap works but r_showtris doesn`t appear to do anything?

those last two I use a lot when mapping rtcw, so I`d miss either of them if I was going to be mapping ef2 in the future.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:52 AM   #6
MrPsycho
Veteran

Lol I'm so glad someone posted this, I was just about to ask. I've been trying to dump the console for an hour now. I got a l ot of other interesting dumps though [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Events and aliases etc.

Oh and check out the staff weapon. Very cool. Why was this not part of the game? I noticed some of the fighters (I won't spoil it) had them, but this weapon is not found in the game anywhere. You obviously intended it initially, because it has a first person model.
MrPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:40 AM   #7
ratty_redemption
Experienced

what are aliases? ... thought that was a q2 engine cmd and replaced by set and seta in q3?

I also liked the staff weapon (when I was testing the "give all" cmd) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...you sure it`s not given in some secret area in the sp game? ...I agree it`s a shame if they left it out in the end.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:29 AM   #8
Mango
Veteran

another command thats missing is the cg_crosshairsize Is there a way to change the size of the crosshair?
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #9
MadOnion
Fanatic

Without using cheat codes, the Mystical Staff can only be obtained by solving a puzzle in one of the bonus levels (unlocked by collecting starships).
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
ratty_redemption
Experienced

MadOnion, that sounds fair enough to me, at least they do give us it (eventually) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

and I two, usually change the cross hair size but hadn`t got round to trying yet, otherwise I know I would of been complaining about that as well [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #11
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Quote:
is there a cvar to hide the hud or parts of it?
ui_hud 1/0 turns the hud on and off.

Quote:
Without using cheat codes, the Mystical Staff can only be obtained by solving a puzzle in one of the bonus levels (unlocked by collecting starships).
The Mystical Staff is actually hidden in one of the regular levels and not the bonus maps.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
Gez
Regular

you also get the staff in Action Hero
Gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #13
ratty_redemption
Experienced

thanx for the info and quick responeces guys, I`m glad I came here [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 04:17 PM   #14
IceSlim
Regular

Told you ratty m8 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
IceSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
ratty_redemption
Experienced

IceSlim, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and I`m very pleased to see that the alias cmd is working in ritual`s version of q3 engine, I perfered using that in q2 to the set and seta in q3, and it seems to work as I remember it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

would this be the right place to post a few examples of alias or vstr cmds we find useful?

and could someone post us an example or link, to how we can have cvars selecting the exact weapon we want rather then the weapon group, if possible?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
Iax

"Without using cheat codes, the Mystical Staff can only be obtained by solving a puzzle in one of the bonus levels (unlocked by collecting starships)."

Wrong!
I got the staff by solving a puzzle on one of the regular missions, about half way through the game (first time at the exo-alien factory), you get to keep the staff for the rest of the game, makes some stuff alot easier.
Iax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:48 AM   #17
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Indeed. The alternate fire on the staff is neat. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 03:24 AM   #18
MadOnion
Fanatic

My memory failed me. Honestly, I haven't played the full version of EF2 yet. I'd like to buy the game this weekend. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 05:53 PM   #19
badman
Sheep Inspector

You disappoint me, sir!
Old 06-28-2003, 09:01 PM   #20
ratty_redemption
Experienced

when I select the tricorder, I have ui_hud set to 1 in my .cfg, but when wandering around (or fighting) I have it set to 0, this works fine.

but the part of the hud which shows entities names and weight etc, still shows up even when ui_hud is 0.

is there a way to turn the name, weight part off without turning off r_draw2d? ...cus then the cross hair disappears... iow, I want the cross hair, but none of the hud showing unless I`ve selected the tricorder.

if that makes sense? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #21
ratty_redemption
Experienced

me again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

r_clear doesn`t seem to work? I normally have it set to 1 when noclip`ing.

this is very annoying having vid feedback when outside of the map hull... please someone tell me, ritual have a fix for this?

otherwise I`d be seriously put off mapping using this engine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 02:41 AM   #22
MrPsycho
Veteran

Ratty perhaps you could also help me figure out some stuff.

First I'd like to be able to switch on and off weapon pickup switching with a bind- so I can easily tell the game I'd like to keep the weapon I'm holding or switch to the next one I get.

I'm also trying to get the "give" command to work. I need a way to test actorweapons, but the game doesn't allow us to- to the best of my knowledge.

keep up the good work tinkering [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
MrPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:23 AM   #23
ratty_redemption
Experienced

MrPsycho, sure I`ll help if I can, I`ll do some tests later on today and post in this thread what I come up with.

it`s good practice for me, and I`ve actually spent more time tweaking my own .cfg files in ef2, including going over the "new" cvars then I have been playing the game, although I`ll be doing more of that when I`m satisfied with my configs [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]