Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Tech Help

Old 09-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Kevok

Default ATi Catalyst 3.7 drivers

I installed the new drivers from ATi this morning and went I went to play EF2. Low and behold my fps is less than 1 per second......on the menu screen. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Originally i had AA and AF at max, turned it off and there was no change.

Specs:

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
1 gig ram
128mb ATi Radeon 9700pro

DirectX 9.0b

Can anyone else with an ATi card confirm that the new Catalyst drivers have problems with EF2?
Kevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
mikey

Default Re: ATi Catalyst 3.7 drivers

I have the exact same problem after installing the 3.7s.
P4 2.8 800HT, 1GB, 9700 Pro, XP
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

That's ATI's fault, complain to them.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
mikey

I wasn't complaining anal-og kid. He asked if anybody else had the problem and I was trying to help, unlike others.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #5
Dunsel
Rookie

Well, I'm having the same problem too. I've just setup a new system, with the ATI 3.7 drivers, and I get the 1 fps problem. I had EF2 on my old system too, and with the 3.6 drivers everything was fine. I used an ATI 9800 Pro on my old system, and moved it into the new system when I assembled it.

Looking at the config file EF2 uses, it seems that EF2 doesn't recognize my ATI 9800 Pro video card properly once I've installed the 3.7 drivers. In my config for the new system I can see this line:

seta r_lastValidRenderer "GDI Generic"

but my old system's config, under the 3.6 drivers, shows this:

seta r_lastValidRenderer "RADEON 9800 Pro x86/SSE2"

Well, I'll check over on the Rage3d forums in case someone has found a workaround other than removing the 3.7 drivers. I'll post here if I find one.

Dunsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:28 AM   #6
Dunsel
Rookie

Okay, I did some testing and found a workaround, sort of. First let me say that it is probably better to just stick with the 3.6 drivers to preserve your config and other customizations.

I can cause the problem to happen by beginning with no config (I just erased mine), then starting the game, going into Video | Advanced options and checkmarking the Full Scene Anti-Aliasing box. Click apply, and boom, instant 1 fps.

So, I exited the game (using the console quit command is fastest), erased my config again, went into window's display | settings | advanced | opengl panel and forced antialiasing on there. Then I ran the game again, set up all my favorite video options ( except anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering), and played a solomatch to test, and everything seems fine.

If you have upgraded to 3.7 and get the problem, and if you are technically adept, you might be able to fix it by exiting the game and setting these two lines in your config to zero (as below), but I can't guarantee that this will restore anything...

seta r_anisotropicFiltering "0"
seta r_arb_multisample "0"

Sorry if this is confusing, but I am very tired right now.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:43 AM   #7
Dunsel
Rookie

I just found the easiest solution to this problem over at the Rage3D forums:

Dreamweaver wrote:
Quote:

I found that the problem occoured when I had FSAA and AF on in both the control panel and the game. I used Safe Mode to switch them both off in the game and just used the control panel settings. Hope that helps someone.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Kevok

Thanks Dunsel, that worked perfectly. Silky smooth fps now.

BTW regarding it being ATi's problem, driver revisions don't happen every day, it's much easier to fix/find workarounds on a software end than it is in drivers.
Kevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:41 PM   #9
mikey

Ditto Dunsel, thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Quote:
anal-og kid.
You are so unoriginal it's not even funny infact I was the first one to use it.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:19 AM   #11
ratty_redemption
Experienced

now you guys have the 3.7 drivers working, have you noticed any performance increase over the 3.6 drivers?

I agree the workaround would be simple now we know what to do, and there was nothing wrong with your posts here Dunsel [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but as I`m only on 56k, it`s nice to know in advance that an 8mb dl is likely to give better performance.

and is there a new control panel version and do you guys always recomend dl them? ..or does it come with the 3.7 drivers?

sorry for the n00b question but I`m new to radeon cards [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
ratty_redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:37 AM   #12
Robbiesan
Veteran

bit late on a reply here but RR, head over to Rage3D.com and get registered.. it's a great site for ATI users.. I've been going there since I got my R8500/64 about a year or so ago..

ATI has come a long way with their drivers in recent years but they still release a dud once in a while.. I have 3.7 and don't use AA or AF since the 8500 doesn't have enough power anyway so I haven't run into this problem.. Just like any new device drivers (from whoever) some releases are better than others.. I generally like to read user feedback to see how a new driver set performs.. if it sounds good I'll give it a go, and if not I stay with what works.. as with any device driver set, new releases don't necessarily mean better (Via for example, some bad memories there)..

One thing I will say is to get used to the proper way to remove ATI drivers to ensure you get a clean and stable install.. by that I mean you have removed previous drivers completely so what you install is for sure the new set without remnants of previous drivers.. there's a lengthy thread on the Rage3D forums about how to do this but here it is for basic driver removal and install under XP.. this does not include MMC drivers and apps so for that please see the thread here:
Guide to uninstall ATI drivers completely.

Here's the procedure I follow and my system is stable and games play very well for an R8500 (XP, DX9.0b, Cat3.7). This is for XP users. For other OS versions (98, Me, 2K) please see the posted Rage3D thread.

1. in Add/Remove programs uninstall the ATI drivers, and say 'no' to restarting

2. remove the ATI control panel if you had installed it, then say yes to restarting

3. when restarting, after DOS level hardware detection hit F8 repeatedly until you get the DOS menu. Choose 'enable VGA mode'

4. once at the desktop a basic driver will be installed and that's okay. go ahead and allow XP to resize your resolution so you can see more of the screen

5. now, use a program like RegCleaner to find and remove all leftover ATI registry entries. restart in VGA mode again

6. make your way to C: (or wherever you installed the ATI s/w) and delete the folder. mine is on C:\ATI

7. now go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and delete all files that begin with ATI (ie. atimtaa.sys .... atinxsxx.sys). now restart in VGA mode one more time.

8. after restarting go ahead and install your new drivers. restart and then install the ATI control panel if you like. I don't play with my settings in control panel so I don't use it. restart and you're done.

it's a bit of a process but once you get used to it you'll be able to change your ATI drivers properly and quickly. It's worth the effort to follow this process. anyhow, I hope that helps.

Cheers

Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:03 AM   #13
ratty_redemption
Experienced

thanx a lot Robbiesan, for the info and links, and I`ll follow your advise ...well the win98se version, but I guess the principle is the same?

I can see the sense in completely removing residual driver files before a new install, it`s just a shame the ati installer doesn`t automatically do this ...but it doesn`t sounds like too much trouble to manually do it, if our systems are more stable afterwards [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and I`ve been thinking of getting a reg cleaning program for some time, just didn`t know anyone that could recommend one ...it`s a pain trying to clear out hundreds of symantec entries after a bad install of one of their products, or after I`ve asked add remove to "remove" a large program and it makes a half hearted attempt at it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Robbiesan
Veteran

anytime RR.. yep, follow the guide on Rage3D for the Win98 process.. once you get the hang of it changin ATI drivers will become second nature..

As for Regcleaner it is a great little freeware program.. I use for situations like that too.. remember though that you should delete leftover folders of the specific program you are trying to use.. be careful with Symantec programs though.. they create a shared folder which contains shared files for various Symantec programs.. if you only have one to remove you're okay, but two or more, you will screw the other programs by deleting the shared folder and have to fiddle with and reinstall each...
Old 09-22-2003, 05:16 AM   #15
ratty_redemption
Experienced

understood and thanx for the advise [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

this also explains why I`ve had problems in the past, with say uninstalling a symantec firewall but not the anti virus, or vise versa.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:55 AM   #16
ratty_redemption
Experienced

I dl that reg cleaner program from their main page you linked to, and although it says it installed fine, when I try to run it, I get a stack flow error, or something like that and win98se hangs.

I tried dl again, uninstalled the first install, before installing the new dl and the same error [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

does this app not work in 89? cus I didn`t see any info on what os it is ment to work with.

can you recommend another reg cleaner type app? as I don`t want to search for one using google etc ...cus I only want to use one that people I know (to some degree at least) say is safe.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #17
Robbiesan
Veteran

ack, I keep forgetting you are running 98se..

RR, I did a search on Google.. try out some of these programs and see how they work for you..

Google results - Registry Cleaner for Win98
Old 09-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #18
ratty_redemption
Experienced

so do you think that was the only reason the reg cleaner wasn`t working on my system? cus I use win98se ...as opposed to a more serious problem? ...np if it`s just the wrong os version.

and since I posted here for help, I read that the some of the rage3d guys use a cleaner called driver cleaner ...although this apparently works for all ms os, it removes the gfx card device from our systems, so we have to install as if it`s new hardware... sounds ok, I guess, so I`m going to try that one out.

if it or any of the others you`ve just linked to, work for me then I`ll post here.

I probably won`t register with rage3d unless I need to post there as well.

but thanx again for your help Robbiesan [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 07:13 PM   #19
Robbiesan
Veteran

no worries RR.. definitely have a look around and experiment a bit.. I use XP so solutions for 98se would take a bit of looking.. give drive cleaner a try and see how it goes..
Old 09-25-2003, 09:41 PM   #20
ratty_redemption
Experienced

in my n00bie tests using driver cleaner, it only seems to remove the driver files similar to how 98se add remove works... but it didn`t clean out the registry of ati or nvidia display drivers (I manually still had to clean those entries)

and after using this cleaner, we have to then tell 98se that it has new hardware (in my case, a radeon 9800 pro) which wasn`t as easy or straightforward as I hoped it would be.

so although this cleaner is of some use (to confirm if a add remove uninstall has left any files behind) ...but other then that I wouldn`t recommend it... then again I am a n00b to this so it could be I wasn`t using it right.

saying that my system is more stable again and I even gained about 100 points (over all) in the 3dmark 2001se bench test, so I guess it was worth it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

next time I upgrade the ati catalyst drivers I`ll try one of the other reg/driver cleaners... and if anyone here finds a good one for 98se or xp etc, please tell us about it.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #21
Robbiesan
Veteran

good job.. nice to see an increase in performance albeit a small one.. I guess it's probably easier with XP since it will detect and load a driver for your card.. you can install the new drivers afterwards..