Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 12-12-2002, 04:02 AM   #1
Smokey [UPS]
Addict

Default Counter-Strike...

...[censored] sucks.
Smokey [UPS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
zoso
Experienced

Default Re: Counter-Strike...

does that mean you won't buy the game?
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:36 PM   #3
KevinUK
Veteran

I dont think I will be buying it because I'm no longer into CS, I've moved onto more up to date games such as SOF2 which could be said to be CS with better graphics I guess [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Is the game aimed at hardcore CS fans or will it bring some ex-CS players back too?
KevinUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #4
warrior
Fanboy

More up to date games. That argument kills me.

If it works it works.

People have been playing Football and Basketball for a hundred years.

Do you hear anyone saying they are giving up football for a more modern game?
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:12 AM   #5
Castle
Level Designer

hehe
Thats ture

it plays out like this

"God DAMN Foot ball is SOOOO old
how come they didnt release more levels by now!?"
The game isnt fun unless it supports features I dont normaly comprehend on a technical level anyway!!

FOOT BALL SUCKS!"

This leads me to ask a question though.
Normaly when people say the engine is old. What exactly do they mean? Isnt a 3d engine a collection of features packed together in such a way that they all act together to make a believable environment and hopefuly a playable game right?
When people are saying the engine is old they are complaining about exactly? I allways chocked the who debate as that the game lacks X feature that is being shoved done your neck anyway with the newer games. Many of wich will easily force you to upgrade you computer.
(Im not saying thats bad either Im going buy doom 3 for sure!)
It sure cant be a debate that the game play is allways better with newer games. As far as I can tell the game play is much the same as it allways has been especialy in its core elements.
What im getting at right now is just because the engine is newer doesnt make it built anybetter than an old one and since the game play is almost another whole debate what feature does SOF2 of all game have that makes it soooo much cooler than Half lifes "Not up to date engine"
What feature is it?
Are you going to tell me that SOF2 is a better game because it has shader scripting!?

I dont think that SOF2 has the per poly bounding box hit detection for more realistic locational damage. I think SOF2 just has a giant square bounding box over the player for its hit detection. BOY SOF2 MUST BE SOOOO UP TO DATE!!!

I could be wrong about the hit boxes on SOF2 though Im just assuming after playing the game for a bit. hehe
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
KevinUK
Veteran

What I mean is things like the death animations and how you can shoot body parts off. That and its obviously visually better with higher resolution textures and stuff.

I dont see how you can talk about football cos its not as if you can improve the 3d graphics of it [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

SOF2 is often faster paced too with no lame campers and cheats! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 08:17 PM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

My only gripe with older engines is the polygon limits. I love expansive natural environments. NOLF2's final level was more towards my preference.

but I know if you are creative with HL you can create a level that just as similar in geographic design. Just look at Gunman Chronicles, [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Lots of beautiful outdoor locations.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Castle
Level Designer

higher res textures and being able to blow off limbs are not entirely what I would consider to be engine features.
You can make large textures right now and put them in wads and turn up the pixel density right now in half life. It looks amazing!
Though on a side note I have to admit the 4 x texture densitys of the level geometry of sof 2 isnt something the half life engine handles all that well. It chops up polys to allow for splits on every 240 pixels and on texture repeats. It also keeps track of how sharp the light maps are depending on the pixel density.
This all boils down to the software mode support. Its a trade off rather than a limitation really. It shocks me to see how many people still use software mode. If SOF2 had support for Software mode it might end up with the same problems I imagine and in turn it would maybe even have a slightly larger fan base...

the death animations and limbs getting shot off are just cool features you can put into almost any engine.

However Cheating DOES SUCK and I couldnt agree with you more on that. though its not so much an engine problem as a side effect of Id releasing the source code to q1 and I imagine Valve has some cool ideas in the future to deal with this problem you may or may not know about.
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #9
warrior
Fanboy

Well, if everyone thought the engine sucks...then why is it STILL the most POPULAR 3D SHOOTER on the Internet?

Give me good game play over Graphics anyday.
You can only 'LOOK' at graphics. Enjoying a game consists of GAMEPLAY.

It's not like this engine looks like commander keen or anything. It still looks fairly realistic.

Well, most of the gaming community must think so.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:51 AM   #10
KevinUK
Veteran

Lets call them coding features then hehe [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I think its the most popular game on the net (by miles) because of the system requirements? I remember when I only had a 28k phone line and it was playable on an old machine but now I have adsl and a much better PC where others may still be stuck with lower end machines so its all they can play.
Like in Tribes 2 you need at least a 1 Ghz really or its no fun at all and so the market of buyers is obviously much slimmer than people able to play CS. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 AM   #11
UniKorn
Veteran

I'm not really worried about the use of an old engine. I'm sure that the engine is heavily modified, and lets face it, apart from the terrain levels sof2 maps are blocks as well. No offense meant here, that's how reallife stuff looks.

I'm very interested in seeing where this is going, I've never been a real counterstrike fan, I was more of a quaker. Sof2 changed my thought on that (great gameplay it has) and I'm definetely going to try that one.
UniKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #12
warrior
Fanboy

Well if you have internet connection problems then the Single Player will hopefully show a lot of people what they have been missing.