Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 04-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Torpedo
Experienced

Default Medikits in single-player.

I just read in the tidbits that you will be able use medikits to heal in single-player CS:CZ. Now without playing the game I'm not gonna start spewing out criticism over this decision, but the whole "100HP-no-more-no-less" thing is kind of a holy grail in CS.

I'm however curious as to how this decision was reached.
Was this planned from the beginning or was it instated to compensate for a high difficulty level?

And the question I really want an answer to is, will you be able to disable this as an option?
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
MadOnion
Fanatic

Default Re: Medikits in single-player.

In single-player, some form of regeneration or healing has always been a staple. What do you suggest in place of medkits?
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Torpedo
Experienced

Skill offcourse [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
kanaeda
Veteran

the player has a standard health and armor capacity. as with any single-player, mission based action game there are game mechanics in place to help the player replenish his/her health levels when needed. Removing health suplements just would not work in the design of Condition Zero.
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Torpedo
Experienced

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
as with any single-player, mission based action game there are game mechanics in place to help the player replenish his/her health levels when needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true as long as were talking about traditional FPS's, but CS (IMO anyway) leans more toward the "realistic" FPS's like Rainbow 6, Rogue Spear and the Delta Force series. In these games there's no getting your health back and I kinda like that cuz it cranks up the tension level.

Prime example of how tension increases the gameplay quality follows:
I played through Alien vs. Predator on Directors cut. All races. All bonus levels. Without that girly "save-all-the-time" patch. And there's no doubt in my mind that I had more fun without that patch, cuz I knew that I had to stay alive until I had finished the mission, or start all over again.

That tension is a CS cornerstone, If you're too slow/foolish/sucky, you get to play spectator mode for the rest of the round and most people will try really hard not to go there. That's the kind of tension I hope to find in CS:CZ. As I've stated previously, I haven't played the game yet and I don't know how you've implemented this, so I'm not criticizing your decision, but generally speaking, health boosters often detensifies the gameplay.
If the missions are much longer, say 15-20 mins., I would agree that some sort of HP booster would be necessary, but the impression I've got (and plz correct me if I'm wrong) is that the missions would be something like 8-9 mins. long at most.

I guess this all boils down to me having quite high expectations for this game, but feeling uneasy about you guys bringing in a element which in it's absence has previously helped define what Counter-Strike is all about.Which is fast-paced action, where mistakes like getting hurt cannot be remedied .

But I know that you guys do this thing for a living (u lucky bastards [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and do it really well, so bear with a backseat-GD here. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh BTW, everything else you've done with the game looks pretty fantastic, GJ!
Old 04-03-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
kanaeda
Veteran

i'm pleased to say that your impression is, indeed, misguided. you'll be hard pressed to find more than a couple missions that are not 20+ min long. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
MadOnion
Fanatic

20 missions * 9 min per mission = 180 min long game [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

What you described might please some hardcore gamers, but it'd definitely frustrate the hell out of many casual gamers.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #8
Torpedo
Experienced

From the unofficial FAQ:
Condition Zero will feature over 20 missions, each consisting of three to four maps. Each of these missions is self-contained, with its own storyline and a definite beginning and end.

[/ QUOTE ]

20+ mins. per mission sounds great!
But will you progress directly from map to map HL-style, or will there be intermissions where you can reequip and regain health between maps? I mean if you get a breather after every map, each sub-mission (I know, I know) wont last longer than my previous estimate of about 8 mins.

I don't know how much info you're allowed to give at this time, but I would love to hear more about the mission structure of the single-player part. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to enlighten this poor CS-junkie. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT: I was wondering if there is a command you can run to prevent the healthpack entities from spawning on the map?
I mean, if you want a really tense playing experience like the toughest difficulty levels in DOOM and Duke3D.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #9
Mr.CleaN
Level Designer

We actually started off with no health entities...it just didn't feel right or work very well.

Keep in mind... a CS round (mission) lasts 3-5 minutes, and you don't normally have more than 12 opponents (not to mention you have a pretty good number of teammates to help).
On a mission 3-4 times as long with 40 or 50 opponents...you NEED health.
Mr.CleaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Prime example of how tension increases the gameplay quality follows:
I played through Alien vs. Predator on Directors cut. All races. All bonus levels. Without that girly "save-all-the-time" patch. And there's no doubt in my mind that I had more fun without that patch, cuz I knew that I had to stay alive until I had finished the mission, or start all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]
This "girly" patch was the result of a considerable amount of people complaining about the game's difficulty. Sure, most of them probably weren't hardcore players like yourself, but you need to keep in mind that the hardcore audience is really tiny compared the more casual gamer who spends nowhere near as much time playing games. Besides, if you want to get through a mission without using health packs, just don't pick them up. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #11
MadOnion
Fanatic

The casual gamer who wants to finish the game quickly does the opposite by enabling god mode and not worrying about health.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:07 AM   #12
Castle
Level Designer

You get your health back in between every round in counter strike. Most of the time you can also get your armor and ammo back if you can spare the cash. If you think about it a certain way accounting for the many vast and subtle differences of a single player game verses a multiplayer game you can draw some similarities. In single player you donít have rounds that reset your health. However, if you look closely at the game flow of Half life and Opposing force you might notice that you need to beat areas with bad guys and when the fighting is over you almost always find a room that gives you a stock pile of health and ammo. Though single player tends to keep you on your toes when it comes to just when you will find these stock piles it is very similar to the idea of rounds that reset you back to 100 health. After every big fight in a single player game you will always tend to find an equally large stock pile to allow you to play through the next round of fighting. Thus we are not straying as far from the Counter Strike world as you might think we are by allowing you to pick up health.
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 02:09 PM   #13
MadOnion
Fanatic

*tosses a discobang in Ritual offices, captures Castle amid the confusion, begins brutal interrogation armed with an extensive library of 'NSYNC music videos saved for this very occasion* <ul type="square">[*]With enough cash you'll be able to purchase armor and ammo, is a buy menu enabled at the start of a mission, in designated areas or throughout missions?[*]In every mission, your role is leader of an elite squad, will you be responsible for equipping the whole squad?
[*]Will you be able to retreive health, armor and items from corpses?
[*]Will you be able to pick up and hide corpses in missions that require stealth over brawn?[/list]
Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM   #14
Castle
Level Designer

Hey man!
RELAX!
I was using half life and opposing force single player as an example because that is more in the direction we are with CZ. I simply drew the connection that if you think about it hypothetically the quiet moments between battles in those games when you can stock up on health and ammo as being very similar in respect to how after every round in CS you are given health and a chance to buy ammo. I meant nothing more than that. I never said anything about buying stuff and leading a squad. LOL

NO MORE NSYNC VIDEOS PLEASE!!!!!

Also I am going to have to point out that both of these posts are just my OPINIONS
I attached no solid factual information with these things aside from the fact that I stated what I personally think about CZ CS Half life Opposing Force and how the games flow.

Oh damn those disco bangs. taht m ak m e se colars!....
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #15
MadOnion
Fanatic

*ends psychological torture session*

I obviously misread your previous post. I was thinking of the Gearbox version which had an equip squad screen at the start of each mission.

Cross out questions #1-3. How bout the last question: Is it possible to pick up and hide neutralized enemies? This is done in Splinter Cell during a stealth mission to cover your tracks.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:03 AM   #16
fazCz8
Regular

what if you started your mission and u didnt beat that mission when u star again do u press the buy menu and it has HANDGUNS SUB-MACHINE GUNs etc.?Also does ur team always follow you r theres like certain groups and stuff?
fazCz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #17
MadOnion
Fanatic

Will it be possible to purchase weapons and equipment during the missions?

No, the player will start out with a preset number of weapons and equipment. It will, however, be possible to pick up weapons dropped by enemies.

Source: Ritualistic's CZ FAQ
Old 04-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #18
fazCz8
Regular

when you play the single player missions what is that like?is it almost just like CS but you have to do things?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:26 PM   #19
MadOnion
Fanatic

The gameplay will be similar to CS. You'll notices a few differences in single-player such as a story, cinematics, large environments, non-playable characters, and so on.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:58 PM   #20
fazCz8
Regular

when you play on ur single missions is the terroists just one model?Also is each one different than another?,like one Bot may do somethin esle than the other....
Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #21
MadOnion
Fanatic

There will be multiple terrorist player models and skins that make up a wide assortment of shady characters. CZ features 20 challenging missions set around the globe.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #22
fazCz8
Regular

Does the medkits heal u up to full life?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:53 AM   #23
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Eventually..
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:24 AM   #24
MachineX
Experienced

I agree with you, tension must be increased!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The tension is to great for me to handle waiting for CZ, its been too long...Don't make me angry, Must smash , must destroy , Hulk mad!! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
MachineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:25 PM   #25
MadOnion
Fanatic

Are the medkits treated as items (use at player's discretion) or applied immediately when picked up?

About the locational damage system in single-player, does armor come in separate pieces (head, body, legs) or a whole piece that restores armor in all areas?