Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 05-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #1
rootbin
Experienced

Default Question concerning the professional future of CZ

okay. i've been playing counter-strike since the betas, and i have some questions that deeply concern me...

first of all, will major changes be made to the game engine? ie physics, hitboxes, etc.... i was extremely upset with some of the physics changes that occured in 1.3 and 1.5...

second, i heard a rumor that you will no longer be able to move while scoped with an awp? i would ask that the ritual team not solely consider what 'nubs' have to say, but also what the professional cs community has to say. i know it's close to release, but it would make plenty of sense to send out emails to all the cal-im through cal-i members of www.caleague.com to see what they have to say.

i'm simply worried that the game won't be what it used to be. i'm hoping that it will simply be the game we have now, with better graphics and less bugs.

ahem.. also.. in CS 1.6, you are no longer able to see which members of the opposing team remain alive... i would just like to say that's the worst thing i've ever heard, considering the type of game this is, for several reasons:

one. afks. you can usually deduce from the number of people left on the opposing team who is afk.

two. you can simply pop down the console or just keep track of the number of people that die by watching the top right corner of your screen (i am NOT asking you to consider removing that, it's extremely neccessary for the type of game CS:CZ is).

if it must be kept in, at least make it a server variable... which defaults to cl_showdead 1.

-_- btw if ritual is at all open to internships with someone who has 5 years of c++ experience, for the love of all that is good email me (or just pm me through the forums and i will give you my email/phone number). oh yes, and i do live in dallas.
rootbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
MachineX
Experienced

Default Re: Question concerning the professional future of CZ

Interesting point, thats why I still play 1.5 not 1.6. I am going to have to wait for cz to do that, hopfully it will be a little better then 1.6. I have been playin cs since retail, but played hl for another year so thats me [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .
MachineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
will1990_11
Regular

hey i just wanna say a few things... i think they shouldent make it so u cant move while using ur scope but make ur scope shaky so u cant aim well snipers do piss a lot of people off and it does need something to make it harder but thats way 2 much and not realistic even make it so you have 2 walk slower. also the not being able to c whos dead on the other team thats good for reasons and bad for reasons cause it will make it more of a team game but piss peopple off cause it will make aa lot of people camp more. at least make it so u can c how many are alive when ur dead then give the host the option to make that rule on or off in his server.thats all i got 2 say
will1990_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
kanaeda
Veteran

now, it's been repeated over and over again but here we go...

Valve Software is retaining all control over the counter-strike code and what does and does not get added to counter-strike, the multiplayer online game. Ritual Entertainment is making Condition Zero, the single-player game, that will also ship with Counter-Strike incorporated into it.

with that out of the way, how about we answer some questions? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

no physics or hitbox changes have been made by Ritual. those would be internal engine changes, and Valve controls the engine code-base.

no, there have been no changes made to the movement code when you are using sniper rifles. we use the current counter-strike code for testing multiplayer levels here and it plays the same as it always has.

not seeing enemies as 'dead' on the player list - i've read about that one happening in the 1.6 beta. I have no clue what plans Valve has for this feature, or if that is their final 1.6 implementation. that one is totally on them.

intern positions - to my knowledge Ritual isn't looking to hire any programmers at this time. It never hurts to fire off a couple emails and a resume to get your name out there, though.
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
rootbin
Experienced

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] no offense intended, but above (edit: two above) is what i mean by the 'nub' opinion. i see that alot. what i don't see alot of (and scares me alot) is people saying leave the scope alone... the game is plenty balanced as is, movement is a BIG part of this game, and changing movement+scope will completely unbalance everything.

and also- there IS a speed penalty when scoped.

i do not see how not being able to see who's dead on the opposing team makes this game any more of a team game than it is. on that point, for the average player, it is NOT a team game, and shouldn't be. in public servers, other players should not control my gaming experience (which they would if it were a team game). team gaming should be left for clans in private servers.

edit:
yay. so ritual has nothing to do with the online version? and you say it ships with the game, so the two will not be incorporated together?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #6
MachineX
Experienced

Yes, they do tie in, in the sense of the same models, but not the same weapons. In mp there adding about 3. Riot shield, Famas (mgs gun [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), and the Galil. Then in SP they have the law, camera, and other stuff. They have improved things in cz graphics, effects, etc. So, overall the mp and sp are some what seperate in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:11 AM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

They tie in together on the basis that they exist within the same universe. The concept is the same between the two, there are terrorists and counter terrorists that fight each other during missions.

Where the two (CS and CZ) are different are in their presentation of that concept. One is multiplayer (or with bots) and that will come from ValveSoftware. The other is singleplayer (with AI as the terrorists) which comes from Ritual Entertainment.

Valve knows that some people aren't trigger happy to go download CS without knowing how it plays or they might be intimidated by the ultra competitive online play. That's why Valve chose Ritual to make a single player game based on the world of CS. To introduce the player to Valve's game and help them take the leap into online multiplayer games.

With all that said, Both the PC and XBox version of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero will ship with VALVE's Counter-Strike and RITUAL's Condition Zero.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
rootbin
Experienced

that's really not what i was asking, i meant are the two packaged in two one program, or will i get two completely different executables to run.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
BrushBaron
Level Designer

grrr... this may change but currently it's set up like they are both mods... hl.exe -game czero (Condition Zero) or hl.exe -game cstrike (Counter-Strike).

Old 05-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
rootbin
Experienced

haha.. so you guys aren't even gonna try to make us FEEL like we're playing a new game?? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #11
BrushBaron
Level Designer

No, technically it uses the HL.exe but on the surface of it all, it totally looks like a different game. You install Condition Zero and click on the icon on your desk top which brings you into the game with it's own graphics and menus.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #12
Torpedo
Experienced

Like OpFor?
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Yes, but better than OpFor of course, [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2003, 07:36 AM   #14
GunSm0k3
Experienced

running with a scope has always been one of the wierd things in CS. It's allready stupid now cus you have limited sight scoped, you lose speed strafing and such.

So it would not make that big a difference if you were unable to run scoped.

Let's say it will be handled like this: You scope up standing still, but when you start running you'll automaticly scopeout, and when you stop running you will return to your previuos scope position( 1x or 2x ).

And yess I believe CS can use more realism, like the running with knife while equiped with para issue, It will change a lot to the gameplay, but only improvements.
GunSm0k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #15
rootbin
Experienced

um, neg.

you forget that there is an entire community based around the way counterstrike functions as a GAME. if you want realism, go play some dumb crap like ghost recon (which in my opinion, was just like real life. not fun.). cs is a game, we play it like a game, and changing the smallest aspect of the game (as valve manages to do in about every other patch ;\ ) will be like kicking a beehive full of sweaty angry nerds with no life.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #16
GunSm0k3
Experienced

The community should adjust, there will always be poeple who don't want things to be done, but thats not in their hands, the developers have all right to change whatever they want, and if some poeple don't like it anymore, others will start liking it.

think of it as a new challange.

GunSm0k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #17
Venmoch
Regular

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
if you want realism, go play some dumb crap like ghost recon

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Operation Flashpoint? That was fun though!

But seriously, CS isn't the community's game. If Valve decides to replace the terrorists with pink fluffy bunny rabbits that jump around the map then it's their desigion. The community doesn't come into it.
Venmoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #18
Mr.CleaN
Level Designer

"you forget that there is an entire community based around the way counterstrike functions as a GAME. "

There was also an entire community based around Q3, including professional gaming compeitions, yet id released a highly debated patch 2 years later that significantly changed the way things played.

But regardless, it's a rather moot point to argue over it here since Ritual does not have control over the CS multiplayer code. We are simply adding new mp maps and building a singleplayer game around the CS mp universe.
Mr.CleaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #19
Automator
Veteran

But seriously, Venmoch, CS is the community's game. If you dont recall, Valve did not create CS. Just like they did not create DOD and now its a valve retail game.
However i think Valve realizes this to a point. The minor changes they have made through the years (good and bad) are just that, minor.
That is why they've taken control over the multiplayer. They know the community likes its cs the way it is. Now for there big patch, CZ and 1.6 to coincide, they add things like new mediocre weapons and a riot sheild. That only mixes things up but doesn't change what makes this the most played online game.

I also think the beta plays great, it's still cs and the steam system is a great upgrade (finally Alt+Tab).

ok ok....im done....just no pink fluffy bunny rabbits!
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #20
MachineX
Experienced

Hey, I have operation flash point, that game rox! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way I have been playing cs since retail, so thats about 3 years+, I remember the bunny hopping, then the new multiplayer score screen look, etc. So my opinion is not in any way nub. Thats a good way to steriotype people also. Without evening knowing then judge then, with out knowing I had played since retail.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:06 PM   #21
zoso
Experienced

Default Re: Question concerning the professional future of

op flash 2 is coming out next year (i hope)...

i loved the first one!!!! i can't wait for this one!!
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote