Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 05-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #1
rootbin
Experienced

Default Multiplayer co-op?

will there be a co-op mode for multiplayer that allows you to play through the single player missions with other people?

edit: MadOnion answered this question in another post, but i would like to get this confirmed by a ritual employee.
rootbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:48 AM   #2
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Default Re: Multiplayer co-op?

nope
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:47 AM   #3
Roncorolla

Are you guys serious about no coop for "multiplayer," so does that I am hoping it does mean that there is a coop for "singleplayer." The only thing I was really looking forward to in CZ was the ability to be able to play coop missions with my buddies. Why can't the Gearbox system be added in, there are reviews where people have actually played the Gearbox coop mode of CZ. Please tell me there is some way that "missions" other than the standard CS multiplayer game options can be played with your buddies.
Roncorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
BrushBaron
Level Designer

It is extremely difficult to design a game where you and your friends are able to play cooperatively. Here's why and I hope you'll see why Ritual chose to allow only ONE player to play the singleplayer portion of Condition Zero.

While Counter-Strike has 5 - 10 minute rounds of gameplay, Condition Zero plays more like Half-Life, where you play a series of levels (multiple .bsp files) that belong to a mission. These missions will have 50 to 100 or more enemies to kill as you play. This means on more difficult levels it's possible you and your buddies will die in the course of combat.

So what happens when your buddy dies and you are on the last .bsp file of the mission? Does he "respawn" next to you? That's not "realistic" Or does he "respawn" in the first level of the mission, an actual seperate .bsp file? That would require the server to keep track of two seperate .bsp files. Too much information.

More importantly, what happens when you die and you are the only one with the key card. It's lost for ever and the other players can't continue the level because they need the keycard.

What about health stations? Who gets the use them and do they run out at all?

These issues are tricky and detract from the purpose of our game, to offer a single player experience. Ritual is a very focused company and that focus ensures we offer the best gameplay possible.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
will1990_11
Regular

i c what ur sayin there.... why can u just make a health staition that never runs out?
will1990_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
BrushBaron
Level Designer

That's not very fun is it? Any time you get hurt you'd just run back to the health station. If you did that, what's the point of having your friends help you?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
will1990_11
Regular

then just have a medic like in team fortress! just make 1 weapon the the first player in the game gets (as an extra weapon) and if he dies its up to the rest of the gang to make it through without health and make it so that if some1 dies the medic performs cpr and cures the dead guy but takes like 45 seconds to do it aint super realistic but more realistic than med kits!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Interesting idea about a medic performing CPR... what happens if the medic dies? Who becomes the 2nd medic in command?

With that aside, the medic character doesn't exist in the Counter-Strike universe. Valve would not OK creating a new medic character like that for counter-strike because it conflicts with their Team Fortress game. If you want the play a game that has medics, then play Team Fortress. Counter-Strike and Condition Zero aim to provide the player with a different style experience.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #9
Roncorolla

Well I see how the complications can cause a stress on the game engine or server in keeping track of multiple .bsp files. I have played Half Life, wonderful game, and I guess its just hard for me as a die hard and dedicated player to see a great feature go to waste. Other than that, how does a future expansion to the game stand in terms of adding this feature of singleplayer coop to an extent, ie. Just have it when a player dies, he just dies, and doesn't spawn back, and when everyone dies, then you all just spawn where ever the player would start in your current version of the singleplayer build. Some of us veteran CS players would love to play with each other on missions and treat it as a "you die, you fry" sort of thing.
Roncorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #10
will1990_11
Regular

this might sound stupid but what if u had like 4 guys (depending on how many players there are) following behind (bots) and those guys represent lives... when you die you just change into one of them and pick up your old weapons that might sound stupid but whatever
Old 05-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
rootbin
Experienced

you should stop trying.
rootbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:49 PM   #12
zoso
Experienced

so.....are you saying we should make ghost recon?
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 PM   #13
hearst44
Regular

There is no point of asking to change something now cause we have no say and also the game is going to come out soon so no major changes are coming
hearst44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:17 PM   #14
BrushBaron
Level Designer

It's not that you guys have no say, but like you said last, the game is going to come out very soon so it's difficult to implement those changes without starting from scratch and delaying the game another 2 years.

Also guys, don't forget, we are hoping to release the tools and code to this game so you guys can mod it and make the game play modes you want to play.

If you want to make a coop version of Condition Zero like someone did for Half-Life, I'm hoping you'll be able to. I say hope because I only know that the level editor will be released publicly. I'm not sure about any code though. Ritual in general likes to release code but you never know what the power that be might have in mind. Although, we all know Valve favors the mod community, so it's possible you guys could see code released for Condition Zero. I'm not promising anything though.