Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II

Old 06-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
sandman_qc
Veteran

Default WO! This game kicks major asses!

First of: I'll just talk about the sp.
2nd: I don't care about the colors of the phasers or the sounds of the doors.

Now, that being said: THIS GAME IS FREAKING AWESOME. I'm still in the Borg cube BUT I noticed a couple of things already:
1) The lyp-synching (sp) is AMAZING! Jebus! You can see the tongue move... That's splendid.
2) The cut scenes are beautiful.
3) The story is real immersive so far.
4) The graphics are top notch, old Q3 engine or not.

I LOVE this game. hehe! Oh! And those tiny ships are a cool idea too. Granted I have found only 1 yet but I'm still looking...

Thanks a lot RITUAL for one of the best game I played this year... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
sandman_qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Final_Frontier
Fanboy

Default Re: WO! This game kicks major asses!

I suppose you don't care weather you're on a borg cube or a borg sphere either...

j/k. It really doesn't matter for gameplay purposes.
Final_Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
sandman_qc
Veteran

Quote:
I suppose you don't care weather you're on a borg cube or a borg sphere either...

j/k. It really doesn't matter for gameplay purposes.

Damn! You're right... Borg Sphere.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Islander
Veteran

Quote:
I LOVE this game. hehe! Oh! And those tiny ships are a cool idea too. Granted I have found only 1 yet but I'm still looking...
Now... should I say there are supposed to be 70... ? :smirk
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
TomServo
Rookie

yo sandy! glad you like the game, I'm soo getting this game
tonight too!
I heard some goods and bads here and there...
But your topic title says alot heheheh... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(note: I didn't read any spoilers....'takes wheel power though)
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
Kill_Designer
Regular

Agreed Sandman, so far the real stuff hasn't begun yet, and it's very fun. The textures are very sharp....it's so fun to be able to read LCARS screens. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Kill_Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
sandman_qc
Veteran

hehehe! I'm finished with the Borg SPHERE .... It was awesome.

SPOILERS COMING!

I wish they had added a little more cut-scenes about the return home... But, they couldn't possibly signed the Voyager crew just for that I imagine.

Oh! How can I get me a weapon to shoot that obnoxious dude who says Elite Force teams are irrelevant in the Alpha quadrant. Jebus! I want to practice my shooting on him.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
spaceyme

I just finished the game and would like to thank Ritual for providing an awesome Trek experience.

A truly fun and very polished single player game - just what I was looking for. I thought the length was fairly decent considering the standard length of SP FPS games these days.
spaceyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
Mitrani
Addict

Youre right... it seemed like an actual episode of trek.
Mitrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:39 AM   #10
Kill_Designer
Regular

Let's just hope like episodes of Trek....

There is a sequel. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 04:02 AM   #11
FaTaL eRrOr
Experienced

I'd totally like a sequel to this game. Maybe an XP where you can have a Virtual Enterprise. I'm gonna make a seperate post, just so ritual can see it more clearly, but this game rocks! I don't think I've played a better game this year.
FaTaL eRrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #12
sandman_qc
Veteran

I just finished (last night) the Dallas mission. I have one more point to add:
-It was, by far, the best in-game music I ever listen too. Creepy, and yet still Trek. I jumped off my seat at one point LOL... God I love this game... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SPOILER ALERT:

Oh! And I had the surprise of my life when I was with the Klingon dude on a mission (Before the Dallas) and suddenly you realize you're in the Holodeck... I was WTF?!? And started lmao after that.... Got me there... lol!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:42 PM   #13
Kill_Designer
Regular

Quote:
-It was, by far, the best in-game music I ever listen too. Creepy, and yet still Trek. I jumped off my seat at one point LOL... God I love this game... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Either you're putting words in my...keyboard, or you're me, or you're a part of my imagination, or we simply think alike, but that music WAS awesome. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

*spoilers of Dallas Mission*

The sounds of that level were also very alive, especially when gravity was off, all the creaking and stuff...and then you walk into a corridor and BOOM a bulkhead explodes.

The presentation of the Exomorphs was VERY cool. At first they ran away from you, and you caught mere glimpses of them, and sounds of what they did in other rooms, and then suddenly you walk into this corridor, and the lights go out....
Old 06-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #14
sandman_qc
Veteran

Quote:
The presentation of the Exomorphs was VERY cool. At first they ran away from you, and you caught mere glimpses of them, and sounds of what they did in other rooms, and then suddenly you walk into this corridor, and the lights go out....
Yeah! Reminded me A LOT of the first Alien movie... When you just saw glimpse of it at a time... And then BOOM! They're all over you... Scary...

The more I play this game the more I love it.... This is BRILLIANT work Ritual... This game is da bomb...
Old 06-27-2003, 01:11 AM   #15
GarretASUS

Quote:
Quote:

Either you're putting words in my...keyboard, or you're me, or you're a part of my imagination, or we simply think alike, but that music WAS awesome. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

*spoilers of Dallas Mission*

The sounds of that level were also very alive, especially when gravity was off, all the creaking and stuff...and then you walk into a corridor and BOOM a bulkhead explodes.

Agreed, the sounds on the Dallas level were very creepy and worked great. I was constantely looking around whenever such loud one's would happen. It really made me paranoid. And the grav suits looked great. The part where you opened the one air lock and air burst with a dead body flying out was one of the coolest things I had seen yet.
GarretASUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
Sean_the_sock85
Experienced

space.. the final fronteir... these are the voyages of the starship enterprise.. it's continuing mission... to seek out new crew members and dramatic situations.. to boldly go where the old crew never would
Sean_the_sock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:59 PM   #17
sandman_qc
Veteran

Well! Well! I just finished the whole thing, minus the tiny ships, wich I'll do the second time around. I just have 1 complaint actually: It's too short, in fact I felt it was shorter than EF1. Maybe because I was having a great time but it's how I felt. Remember that I wasn't looking extra hard for the secrets tho, I was just playing the game like there was no secrets.

Anyway, I still love the damn thing. The weapons are fun, especially that gatling (sp) gun. It rocked. Thx Ritual for a WONDERFUL game.

Btw, I found a bug. Just before you enter the lava chamber where the final boss is, you are in a room with those big butterflies that shoot fireballs and that big floating monster. Well! The first time around, I got killed by that monster. I reloaded my last save, and this time the big floating monster didn't even move an inch. I shot at it at will without him moving at all.

That's it! Now I'll play the game again, but this time I'll try to find all the secrets, including that Mario thing. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #18
BrushBaron
Level Designer

That's not a bug. It's our real-time variable skill level feature. You were killed by that monster and the game said, "Damn, he sucks... I'll turn off the AI so he can kill it a lot easier next time."

just kidding, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:56 PM   #19
Oreckel
Regular

<font color="red">*Warning: Massive Spoilers for Elite Force 2 and the ending of Elite Force 1. </font>

Quote:
Well! Well! I just finished the whole thing, minus the tiny ships, wich I'll do the second time around. I just have 1 complaint actually: It's too short, in fact I felt it was shorter than EF1. Maybe because I was having a great time but it's how I felt.
Agreed. I was very much looking forward to a nice long game that would last a week, but I felt that EF2 was even shorter than EF1. Perhaps it was becuase there really wasn't much build-up to the final boss. In Elite Force 1, you knew you needed to invade a station to disable a power source. As you got further, you realized that you had to place det-packs and DESTROY the thing. Finally, we have a vision where brand-new information suddenly comes into play, and Ensign Munro decides to betray his commander and dart off into sure death, against orders. During this time he encounters a massive weapons energy terminal that gives us 10 times the ammunition storage. A mere hint of what's about to come.

The ride up the elevator feels like it takes hours. Not a word is said except for Tuvok begging you to abort. The suspense is about to kill you, and then...

Finally, you're face to face with everything that this whole thing has been about. You have a nice long talk with him to try to convince him that diplomocy is the key. He doesn't like this idea. He sends swarms of tiny scavengers after you, which fall with a mere Phaser shot! Tons of fun going on a fragging frenzy taking out harvesters by the dozen. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Then, finally, it's not all over. We get to see some old friends come back and save the day.

"Arghh!" comes from the boss. Finally, all the other scavengers are gone and we're face to face with him. It's just me and him, in an empty room.

At this point, it's totally clear that this is end of the game. You've been given every hint of it. After beating him, you're shown a cutscene showing Voyager escaping from the mess - leaving you with no doubt that there's no unfinished business.

I hate to say it, but I didn't feel this way with Elite Force 2. Unlike the swarms of minature scavengers leading up to the boss (in EF1), the build-up to the boss in EF2 was...more bosses. That's not as fun, since you don't get that "i 0wnz" feeling, since you really need to keep saving after every shot you make, you keep dying, and the only satisfying death sounds are when he dies, which obviously doesn't happen too often.

So you've just finished off a mini-boss, you're feeling so relieved that that piece of crap Exomorphs is FINALLY gone, and in the next room, there's another one. You can't get that satisfaction that I like.

Then, I've found a Romulan Commander. To get to here, I had to follow a lot of paths. First the Dallas led me to the Attrexxians, then they led me to the Idryll, who led me to this Ferengi, who led me to the Romulans, and all of those "new paths" had that same sense of "Go here, next", instead of "That's where it ends". I honestly thought that the Romulan Commander would lead me to a whole nother race, espicially considering how easy it was to kill him (more on this later). It's also a shame that I never got to talk to him at all, or be able to fight with him alone. With the Boss you shouldn't have minions around distracting you; they were so annoying. I couldn't arm my Quantum Burst to fire becuase an minature Exomorphs kept getting in my way. I finally found a way around this problem, but it was a good 6 minutes before I did.

As I mentioned, in Elite Force 1, you get to fight back tides of scavengers that die by the dozen. In this game, it felt like they didn't die as easially. It was a lot of shots before even one would die, so I didn't get that "kill them by the dozen" feel.

Getting back to the story, this commander died, but I didn't feel like I had killed the Exomorhp race. There were still a bunch of minions running around in that room when I beamed back to the Enterprise. Then a cutscene follows, giving me hints that I might have just played the end of the game. I see the Enterprise leap away, and credits roll. I had no idea this was coming; I honestly expected to need to do something else. It truly shocked me.

That's my opinion on it. There was no suspense leading up to the Romulan Commander, I had no idea he would be in that next room. Then, to be honest...I found him easier than all of the other bosses. The Exomorph Commander had the ability to move, had much more powerful weapons, and a *lot* more health. If you found the right time to fire, only a couple of Quantum Bursts will destroy the Romulan Commander with no problem.

The other thing is that we never got to see old friends, either. The last Attrexian that we saw was back at the beginning of the game, as well as the Borg. I expected them to make another cameo in the game, but they didn't. I almost miss them.

The rest of the game was teriffic, but the ending is where Ritual failed. We never got to use the Radiation Disruptor in Single Player...that was such a let-down. I was looking forward to that weapon the most.

That's my take on the game. I hope that someone from Ritual will notice this post, and try to avoid the same mistake in the future. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Oreckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #20
sandman_qc
Veteran

Quote:
That's not a bug. It's our real-time variable skill level feature. You were killed by that monster and the game said, "Damn, he sucks... I'll turn off the AI so he can kill it a lot easier next time."

just kidding, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
hehe! I have to admit that it was a LOT easier... Since the monster wasn't moving.

But I did hear "Damn he sucks!" coming out of my speakers...

But I stand by what I said in my first post: this game kicks M.A.J.O.R. asses. I would have take more, but I'm happy about what I did get...

One questin tho, I noticed a lot of the Ritual staff in there. Even one of those blue guys with the antennas, wich had the name of a dev in reverse. Was there a Harry Lang in the game... Because, when I restart the game I would really like to shoo..... errrrrrrrr! talk to him... yeah! talk, that's the ticket.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:47 AM   #21
PingEnvy
Veteran

Actually the Radiation Disruptor is in three separate locations in the final mission. Twice outside and again in the final room (just look for it). This should be moved to the Single Player however as there are alot of spoilers in your post above.
PingEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #22
Grudge
Regular

Yeah, this is a kickass game. I just finished the SP part last night. Clearly the best Q3 engine game since Q3 itself. It's absolutely a top quality title. The models are truly awsome, the textures superb, the level design varied and imaginative and the gameplay is top notch. Too bad it's too short. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm going to try the MP out now. I have some ideas on building a CTF map. Can you use EFRadiant to build EF2 maps? Maybe I'll just wait until GtkRadiant and Q3map2 gets EF2 support...

Great game! Awsome work!

// Grudge
Grudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #23
MadOnion
Fanatic

&gt; Can you use EFRadiant to build EF2 maps?

No.

&gt; Maybe I'll just wait until GtkRadiant and Q3map2 gets EF2 support...

The EF2 GDK is expected to be released within a few weeks.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote