Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 07-21-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
rootbin
Experienced

Default wow

i left these forums in midjune... this game was supposed to be out in MAY for God's sake. i'm in disbelief. the peak time to release this game would've been last january. this whole cs:cz bit has completely missed the mark. they will sell nada.
rootbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: wow

we have a good idea that the game will come out in mid august because uk retailers are confirming that the game will come out on august 22 so take off a week and u got the release date for the US. At least I think thats what we were thinkin. Note me if im wrong!
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
i left these forums in midjune... this game was supposed to be out in MAY for God's sake. i'm in disbelief. the peak time to release this game would've been last january. this whole cs:cz bit has completely missed the mark. they will sell nada.
Yep, because we all know that Ritual would have gotten the game out by last January.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:05 PM   #4
d4rksuN
Veteran

You mean to tell me that Ritual has been holding the game for almost a year and a half?!?! JESUS! I could have already gotten sick of the game in that time.
d4rksuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
kanaeda
Veteran

no, ritual has been working on Condition Zero for just under a year now. they started the project in mid-August of 2002.
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:55 PM   #6
dark
Casual

A year with an engine already existing, materials left over to work with from previous developers, and a multiplayer handled by valve is plenty of time. Its not like you started with nothing so dont look for sympathy.
dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:30 AM   #7
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
A year with an engine already existing, materials left over to work with from previous developers, and a multiplayer handled by valve is plenty of time. Its not like you started with nothing so dont look for sympathy.
A) Ritual has said they did not use existing material from Gearbox (and I'm assuming Rogue, too, since Gearbox used their work)
B) What do you expect them to do? They've had very little time and it's amazing they could get it out to us in August, if they do.
C) Actually, they (for the most part) started with very little. Sure, it wasn't nothing, but considering they remade a large amount of the graphics and made a single player mode, that's a fair amount of time for one year.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #8
dark
Casual

Its obvious you dont know whats going on but anyway :
1) The game engine takes the longest to make, games built from scratch without an engine take 2-3 years. Ask John Carmack. It takes about a year to make a game if you dont have to worry about the engine.
2) Some of the materials were used from Gearbox, just not all of it. You do realize the player models are the same with upped polycount. Reskinning weapons and player models doesnt exactly take years to complete.
3) Condition Zero's multiplayer is basically counter-strike with a few extra maps and new skins. Valve handled making the bots and Ritual has nothing to do with Counter-Strike itself.
4) 18 single player missions is not a nutbuster in length by any means. Max Payne, SOF2, MOH:AA all had longer missions and probably more in depth.
If i was a game development team handed an already modified engine with textures, skins, maps left by a previous developer and didnt have to really worry about the multiplayer, I'd say a year is plenty.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
kevin442
Fanboy

isnt it 20? first it was 16,18,25,21 now 20. Make up yo mind????
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #10
Ice_Commando
Experienced

Dark, stop giving Ritual flak, you obviously don't know enough about actual game development. Unexpected things come up all the time. And don't assume that what ritual is doing doesn't require much work-- they're completely recreating CS from a graphical standpoint, and adding a complete single player game. From your post you seem to assume that the single player is a short gimmick because it's 18 missions long, I guess you must know how long each mission is to say it's "not a nutbuster in length by any means". Also ritual is dealing with valve, which is enough to delay it this 2 months.
Ranting won't get the game out any faster.
Ice_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #11
dark
Casual

Completely recreating CS from a graphical standpoint? Yeah, okay you have all the answers.
*note sarcasm
Old 07-23-2003, 05:46 PM   #12
kanaeda
Veteran

Quote:
1) The game engine takes the longest to make, games built from scratch without an engine take 2-3 years. Ask John Carmack. It takes about a year to make a game if you dont have to worry about the engine.

HAHAHAHAHAHA sorry, that's just funny.

Is that why it's taking them more than 2 years to build Doom 3? In todays market it generally takes 18-24 months to build a solid, AAA title. It can be cut down to about a year but compromises will be made in order to meet that kind of schedule.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #13
dark
Casual

Coming from an employee at Ritual, a developer that defines mediocrity in gaming, tells me how long it takes to make an AAA game? I wouldnt even consider buying Condition Zero if it wasnt for valves involvement in the project. Hell, I wouldn't go near your elite force 2 with a 10 foot pole. I have followed JC's Doom III from the beginning and you act like you have the inside scoop at ID Software. PLEASE...Kanaeda you wouldn't know the first thing about making a A-rated title if one came to you in your dreams.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #14
MadOnion
Fanatic

Quote:
2) Some of the materials were used from Gearbox, just not all of it. You do realize the player models are the same with upped polycount. Reskinning weapons and player models doesnt exactly take years to complete.
3) Condition Zero's multiplayer is basically counter-strike with a few extra maps and new skins. Valve handled making the bots and Ritual has nothing to do with Counter-Strike itself.
4) 18 single player missions is not a nutbuster in length by any means. Max Payne, SOF2, MOH:AA all had longer missions and probably more in depth.
If i was a game development team handed an already modified engine with textures, skins, maps left by a previous developer and didnt have to really worry about the multiplayer, I'd say a year is plenty.
1) No way. The average development time for a AAA game is over two years, with or without a modified engine. That's 6 months of preproduction and between 18 and 24 months of production.

2) Actually, raising the polycount required all models to be created from scratch and then skinned. None of the Gearbox art assets were recycled.

3) CZ multiplayer is basically a high definition pack for CS that comes with at least ten new maps (not a few) and all new models, sounds and so on.

4) You can't compare the number of missions between those games to determine which game is longer. Each CZ mission is a self-contained story told in 3 or more levels. None of those games listed by you have a similar mission structure.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #15
hearst44
Regular

I dont know that much about computer games but one thing i do know is that a employee of a game developer (Kanaeda) would know a hell of a lot more than a guy that follows video games (Dark)
hearst44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #16
CT_Seal007
Rookie

What AAA title games have you worked on? I want proof. otherwise your comments have no weight what so ever.
CT_Seal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #17
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Coming from an employee at Ritual, a developer that defines mediocrity in gaming, tells me how long it takes to make an AAA game? I wouldnt even consider buying Condition Zero if it wasnt for valves involvement in the project. Hell, I wouldn't go near your elite force 2 with a 10 foot pole. I have followed JC's Doom III from the beginning and you act like you have the inside scoop at ID Software. PLEASE...Kanaeda you wouldn't know the first thing about making a A-rated title if one came to you in your dreams.
Grow up, man. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #18
dark
Casual

Madonion you dont work for Ritual so stop posting like you do.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #19
MadOnion
Fanatic

I'll take that as your admission of error. You don't know what company I work for and chances are that you don't work in the game industry at all, so shut up or stop crying.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #20
kanaeda
Veteran

for what it's worth, since you 'follow games' so well, i am no longer an employee of ritual entertainment. honestly, i don't need your re-assurance as to whether I do or do not know what it takes to make games. considering my current career opportunities, i think i know a thing or two about my job.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
for what it's worth, since you 'follow games' so well, i am no longer an employee of ritual entertainment. honestly, i don't need your re-assurance as to whether I do or do not know what it takes to make games. considering my current career opportunities, i think i know a thing or two about my job.
LOL! Bitch slapped! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

(or "pwned", but that was more fun to say [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 07-23-2003, 11:09 PM   #22
kevin442
Fanboy

Why cant we all be one happy family like the Waltons or the Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family or the family on 7th Heaven?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:19 PM   #23
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Because we aren't getting paid ton's o' money, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:37 PM   #24
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Because we aren't getting paid ton's o' money, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Exuse me, but the 7th Heaven family is paid for by a pastor!... But I've always wondered why there house is so big... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 11:48 PM   #25
dark
Casual

Bitch slapped? There wasn't one insult in his post- Kanaeda was defending himself. I don't feel as if I was owned in anyway, thank you.