Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 AM   #1
dark
Casual
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 41
Default Half-life 2 postponed?

Gamespy and Gamespot have stated Vivendi is delaying HL2 until holiday 2003. Theres a lot of game bullshit these days. Doom 3 has been delayed as well. Whats up with this? Why cant anyone meet their release dates? Sorry Im just frickin angry and dissappointed all around.
dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:49 AM   #2
Ice_Commando
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 118
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Same here, but it's not like we didn't see that one coming...
Ice_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:07 AM   #3
Soyoman
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 20
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

It seems to me that all of these game companies really need to get their shit together. It's becoming an un-welcome trend lately (which Vivendi started), and I really hope they aren't surprised when sales suffer after release.

In the end it's their own fault, so they'll get what they deserve.
Soyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:57 AM   #4
Neox
Casual
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 30
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

yes it is true they need to get their act together. These companies, i know as a fact, try to wind out the release as long as they can to get more and more people involved into wanting to buy into the game franchise. It is here that many unfortunately do the wrong thing and turn away from the game. I myself am angry but will not go against HL2 or CZ. It is not the games fault, it is the rich bastards at the top who are at fault.
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:31 AM   #5
dark
Casual
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 41
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

I agree, its all about the marketing strategy and how much money can be made. Look at the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the movies were all done relatively at the same time a couple years ago. But why, you ask, are they spaced apart a year each? Well, it gives each movie more time to sell franchise like t-shirts, video games, posters, dvds etc.. In my opinion that was ridiculous, im spending three years of my life watching movies i could have probably watched in half a year if they chose to release them when they were finished. What's making me more sore about this is there are no quality titles being released within the past year. The last big games I played were MOH:AA, RTCW, and Splinter Cell. Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 will be big but im getting older and I dont have the kind of time to play video games like I have in the past. The longer i have to wait for the release, the less I'll get to enjoy the games. Going into Computer Engineering in the fall will eat up the majority of my time.
dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:51 AM   #6
Kalabalana
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 458
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

All I [censored] know, is by the end of this year, 256 9800, 64 bit systems, and half-life 2, omfg
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:52 AM   #7
Neox
Casual
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 30
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] yes you are right in terms of the receent decent games problem. it is becoming too much of a wait for games to be released. I mean take a look at CS:CZ for example, in order to see whether the CS game franchise has grown in popularity, they have held the thing off for a long period of time. That is why Gearbox fell out with CZ. They waited and waited and busted their release date. Also please note that Gearbox gave it over to Ritual because it wanted to save what was left of its reputation after busting its release date.
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:55 AM   #8
MadOnion
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Creamy Center of Tomato Onion Soup
Posts: 1,503
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
I mean take a look at CS:CZ for example, in order to see whether the CS game franchise has grown in popularity, they have held the thing off for a long period of time. That is why Gearbox fell out with CZ. They waited and waited and busted their release date. Also please note that Gearbox gave it over to Ritual because it wanted to save what was left of its reputation after busting its release date.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 AM   #9
Neox
Casual
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 30
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

thank you MadOnion.
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:31 AM   #10
Soyoman
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 20
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

The main problem is, exactly as you guys pointed out, marketing and franchising. What ever happed to letting the product speek for itself. They take for ever just trying to get companies to buy into it.

I mean advertising and hyping is all fine and dandy, but until I see the hard proof, it's all a bunch of crap. If these people want to be assured as to the value of their product, make a website with a feedback forum and release a demo, instead of BS'ing us to death with a load of pics, renders, videos, and false hopes (ie. supposed release dates), and going on what people say about that.

The plain and simple of the matter is, hard evidence. Unless we get a kickass taste of these new games, they are just wasting ours and their time, time that could be spent doing better things.

Like dark said, most of us are getting older and are finding better or more demanding things to do. The longer you wait, the more the people you were aiming for will simply disappear from the market. At 22 i'm becoming one of them.

Unfortunately, real life eventually becomes the most important game of all.
Soyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 AM   #11
Neox
Casual
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 30
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
The main problem is, exactly as you guys pointed out, marketing and franchising. What ever happed to letting the product speek for itself. They take for ever just trying to get companies to buy into it.

I mean advertising and hyping is all fine and dandy, but until I see the hard proof, it's all a bunch of crap. If these people want to be assured as to the value of their product, make a website with a feedback forum and release a demo, instead of BS'ing us to death with a load of pics, renders, videos, and false hopes (ie. supposed release dates), and going on what people say about that.

The plain and simple of the matter is, hard evidence. Unless we get a kickass taste of these new games, they are just wasting ours and their time, time that could be spent doing better things.

Like dark said, most of us are getting older and are finding better or more demanding things to do. The longer you wait, the more the people you were aiming for will simply disappear from the market. At 22 i'm becoming one of them.

Unfortunately, real life eventually becomes the most important game of all.
unfortunately for us yes we disppear out of the market. but for the companies it is a win-win situation they get more marketing and franchising power and more often than not the gamers who dissapear go into the workforce in the burgeoning gaming market.
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
mFu
Experienced
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 115
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
Gamespy and Gamespot have stated Vivendi is delaying HL2 until holiday 2003. Theres a lot of game bullshit these days. Doom 3 has been delayed as well. Whats up with this? Why cant anyone meet their release dates? Sorry Im just frickin angry and dissappointed all around.
GunSm0k3, you were saying? I want $1 million wired by tomorrow morning. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
mFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #13
enfestid
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 428
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Gabe told Shacknews that this was the first he's heard of a delay, so don't hold your breath.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:04 PM   #14
Torpedo
Experienced
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 133
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Well Gabe ain't calling the shots on that, so I don't think that matters much.
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #15
d4rksuN
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: I was wondering that myself.
Posts: 238
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
What ever happed to letting the product speek for itself.
I think Half-Life 2 has very well spoken for itself. Of course almost no game can be very successful without advertising.
d4rksuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:00 AM   #16
tada
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Wow... again... maybe Half-Life 2 will have lunch with TFC2 or something.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:17 AM   #17
Neox
Casual
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 30
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
Wow... again... maybe Half-Life 2 will have lunch with TFC2 or something.
no and that wasn't copied off cs nation's poll on hl2
Neox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:34 AM   #18
kanaeda
Veteran
 
kanaeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 382
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

i'll will be stunned if HL2 hits the Sept. 30th date. seriously. hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if christmas rolls around and... oh, wait, HL2 still isn't on the shelf.
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:13 AM   #19
enfestid
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 428
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
Well Gabe ain't calling the shots on that, so I don't think that matters much.
But he does work at Valve and knows what's going on. I'm just saying don't hold your breath either way.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:18 PM   #20
MachineX
Experienced
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: I\'m right by the beach, boye!
Posts: 159
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Okay, now Ritual is doing cz because the other developers were not doing what valve thought as good enough for cz. Ritual is doing a much better job in my opinion. Hl2 most likely will not be prosponed because they alreadly released supposivly there offical release date, to move it would ruin there reputation greatly. You cant always base what might happen on other games they have done. I still have faith that HL2 will be released sept. 30th. I wont believe anything else until it actually does not come out on sept. 30th. So dont tell me, O hey it looks like sept is a laugh, well for me its far from it. So I suggest not paying any attention to things saying hl2 is prosponed. Unless proved to be offical, and ether Gabe Newell has announced it or anyother member from valve, of cource with evidence that they did say it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="orange">HL2 WILL COME OUT SEPT.30th, HAVE FAITH, BELIEVE! </font>
MachineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #21
BrushBaron
Level Designer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,457
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Here's a question for you all and when thinking of an answer don't think specifically about Valve, but of the generic game developer.

If a game misses its "official" release date, does the developers reputation really suffer? Is their reputation based on when games are released or how good the game is?

Lets say the game is a few months late but it kicks ass. Are you going to say, "I'm not going to buy any more games from them, they lied!" even though you had a blast?
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:16 PM   #22
MadOnion
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Creamy Center of Tomato Onion Soup
Posts: 1,503
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Blizzard is a developer that regularly postpones the release of eagerly awaited titles and most gamers understand the main reason why the delays occur: to maintain high standards. I believe that applying a standard has improved Blizzard's reputation due to greater customer loyalty.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #23
MachineX
Experienced
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: I\'m right by the beach, boye!
Posts: 159
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Yes but im aimming at games that have been awaited for along time and to delay it would in a sense ruin some of the publishers/developer reputation. That whould be that no one would trust a release date made by this publisher/developer. Im not saying this to valve, but they would lose the reputation of being on time and trust worthy on there release targets, deadlines, etc. Im not saying that the games they make would not kickass, but being dishonest with release dates could lose interest in a game. This does not always happens but making a false deadline, release,etc to any game certainly does not help the gamers , nor the developer/ publishers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="orange"> NOTE: </font>this is not aimmed at Ritual or valve just saying to any case this may happen.
MachineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #24
enfestid
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 428
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Quote:
Blizzard is a developer that regularly postpones the release of eagerly awaited titles and most gamers understand the main reason why the delays occur: to maintain high standards. I believe that applying a standard has improved Blizzard's reputation due to greater customer loyalty.
Same with Nintendo.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:26 PM   #25
BrushBaron
Level Designer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,457
Default Re: Half-life 2 postponed?

Yeah, I just never ever believe a release date, no matter who it's from. So, I don't ever feel burned if the game misses it's release date. If the game is out, awesome, if not, I'll keep myself occupied until it does come out.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.