Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Editing Forum

Old 08-19-2003, 12:34 PM   #1
MSE
Rookie

Default Password thing

How do you make those password screens? You know those that you used to open the lockers on the Enterprise.
MSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
Joshykins
Programmer

Default Re: Password thing

This documentation may be a bit out of date, and you will still need to refer to some map scripts for concrete examples... but here ya go anyway.

The entity list in Radiant includes puzzle_object.
Here is a list of the keys you must set:

"model"
A .tik file. If there is no model, it will just be an invisible bounding box in-game.

"puzzleobject_canceledthread"
This thread will be called when the player clicks on the "cancel" button in the puzzle UI. The cancel button is not available if there is a time limit or a "number of failed attempts before failure" (e.g. for the keypad puzzle).

"puzzleobject_failedthread"
Will be called when the player fouls the puzzle. This happens when there is a time limit that expires, or, depending on the puzzle, if the player does something specifically wrong (e.g. routing power to the wrong place in the routing puzzle). This should set off alarms and call in the Marines or something.

"puzzleobject_itemusedthread"
Will be called when the player successfully activates the puzzle object by scanning it (or whatever). This is where the puzzle will be initialized and told to run.

"puzzleobject_solvedthread"
Will be called when the player successfully solves the puzzle. This thread should open the door, or start the cinematic, or whatever.

"puzzleobject_itemtouse"
Specifies which item the player must use on the puzzle object in order to activate it. Should probably always be set to "Tricorder".

In the .scr file for your map, you need:

#include "maps/global_scripts/global_debugutils.scr"
#include "maps/global_scripts/tri_base.scr"

And then include any particular puzzle scripts you are going to use on the level:

#include "maps/global_scripts/tri_route.scr"
#include "maps/global_scripts/tri_mod.scr"
#include "maps/global_scripts/tri_keypad.scr"

The script tri_route.scr is for the Signal Routing puzzle.
The script tri_mod.scr is for the Modulation puzzle.
The script tri_keypad.scr is, of course, for the Keypad puzzle.

Each script (i.e. each puzzle) has its own set of functions that are used to setup an individual instance of a puzzle (see below).

If the puzzle_object has a "failedthread" key set, it will not allow the player to scan it again at all until it is manually reset from script. If you want it to become available again, you call the entity's event "puzzleobject_reset", just like you would call "gettarget" or "targetname", like so:
$puzzleobject.puzzleobject_reset();

You would supposedly do this after a certain amount of time had passed or something. This also means that if the puzzle unlocks some door when it's solved, you must keep track of the door being open, unlocked, etc, because the Tricorder script doesn't.

Joshykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
Phil
Veteran

I believe this only works in Single Player mode, though.
________
ShehasbigCock69 live

Last edited by Phil : 08-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
BrushBaron
Level Designer

I have to question why you'd want this in a multiplayer game? I don't think it would be much fun trying to figure out a code when someone is trying to kill you.

I haven't looked at this code yet, but the MP and SP use the same .exe file so it should work... in fact, I'm thinking that cooperative SP levels _might_ be possible, only then can I see you wanting to use codes.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Joshykins
Programmer

Nobody has ever tried it in Multiplayer, and I'm inclined to say that it would break horribly.
Joshykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #6
Phil
Veteran

I tried it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tricorder functions do not work in MP, other than scanning objects and looking at the readout.

Some levels are possible to play Co-Op in MP, but cinematics crash the server. I was looking forward to getting the full .maps like Raven released so I could remove them and have a fairly complete MP coop experience. The other thing that's screwy is you spawn in the void on most levels. Go figure. Most stuff works fine in multiplayer, but cinematics are the killer.

As for why I'd want tricorder functions in MP: http://www.eliterp.com/
I also enjoy a good frag, and do quite well when I'm on.
________
Depakote withdraw

Last edited by Phil : 08-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

You mean like... a theater production, but online, in a game, with people all over the world? That's wild!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #8
BrushBaron
Level Designer

I'm sure the weird spawning is due to the SP levels not having info_deathmatch entities for player spawn points.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
Phil
Veteran

Quote:
You mean like... a theater production, but online, in a game, with people all over the world? That's wild!!!
Pretty much... We have about 50 members and 130 registered users. The server is almost always active with people RPing, and sessions are scheduled weekly. I host the servers (EF1 and EF2) and the website/forums. The EF2 server is modded so you get the STX tricorder and phaser, and we have mappers and scripters (including me) working on maps, and I'm awaiting the source so I can put my mad c skilz to work on a mod to enable tricorders in MP [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

As for the spawn points, I could probably fix that in the code, and nixing the cinematics in a mod should work, which will hopefully be less work overall than modifying and recompiling all of those maps.
________
Cutesonya Live

Last edited by Phil : 08-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:35 AM   #10
MSE
Rookie

Yep. I'm making an RPG map. I was gonna use it for opening quarters and secured areas.
MSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:00 AM   #11
Simms
Regular

I have also been part of this group for a while. Great, dedicated and intelligent members, a fun community. Our games become more interactive all the time, and we're seriously hoping Ubertools can make our roleplaying experiences even better. This includes interactive functions like the "password thing".

My job has been killing me lately, but starting this weekend Ubertools has my full attention...
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:58 AM   #12
Deus1
Regular

So how do you include scripts in the maps ebcause all this #include stuff is bonkers how do you get that in a map?
Deus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
BrushBaron
Level Designer

hopefully someone will write a scripting primer which will make this stuff easier to understand.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:33 PM   #14
Skwirrley6

Alright, I believe I have two parts of the puzzle here, but I can't figure out how to put them together... I have the tricorder keypad basically functioning, with a secret_code, and the door is triggered, but how do I get the door to stay locked until the tricorder puzzle is complete?

Thanks for the help, I've included my .map and .scr files so you can see what I've got so far...

http://www.skwirrley6.com/Ranger.zip
Skwirrley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:42 PM   #15
System Lord Geb
Regular

from what i have noticed in MP the tricorder puzzles dont work the screen for them comes up but they have no interactivity what so ever.
from what myself and phil have noticed is that when one person scans with a tricorder, everyone else there can see it
System Lord Geb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #16
BrushBaron
Level Designer

tricorder puzzles don't work in MP
Old 08-24-2003, 07:13 PM   #17
Mitrani
Addict

As birddawg explained in our eliteforce.com chat:

[brushbaron] Jared, I've got a ? for you, if the source gets released, could modders activate tricorders to work in an MP game to solve puzzles and modulate doors, etc?

[birddawg] they could, but I wouldn't recommend it

[birddawg] the tricorders are very network-heavy

[birddawg] the puzzles, at least

[birddawg] they send a LOT of client commands across the network layer

[birddawg] so people using them would probably flood off

[birddawg] whenever you click a button in a puzzle it gets sent to the server

[birddawg] and then the server updates the view and sends it back to the client

[birddawg] definitely something you want to be SP-only

Mitrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #18
Skwirrley6

Actually, I am trying to build a single player map, I don't see any settings for making it either MP or SP (forgive my ignorance, I'm a noobie at mapping...)
Old 08-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #19
Skwirrley6

ok, I've got something working here, but I would like it to do one more thing.... After it has been opened, can it be closed again, and the whole thing reset, or just go to a func_door and opened normally?
http://www.skwirrley6.com/Ranger2.zip
again, sorry, I'm not a great scripter yet.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Edit:
I just noticed, the game seems to crash when I try to exit the game, but only when I'm playing this level... anyone have a clue why it would be happening?