Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 08-24-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default Development Questions

I have a few questions I would like the developers to answer about CS:CZ. Although these questions may seem strange, I am not asking them merely out of curiousity. They actually have a practical application and the answers will be of great interest to some mod developers I know.

1. Are the model and map formats for CS:CZ the same as when your company received the code and other work Gearbox had done on this game?

2. Is the data file archive format, e.g. PAK file, unchanged from Gearbox's work?

3. Does your company and the publisher plan on releasing an SDK for CS:CZ, and if so how comprehensive of an SDK? Will it include game source code or just a map editor and modeling software plug-ins?
Riley_Pizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
Kalabalana
Veteran

Default Re: Development Questions

1 and 2, gearbox's work was discarded, and ritual started from scratch (i'm pretty sure).
3: there is an sdk or something like it to help you make your own single player levels and other stuff for cz.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Quote:
1 and 2, gearbox's work was discarded, and ritual started from scratch (i'm pretty sure).
I have heard the opposite from what I believe to be a reliable source, but I would like to hear from Ritual on this since its developers obviously know the true answer.
I am not really interested in whether the game code was rewritten only whether the maps and models will be of the same file format.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
MachineX
Experienced

It was stated before in the forums a while back, that Ritual has started from scratch on the whole game. Don't say you want confrimation on this. I don't think they want to answer that twice.

Next, I have no Idea when they said the sdk will be released, givin, what is in it, etc. For this subject has not been answered. So hopfully we get an answer to that question if you want to know so badly.
MachineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

The model and map formats haven't changed as far as I know.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:23 AM   #6
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default Answers are still needed.

Quote:
It was stated before in the forums a while back, that Ritual has started from scratch on the whole game.
That could still mean a lot of different things. Is Ritual reusing the engine and/or model and map file formats Gearbox gave them, or did they throw that away too and are they using another engine? If they are using the same engine, did they change the map and model formats from the code they originally received?

I personally couldn't care less if Ritual is reusing art assets or not, but I would be skeptical that it is not since paying people to create everything from scratch would add a great deal of additional cost and time to the game's development.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Default Re: Answers are still needed.

The formats are all the same since this has to be compatible with CS 1.6. All new art (textures / skins) were created by Ritual I believe (came onto the project late) and some level geometry from Gearbox is used. There are other levels that were built from scratch at Ritual.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default A little more clarification

Quote:
The formats are all the same since this has to be compatible with CS 1.6.
So, does CS v1.6 and CZ use Gearbox's modified Half-Life engine which has model and map formats which were changed from the standard Half-Life formats, or are these formats identical to the current Half-Life formats?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
Ice_Commando
Experienced

Default Re: A little more clarification

Not to answer for the the team, but I believe the enhanced engine gearbox was talking about is what 1.6 is. As for the formats, they haven't changed, but for the maps I remember hearing that gearbox used a modified version of either radiant or the hammer editor-- either way, the formats have to be the same for compatibility with 1.6 public.
Ice_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:33 PM   #10
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default You guys still don\'t get it.

Quote:
As for the formats, they haven't changed
Changed from what? That is the key here. The map and model formats in Gearbox's enhanced Half-Life engine are different enough that they cannot be created or edited with the utilities in the public Half-Life SDK.

Quote:
for the maps I remember hearing that gearbox used a modified version of either radiant or the hammer editor
Gearbox uses Gearcraft as its map editor, but the map editor used is really immaterial. What is crucial is the bsp compiler and the map format it generates.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #11
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Default Re: You guys still don\'t get it.

We used zoners HL tools, so they are compatible with original HL.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default What about for the models?

Quote:
Hmmm. Maybe that is one reason why Valve was not pleased with Gearbox if their map format was not identical to the original. Actually I wish the formats were not the same because I would really like to have a map compiler for the modified format.

What about the model format? Is it identical to the current Half-Life format or different?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:43 AM   #13
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default But, Zoner works for Gearbox.

Quote:
Those still could be modified versions since Sean "Zoner" Cavanaugh works for Gearbox.

Has anyone at Ritual tried to load the maps and/or player models into the current public version of Half-Life? If so, do they work?