Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 08-29-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Default F**** thing.

I can tell you a secret you don't know about Longhorn, Palliadium. Its the thing that will ruin your PC experiance. It lets Microsoft have control of your PC. Guess what, its debuting with Longhorn. Go read about it. Microsoft has become abusive, and its time you open your eyes and realize it. Just look at your EULA of XP SP1, it gives Microsoft control of your computer. They make you pay more, but they give the consumer less and less value, and if you think Pallidium is going to solve your security problems its, not. Microsoft designs an operating system from the ground up to be insecure. Just look at your administrator mode, I'm sure all of you are running in it right now. I know there isn't a way out of it, because you can't do anything in a regular user(RunAs doesn't work for everything).
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 02:26 AM   #2
Vorax
Fanboy

Default Re: F**** thing.

Personally, I don't think there is as much to worry about as you might think. Why? Microsoft simply doesn't have the credit to take over TCP/IP. For that matter, microsoft doesn't even have the credit to have its operating system used in most secure systems within most government and military networks.

This isn't actually anything new. Microsoft have been trying to own the network via its own protocols for years. Actually, several companies have tried this, all have failed. TCP/IP is so pervasive that it can not be stopped. Not by Microsoft nor anyone else for that matter.

The fear is justified, and it is always good to wake people up on the dangers of Microsoft, but it will never happen. Rembemer how .NET was going to rule the earth and Microsoft would own the internet that way also? Remember how microsoft thought they would rule the email market with their own protocol? Hmmm... .NET is out there, but it is a distant second to J2EE and is generally considered an inferior offering (like most Microsoft "solutions"). Microsoft IIS was supposed to be the only web server out there within 2 years of its release...not...Microsoft was supposed to be the only choice for web site development tools....not....Microsoft was supposed to dominate the PDA market with one fell swoop of WinCE...not...Microsoft was supposed to take over the wireless cellular networks and cell phone market...not...Microsoft C# was supposed to crush Java...not...Microsoft was supposed to own the database market...not....Microsoft was supposed to take ownership of the multi-media formats...not...BMP will be the prevelant graphics format...not...etc..etc...its kinda sad really...Microsoft picks big targets and they always have a big gun pointed at the target, unfortunetly they are so inept they don't know how to load their guns, forget about hitting the target.

That is why Linux was able to get a foot hold, that is why J2EE is the 900 pound Gorilla and not .NET. C# is used by like 3 programmers and they are all looking for a new job on the side! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] MSN is just another portal site loosing money. For the most part, the only time Microsoft has actually made any headway in market share for its products is when it gives them away, at the cost of millions of dollars to themselves. Remember the law suits...that Micrsoft lost?

The one thing Microsoft has never learned is that people use their software because it is prevelant, not because it is good. Microsoft has been struggling for years to gain a new strangle hold since for the first time in 20 years, it actually started slipping on all sides, growth, market share and bottom line.

Rest assured, this will be another .NET that is struggling for acceptance in 3 years and failing badly. They, by fluke and lack of competitors, did get the OS market for the PC...through raw money power and pushing and pushing, they did get the office software market. Both of those were won over 10 years ago...they have had no real success since then in taking over a market except for markets where you don't make money and have to give away your stuff for free.

"PCs will never need more then 640k" - Bill Gates

I wouldn't worry to much about a guy that makes a statement like that. In a sense, that statement kind of sums up all the mistakes Microsoft has made...it is that kind of thinking that manages to sink them every time.
Vorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 03:19 AM   #3
Zer0
Fanatic

Microsoft creates the software that best fits its users.
That's all I have to say.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
chip5541
Regular

Thats why im getting a new AmigaOne with OS4.0
chip5541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
Smokey [UPS]
Addict

<.META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0" name=GENERATOR.>

Now, how the hell did that find its way into your webpage Vorax?

.NET is used much more then you jabber. Pocket PC + iPaq = the best PDA on the market. ...sure Palm may have more market share, but the iPaq is gaining ground. J2EE is the 900 lb. gorilla, are you kidding me? MSN = Hotmail = Domination. ...and your local database reccomendation for Joe Blow running a little mechanics/parts shop wanting to catalog all his parts would be? That's enough for now...

...and how long will people be quoting Bill Gates? Think about it, seriously. Tossing that around as though it was yesterday...sigh.
Smokey [UPS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:05 PM   #6
Vorax
Fanboy

Quote:
.NET is used much more then you jabber. Pocket PC + iPaq = the best PDA on the market. ...sure Palm may have more market share, but the iPaq is gaining ground. J2EE is the 900 lb. gorilla, are you kidding me? MSN = Hotmail = Domination. ...and your local database reccomendation for Joe Blow running a little mechanics/parts shop wanting to catalog all his parts would be? That's enough for now...
Pocket PCs rock, I agree, but the PPC has less then 15% of the market. I have been using PPCs since the first models were released (I loved my Nino), , I love them and have owned 6 different models and have developed software for them. But I am not kidding myself, in my office where I work now, I am the only one with a PPC, everyone else has a Palm variation.

Not entirely sure what you mean about MSN=Hotmail=Domination, those things are nothing to do with .NET., J2EE or the price of tea in China. That is just a website and email that has very loose ties to a .NET login. That is like saying Internet Explorer is something to do with C++. It was written with it, but has nothing to do with the acceptance or lack of it within the market. Hotmail and MSN weren't even written using .NET technology, it was added to the front end of them later on, but the core is not .NET at all. I worked for the guy that was incharge of the creation of MSN for 2 years and if I remember Hotmail was purchased from another company.

Sorry, but .NET is not even in the same league for use in businesses as J2EE. Just the facts, read the Gartner Reports from June of this year. Very few companies actually use .NET for enterprise business apps. and several that started initiatives gave up because the technology is simply not mature enough and/or they don't want to be tied to a single vendor. J2EE has neither of those problems and is more accpeted for those reasons.

As for quoting Bill Gates - agreed, it was long ago, but it is a classic and exemplifies what Microsoft is. I have turned down job offers from Microsoft on two occasions. I have seen to much of the work from some of their 'top' Phd developers to get messed up in that headache. I worked for a company that was formed by several Microsoft ex programmers and management. They were leveraging code originally developed for the MSN web servers. This team bought the company I worked for and we were to trade technology in order to integrate our products. One of my guys got a copy of the C++ code from them and the team decided to play a joke on me and didn't tell me what it was they had me looking at. They asked me to go through some source code to see what I thought. My reaction had them rolling on the floor: "Is this a project by one of your kids? You should really offer to give him a hand." Of course, I turned around and played the same joke on all the other managers, each reacted pretty much the same way... Someone called it the 'Grade 6 programming project' and it stuck...it even slipped out in a conference call with Seattle once..hehe. Oddly enough, there was an unprecidented sell-off of shares that month [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As for recommending a database to the little guy with the parts shop? MySQL is free and will be more then powerful enough for his needs.

Oh, and to my website being frontpage...when I was working for the above company, that was what we used..for obvious reasons..and so you know, that was another piece of technology that Microsoft purchased from another company.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
Smokey [UPS]
Addict

...ask them why. Why are they using a Palm variation and I guarantee not one person says, "Duh, the Palm OS rocks."

Quote:
MSN is just another portal site loosing money.
Read your post before you go off and rant..it's losing BTW. ...and did that company you mentioned FORCE you into using a Hotmail accnt as well?

FYI...the majority of businesses out there, aren't enterprise level companies. They're the companies with 1 - 100 employees.

What exactly is the point of that whole story? Are you trying to say that C++ is a poor language? If so, I don't buy that for one moment. Java is extremely wordy, far more then it needs to be. Why would ya use it?

MySQL...yeah, I forgot how easy that is to setup.

So you're telling me they forced you to use Frontpage for your personal site, that btw is quite the eyesore? Come on man.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:13 AM   #8
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Microsoft looses money just about everywhere except OS and Office sales. Now they are forcing you to upgrade to the next office if you want to read any documents made with Office 2003 since it had DRM. Hopefully Intertrust will have won their injuction by then halting most of Microsoft product line. If you want to know why Intertrust is suing go look it up, I'll just say 400+ people lost their jobs because Microsoft stole instead of purchased like they should have.

Frontpage is the biggest piece of shit ever. It puts out inferior code that doesn't conform to any standards, because of Microsoft's embrace and extend philosophy. Dreamweavers another pos too. Learn PHP it's worth it.

About forcing you to do things, yes Microsoft does force you to do things. They force Windows on you when you buy a PC aka "The Microsoft Tax" I mean so me a decent x86 PC that comes without Windows, that I can buy from Dell or IBM or some other place.

As for mysql, I wouldn't use it in an enterprise enviroment, I'd use Oracle or PostgreSQL, but not MySQL.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:40 AM   #9
Vorax
Fanboy

Quote:
...ask them why. Why are they using a Palm variation and I guarantee not one person says, "Duh, the Palm OS rocks."
To each his own, PPC is better to me.

Quote:
Read your post before you go off and rant..it's losing BTW. ...and did that company you mentioned FORCE you into using a Hotmail accnt as well?
No, I have been using hotmail for my personal email for years. Nothing to do with the other company. I also use MSN messanger. I don't hate Microsoft, I don't fear it or idolize it either. I use what works and that is all.

Quote:
FYI...the majority of businesses out there, aren't enterprise level companies. They're the companies with 1 - 100 employees.
I know all about the business. The point of .NET is not for the small guys, it is intended to be an enterprise solution for large scale business applications and web sites. So I don't see your point here. .NET and J2EE are both overkill for most small businesses and probably just run their costs up.

Quote:
MySQL...yeah, I forgot how easy that is to setup.
Yup, its pretty easy to setup, follow the install and configure a couple of settings. Takes about a 30 mins to setup, around the same time as a base SQL Server (non-replicated of course). SQL Server is a great product and I recommend it to anyone seeking raw performance at a reletaviley cheap cost. I recommend MySQL for anyone with limited data needs and a small budget, not wanting to pay for support or licenses.

Quote:
What exactly is the point of that whole story? Are you trying to say that C++ is a poor language? If so, I don't buy that for one moment. Java is extremely wordy, far more then it needs to be. Why would ya use it?
My favorite programming language is C++ and I have been using it since 1987, but I am also a big fan of Java and have been using that since the beta of 96. I use both as necessary to get the job done. Java is no more wordy the C++. It is actually based on the same syntatcial structure. Its all in the APIs. Java is a little more forgiving, but C++ gives you access to the raw power of the hardware.

Quote:
So you're telling me they forced you to use Frontpage for your personal site, that btw is quite the eyesore? Come on man.
I never said that. I had the software installed on my computer so I used it. Why wouldn't I? Its fast and I had been using it for years, even before Microsoft purchased the company that made it. That site was made years ago and hasn't been updated since, and your right it is an eye sore. Between mapping, work and family, I really had not time to make it pretty and later realized I had no time for it at all...and thus its state of neglect.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue about with me, and I am not sure you know either.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:42 AM   #10
Assim
Fanatic

Assim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #11
Smokey [UPS]
Addict

...argue no, debate the initial topics you ranted about above, yes.

Debates lead to other items...so I took that path and followed them along. Just seems as though your point of view hops around alot.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #12
Vorax
Fanboy

My only point was that Microsoft is always trying to take over, but they never do and that it is my belief that there is nothing to worry about. Microsoft will not control TCP/IP or the internet.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:12 PM   #13
Zer0
Fanatic

They've succeeded in taking over things before however tcp/ip is a little bit too big for them.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #14
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Listen people .NET isn't going to dominate anywhere, it's Microsoft depdent, which Java is not. So programs which people will want it cross-platform, are not going to pick .NET right off the bat.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:47 AM   #15
Lithium
Experienced

I'm a .NET programmer and enjoy it...It is a lot more robust than the asp that I used to deal with. We are a pure Microsoft shop, hence the use of the various MS Technologies.

I also have an IPAQ and can't seem to find a real good use for it...besides pocket everquest =)
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote