Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 09-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
LEPrecon
Casual

Default monthly payments...

take a look for yourself Click here
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] did you guys know about this?
LEPrecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
zoso
Experienced

Default Re: monthly payments...

my opinion as i understand it which is probably not the best understanding in the world.

so.... hmmm the monthly subscribers will get the better deal.

say (hypothetically) that nothing gets released from 6 months to a year... those monthly subscribers are now paying for what? steam? which does what if nothing new is available for download? steam is not just a way to download content but it also allows the player to play mp over the net. now with that said i read somewhere that mp is free via steam over the net..

seems "iffy" to me. but i read on another site that even if you buy the product in it's retail form that has both sp and mp you don't have to pay a monthly fee nor do you have to pay to download any modification that is released by the mod community (if theorized mod is released through steam, which doesn't seem logical to me that it would be a mandatory thing for the modders.)

this is the somewhere i read all that stuff from (as i remember it):

http://halflife2.homelan.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5867&perpage=15 &pagenumber=1

seems to me that the monthly subscribers (from my little scenario here) get the shaft, so to speak.
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #3
BrushBaron
Level Designer

I would hope that modders get a cut of the pay if they can only distribute through steam! but that won't happen. Valve would have to go through Sierra every time they wanted a mod to make some money. Plus it limits the mods reach to various gaming communities.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Kalabalana
Veteran

yep, I didn't here about any package allowing for mods other then the steam monthly deal. If valve is pulling this shit, that you have to pay the monthly fee to play fan mods, I'm not going to be happy, and will gladly go warez, make sure no one I know buyys the game, look for the hacked version to play mods etc. But if they do the smart thing, and release a package just like the original half-lifes package where you get a cd key and can play whatever fan made mods you want, I'll be happy.

and yeah, any of the morons who want "to get the better deal" and subscribe to the monthly plan, don't. you're just going to get screwed out of a hell of a lot of money, unless you don't care about multi player games, and will only play these games for one month, and then never pay again.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Not only would people like you who play the games get pissed but the mod developers too. Trust me, Valve wouldn't do something this drastic to upset the mod developers. If they did, the mod devs would just move to another companies tools because it's so competitive and crowded out there.

The three mod community power houses are going to be DOOM3, HL2, and UT2k4 or whatever it ends up being.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
Ice_Commando
Experienced

Maybe i'm not paying enough attention to this, but I don't see what's wrong with valve's plan. You have the average consumer version with SP and no MP/mods, then there's the version we're all going to buy, which is SP/MP/Mod support, just like the original HL. Then there's the option to subscribe, you pay the 10 dollars a month and have access to all of valve's games-- they never said anything, but i'm guessing it includes the SP and mod support. So I can see why they say that's the best plan, atleast once they have some more games on the list.
Ice_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
Kalabalana
Veteran

in the first mention of the sku packages, there was no package offerred other then the subscription method that gave mod and multiplayer. I saw a new post today when someone like me emailed gabe trying to find out about a mod + mp + sp package (which was not mentioned un the original email) and the response from gabe is that there is a mod +mp + sp package to be available (thank god) and you will be able to upgrade you sp package (if you bought the sp only package) to play mods and mp.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:38 AM   #8
Automator
Veteran

I really dont care that valve is trying to pull this shit.
most of us wont even be affected by this. here:
Basic package (or sku): sp-only --> for the people who read the hype and want to check out the cool ass game but arent into multiplayer pc games or dont have adequate internet.
Full package: The one we will all get because it acts just as the origional hl.
Monthly package: all valve products including future releases --> whoever will beleave gabe and think its the better deal; or people that want to check out what the hype is about for $10 instead of $50 (or whatever price)

So its just valve trying ways to get mucho dinero without getting taxed by a publisher. I'm all for them but for my use, it's not the best package to buy. I will just by the full, then wait and buy cs2 when it comes out. I think i am right in the assumption that tf2 and cs2 are probably not close enough to save money by going monthly.
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:39 AM   #9
Conceal
Rookie

uh.......
what is "sku" meaning??
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
is it a abbreviation ?
Conceal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
ATimson
Experienced

Quote:
I would hope that modders get a cut of the pay if they can only distribute through steam! but that won't happen. Valve would have to go through Sierra every time they wanted a mod to make some money.
Actually, they wouldn't. Steam has nothing to do with Sierra; it's completely a Valve operation. (Nor are they necessarily beholden to Sierra; the standalone version of Day of Defeat, a Half-Life mod, was actually distributed by Activision.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
ATimson
Experienced

Quote:
uh.......
what is "sku" meaning??
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
is it a abbreviation ?
Yes, for "Stock-Keeping Unit" (or "Shelf-Keeping Unit", I forget which). Essentially it's a unique ID for each product, much like an ISBN number for a novel; if they change it, be it with content or packaging, it gets a new one.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #12
Riley_Pizt
Regular

The more people find out about Steam, the more they are going to hate it. The first time that Steam keeps users from playing a game which they purchased through it because the Steam authentication isn't working or because Valve decides to no longer offer that game or changes it to a version which the user doesn't like, then users will realize what a bad idea Steam is. With games purchased on physical media, the user can play the game conceivable in perpetuity. With games rented or purchased through a system like Steam, the user can only play them so long as the company offering it stays in business and keeps the authentication system functioning and the game available on it.

The other bad thing about Steam is once Valve gets it established, it will be very easy for it to move to a subscription-only plan of offering games and eschew outright purchase in any form altogether. Half-Life 2 may be sold via multiple formats, but if Steam takes off Half-Life 3 and the like will likely be available for rental only.
Riley_Pizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #13
Riley_Pizt
Regular

Default Valve is keeping mum on their plans for a reason.

Quote:
seems to me that the monthly subscribers (from my little scenario here) get the shaft, so to speak.
It would seem that way until you realize that Valve's plan is most likely to offer exclusive content to subscribers. If that plan succeeds expect future games from Valve to be rental only.

One other thing you guys are not considering is what if the ability to play mods is only available after online authentication has occured even if the mod is not multiplayer exclusive and could otherwise be played offline? That locks all mods into Steam even if they are not distributed exclusively through Steam.
Riley_Pizt is offline   Reply With Quote