Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 12-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Sp4wn3h
Casual

Default CSX

I finaly got CSX today from my local games shop, i got home put it in and started playing on radom map setting, aztec was the map, i took counter-terrorists, the minute i was deployed standing buying my guns i noticed something quite big the map was SO damn bright and the weapons were very blurred, going around the map it was the outside parts which were pretty bright indoor areas weren't so bad, i changed the brightness on my TV and it really didn't seem to have much of an effect on it at all, the weapons look pretty bad very blurred and quite a big loss of detail. Now this may just be me because ive been playing CS on the PC but when i look at UK reviews their screens look a hell of a lot better than mine does, there is also no opition in CSX to turn down the birghtness. In genral the game is actually really good fun i enjoy playing with the bots, its just the brightness crap i wondered if anyone else has this problem?

edit/ Theres no shiled in the game what so ever.
Sp4wn3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: CSX

its prolly your tv. monkey around with the brightness, gamma, contrast until u get it right.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Sp4wn3h
Casual

no its not, my other games are precfectly fine, i can't see the shield in single player so it must be in mp, but really the skin are no were near as good as the pc skins, why is this? there is still no reason for the skins to look so blurred.
Sp4wn3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Wolf8218
Veteran

because they had to make it run on an Xbox, which is basically a 3 year old computer with an advanced video card.
Wolf8218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
xile
Regular

Calling the xbox a 3 year old pc is like calling the ps2 a 3-4 year old computer. They arent.
xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #6
Wolf8218
Veteran

yes they are.
Xbox plays Rainbow Six with worse graphics than on the PC with slower frame rates. almost all the games you see that are coming out now look choppy on the Xbox.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:39 AM   #7
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Haha.

Yeah.

Right.

Lemme guess, you don't actually have an Xbox and just like to slam it.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:12 AM   #8
Automator
Veteran

wolf, have you seen the videos for halo2? looking good huh.
ofcourse they are 3-4 year old computers, thats how long they been out. However, If everyone had the same exact pc, our games would run better because they would be tailored for the specific specs and capabilities. I would have to say cs is a port though, so you cant really expect the best looks. Just my two cents.

I know along time ago i asked why csx had no split screen support, and someone from ritual (whom i've never heard from prior to, or since) explained to me that it would be almost a complete re-write of code, and, well, too much work for what they were trying to do basically. But it just recently came to my attention that half-life for the ps2 had split screen multiplayer that ran beautifully. i wonder whats the difference. Maybe gearbox put in the extra effort if it is that crazy to do, wish they would have put the effort for coop in halo pc (or lag and framerate issues for that matter).
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
Kalabalana
Veteran

well you have to remember that xbox games are played at very low resolutions with dedicated code paths for the xbox hardware which itself is a dedicated graphics computer.
It is essentially a 2-3 year old computer.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #10
BrushBaron
Level Designer

If CSX were to have split screen the levels would have to be far less complex than they are now and essentially look like shit. It's better to give the gamers great looking, functional environments over barren landscapes that will bore them to death.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:00 PM   #11
Automator
Veteran

cool, cool. just looking at the big picture while uninformed.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #12
zoso
Experienced

xbox was essentially a port from what we did on cs: cz pc version.

take into note that we started this port back in i'd say june (full crew on it at this time) then had to finish it on our end by august, september timeframe so microsoft could test it. split screen wouldn't have been able to get in the game in that short amount of time.

NTSC tv is 720x486 resolution. you have to remember that since cs is a pretty old game i wouldn't be surprised if most people played it at 1280x920 or even 1600x1200 resolution on their monitors. so by nature your monitor will have a shaper image than your television (from the way i understand it).

i can't fully recall so don't hold me to this: all the textures on the characters and the weapons are of half the resolution that they were in the pc title that we were creating. so 512x512 is now a 256x256, etc. this was done cause we were low on memory and hit our limits constantly. lower the texture res was one way we used to lower the memory usuage of the game.
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #13
Wolf8218
Veteran

actually no i dont have an xbox (why would i make fun of it if i had one? waste of money no?)
i have a friend that does, we have the same games (mostly) on a PS2.
there is little or no difference from the PS2 (233mhz) game
Old 12-08-2003, 10:19 PM   #14
StalkeR
Rookie

Quote:
because they had to make it run on an Xbox, which is basically a 3 year old computer with an advanced video card.
Because Halo looks so much better on a p4. Mine can't even add in Shadows and the Shiny shit.

PC ports to Console take a lot of skill and work
StalkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #15
Kalabalana
Veteran

rgr, stalker actually knows some basic rules of thumb.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 PM   #16
Wolf8218
Veteran

well, if your PC wasnt running a 5 Gig OS in the background then it would probably run a little faster.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:54 PM   #17
Automator
Veteran

Gearbox messed up the halo port. It's not like they have a good track record anyway, but halo is terrible. Rediculous framerates and unplayable on the net, hopefully the 1.03 patch released today fixed some problems.
I think they were pressured to release it on 9-30 to catch some of the would-be hl2 purchasers.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #18
Kalabalana
Veteran

Quote:
well, if your PC wasnt running a 5 Gig OS in the background then it would probably run a little faster.

hahaha, you made my day, I was having such a shitty day today (was at work) and that made me laugh. damn hahaa
Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #19
Wolf8218
Veteran

how could that make you laugh?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #20
Automator
Veteran

because it's funny
Old 12-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #21
gunfu
Rookie

The map is brighter than screenshots released by the press because of the dynamic gamma iris correction. This is a post-framebuffer hardware effect that happens *after* everything is rendered to the framebuffer. Xbox development kits (where press screenshots came from) copy from the framebuffer *before* the dynamic gamma is performed, so the screenshots always look darker and "flattened" across the color spectrum.

The player viewmodels, hud textures, and sprite textures were all decreased by a power of two to fit within the xbox memory footprint. This reduction happened after the CSX press beta went out -- press have 128mb debug versions of the xbox, so they got higher resolution textures. As we approached ship time, we had to decrease some textures to make sure some of the graphically larger levels (miami, havana, truth, etc) fit in memory, so the textures look blurry compared to the press screenshots.

Depending upon where you are looking, there is an additional blur effect (called high dynamic range filtering) performed on the framebuffer to simulate color oversaturation when looking at bright areas from dark areas. This effect is not on the PC version of the game (same with the dynamic iris compensation) and these two in conjunction will make the game look different from screenshots on the net, because the xbox hardware takes the screenshot before these effects are performed.

The ballistic shield is located under the "heavy" option in the buy menu (with the M249 and the shotguns). Bots do not buy the shield by default, but will pick it up if one is dropped near them.

Joe
gunfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:14 PM   #22
Automator
Veteran

You have a good explaination for everything, but it sounds kinda cheap. It seems like everyone who looks at screenshots on the net or in magazines will think csx will look different/better than it actually will on their xbox.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:43 PM   #23
gunfu
Rookie

Quote:
You have a good explaination for everything, but it sounds kinda cheap. It seems like everyone who looks at screenshots on the net or in magazines will think csx will look different/better than it actually will on their xbox.
Many people think it looks better with the added effects, otherwise they wouldn't be there. I don't know what to tell you; if you want it to look Just Like PC CS, play that. The world is harsh; buy a helmet. I'm just explaining exactly what the differences are.
gunfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #24
Automator
Veteran

I understand what your saying. I'm not blaming you for the way things are. And I definately don't expect cs to look like it does on my pc (forums give no reflection of tone, hard for me to express the way I reply). This is the first time I heard of the way screenshots are taken and bumped textures given to the press. That aspect of the way games are presented sounds shady. I'm just speaking generally.

Quote:
The world is harsh; buy a helmet.
nice