Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II

Old 08-10-2003, 05:38 AM   #1
West_Virginia_Mule

Default To Shadow or Not to Shadow

I just started playing EF2 and was tinkering around with the advanced graphical options. The detailed--ot pixled, they call them--shadows certainly have a different effect, one which sometimes greatly adds to the graphical presentation but also seems to distract on occasion. In any case, turning on detailed shadows really takes a performance hit on the game, even on a computer with decent horsepower.

What do you guys think? Anyone have these shadows turned on--and what do you think about how they look?
West_Virginia_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
Superrobster
Addict

Default Re: To Shadow or Not to Shadow

Do you mean 'stencil' shadows? I would have them on, as they look a lot more realistic, however my graphics card (nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600) doesn't render them correctly at some angles. Thus I have them off.

But I'd have them on if they would work. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Superrobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
West_Virginia_Mule

Yeah, "stencil" shadows. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

That's kind of the dilemma I've been into over the shadows; they look great trailing out from characters' bodies and stuff, but sometimes they don't appear quite right on their faces. I have a GF4Ti 4200...

West_Virginia_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:54 AM   #4
Guybrush
Experienced

I have the same problem with a radeon 9000 pro.
Maybe the stencil shadows just don't work unless your house is green or something...
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:59 AM   #5
Mr Jones
Experienced

same here [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
CyberGeek
Rookie

Those stencil shadows were implemented in the Quake III engine by John Carmack as an experiment. It was never really meant to be seriously used, just to toy around with. He was quite surprised when he found out that some people like to play with them on by default.

Since the implementation was only for experimental purposes, it's buggy. If you adjust your view so that a character is off-screen but his shadow isn't then the shadow will disappear. In QIII sometimes the shadows jump off in random directions, dunno if this happens in EFII, though.

These shadows are used in Doom III to achieve its spooky feeling. While implementing the shadows Carmack had to face the problems with them again. The disappearing-shadow thing is a problem in stencil shadows themselves. They wouldn't draw if a model wasn't visible. Carmack fixed the problem, the fix was named after him (Carmack's Reverse,) and Doom III will be nice and scary. However the fix was never implemented in the Quake III engine, so we get the buggy stuff in EFII ^_^. From some of the earlier screenshots you can see that Ritual was toying around with doing some fancy stuff with the shadows, but I guess they left it out of the full game.
CyberGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Yes, self-shadowing is an inherent flaw of the Quake III engine.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:31 PM   #8
KevinUK
Veteran

A nice history lesson there [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I turn them off as it annoys me when they dont look right [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
KevinUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

You know what's really cool, Id or perhaps John Carmack, designed Quake 3 to be somewhat reminicent of Linux. Like the console, it shares many of the same features as bash. There are config files, instead of using the registry, to store settings. Its a genius at work.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #10
WalkinBomb
Veteran

Just wondering, for EF1 does anyone know how to turn off shadows, considering there isn't an "advanced" graphics setting control area? Is there a console command? Thanks.
WalkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote