Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 08-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
ATimson
Experienced

Default To: Any Ritual team members Re: Thanks

I just wanted to thank you for the great job you did with your work on Condition Zero. You managed to translate the Counter-Strike experience into a single-player game in a much more effective manner than simply playing offline with bots. While perhaps a story arc spread over the missions would have been nice, not having such a thing is also keeping with the random nature of the online game, and thus understandable.

Anyways, I'm sorry you got screwed by Valve; the game deserved much better. Thanks again for making such a good game, and I look forward to whatever comes out of your pipeline next.

P.S. I only just now noticed the fine print in the background on the art for the CD case; now the title makes much more sense. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
Kalabalana
Veteran

Default Re: To: Any Ritual team members Re: Thanks

valve didn't screw ritual?
you DID play their game I do believe, (now how did that happen?) and they were also paid
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
ATimson
Experienced

I did play their game, yes. Eventually, seeing as how they didn't bother to include five or six of the missions in the initial release. And its installation has to be specifically chosen, rather than being a part of the default install. And they refer to it in a derogatory fashion ("Deleted Scenes").

So yes, Valve screwed Ritual. Yes, it could've been worse, but they also could've been much more... supportive, I guess is the word I'm looking for.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Thanks dude, we love the support, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You know, Valve could have called it "Steaming Pile of Poo" and offered a chance to uninstall it everytime you shoot an enemy but that means nothing because at the end of the day what matters is reading about how much you guys enjoyed it. Cheers!
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
Kalabalana
Veteran

screwed would be more like dropping gearbox, they had made games for valve before, and valve dropped them just like that, (they were still paid though) that's pretty close to being screwed.
The deleted scenes were fun, but they did not have that counter-strike feel, I'm surprised valve kept them at all, sometimes it's not about whether something is fun, but rather if it clicks into the image of the game

if your going to bitch at a company, don't play their game, very hypocritical
Old 08-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
Fobio
Casual

Valve didn't drop Gearbox, they left Valve on their ass.
Fobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

He's right... Gearbox chose on their own not to work on CS:CZ anymore.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
Kalabalana
Veteran

oh, gearbox are morons then, the only reason I know of them is because of what valve did for them
Old 09-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #9
ATimson
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalabalana:
oh, gearbox are morons then, the only reason I know of them is because of what valve did for them
Well, I also know them from their craptacular Halo port. (How a game originally developed for PC and then later transferred to Xbox--not all that different from a PC--died so spectacularly in the translation back to PC is beyond me.)
Old 09-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #10
Automator
Veteran

yeah man a true dissapointment. Microsoft really had alot to do with it though. They rushed development to release on what should've been half life 2's release date. The whole game felt like a beta. It still doesn't run that well on nice pc's and the net code is crap. Why they decided to go with server side netcode is beyond me. Yeah no hacks, but no gameplay either. They built a netcode for technology that is at least 5, if not 10 years away.

Anyway, I say that M$ is at fault also because of rushed development, but also because gearbox was constantly workin on patches after the release and microsoft tested them for months before they could be released. small (and i mean small) updates came in every couple months till finally gearbox talked them into releasing a whole seperate multiplayer game that didn't carry any of the warranty's microsoft had but was only compatible with halo cds and cd keys. It was a nice effort, performance boost and many needed changes, but nothing was going to save that netcode.

So there's the rundown for you guys, hope it wasn't too boring.
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #11
VonGoosewing

Hmm IMO, Gearbox would have probably made the best version of CZ (better than the current "default" version which is basically a stripped down version of what Gearbox promised). If they had actually been arsed to finish it, we would have had some great stuff (MSOTLY map specific skins, but also new game modes, new weapons).

I think Ritual made a Graphically superior game (Although the player models looked less life-like), but TBH, I thought that CZS was WAY too linear - every corner I walked around was like "bang bang bang".

You knew an enemy was waiting for you around EVERY corner, usually waiting to pounce from some annoying script; it made the game more like target practice than anything, and extremely repetitive (sorry). The level design would be perfectly fine for something like Time Crisis (with the "lightgun" on PSX) but it just wasn't fitting with CS.

Really, CZS should have been more reflective of CS gameplay - yes we did have defusing bombs and the odd hostage to rescue, but there were some ridiculous puzzles like "find the way into the next area" (motorcade and hankagai had some really illogical "puzzles" like this). There should have been MUCH fewer Ts, better AI and PROPER objectives to go to (the constant "emergencies" in DS sort of made the urgency... die); finally levels should have had multiple objectives to complete (not all necessary to complete the map), and numerous ways of completing them (see Raven Shield).
VonGoosewing is offline   Reply With Quote