Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Editing Forum

Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
skipper

Default bridge tutorials?

Hi ive tried mapping be for but couldnt get around it but now im trying again. I want to make Bridges and i would be greatfull if any body could give a tutorial on how to make bridges and view screen etc. I would be so greatfull if any body can make a tutorial or has any links on how to make a bridge thanks.
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Fvillha
Fanboy

Default Re: bridge tutorials?

Ship Tutorial for EF1 but useable for EF2 just need to learn enough EF2 to know the differences, but this will help with the thought process. Did you look at the list of tutorials already posted thru out this forum. Do a search for the word tutorials and try EF2 list of Tutorials
Fvillha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
M3rl1n
Veteran

Past what Fvillha has suggested my only suggestion is to learn the basics; once you know how to map youíll know how to create anything you want.

Mapping isnít too difficult once you put your mind to it.

This is one of the places I learned from when I started out:
http://www.planetquake.com/bubba/

Glad to see it's still around actually [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
Fvillha
Fanboy

Lot of it is finding where the tutorials are, reading (recommend hard coping some of the tutorial, and 3 ring binding them for quick reference), open Uber, try, cry, try again. Try the Room 101 first, best way to start and learn the basics, like figure out the scaling. Try to search the forums for specifics like how to make Meshes versus Brushes, ect... After a few tries if you cry to much, ask us here. Also recommend how to make prefabs, can save alot of building time. Sort of like cut and paste.

Between Babbus and Flix Tutorials and the Do and Don't you should be off to a good start.
Fvillha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
M3rl1n
Veteran

Yeah, prefabs are good time savers as long as you donít go overboard and use them sparingly. They can also give a uniform feel to your maps if you reuse them quite a bit - kind of like putting your stamp on it (and if theyíre high quality itís worth reusing them).

So far I havenít done much with prefabs just because I find - since Iím continuing to learn and build on my skills - my old work isnít worth transferring into a new map [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] by the time I clean it up I might as well start from scratch.

You should take a good amount of time on prefabs as well. If you donít have anything to map some night sit down and make up prefabs that are modularly, properly detailed, and easily textured and/or properly textured (aligned, scaled, etc).

Also make sure to build them in the xyz center of the map so when you load them up theyíre easy to find [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Detail objects like roadblocks, light posts, ladders, etc are good prefabs - basically anything you could spend a fare bit of time on and can be reused - if itís only going to take you a minute to whip it up in editor thereís no point in using a prefab.

Major map objects like walls I would avoid; since theyíre defining features of a map it can be repetitive to use them on more then one map unless they are directly related i.e. a series of maps.

/Edit - I don't know if this is covered elseware, but it's worth mentioning: always start a map by placing an info_player_start right in the center. For two reasons:

a.) the map will not load without a player_start and you might spend a couple hours pulling out hair before you figure out why [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b.) it allows for easy scale reference - a player start is the only thing I've ever used to guage the scale of a map/map objects
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote