Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default QotW: Favorite Single Player Level Ever

Another week, another question...

If you were asked to pick one single-player level from any game that you have ever played, what would it be and why?

Also, if you answer would spoil a part of the game for someone who has not played the game, please use the spoiler tag. For example:

"The final level from Halo, because the </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">six minute race for survival at the end added a sense of urgency to an otherwise methodically paced game.</span><font class="post">"

...or...

"The opening level of Star Trek: Elite Force II, because </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">it's just soooooooo fun to kick Borg ass.</span><font class="post"> [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]"
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: QotW: Favorite Single Player Level Ever

My all time favorite level would have to be "The Lighthouse" on Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. It had perfect level design I think because you traveled through caverns, ruined buildings, outside by the ocean and it </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> at the end of the mission, you could pull a really cool move on an enemy by pulling him off of the lighthouse and falls to his death </span><font class="post"> It was pimp.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
ran93r
Addict

Thinking back to recent history and pretty much every level of HL2 stands out on the impressive scale, if I had to pick one for entertainment value it would likely be the </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">abandoned coastal town level, simply because it looked excellent, crawling under the bridge was a pain in the ass but fighting up to the top of the tower was a blast</span><font class="post">.
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
M3rl1n
Veteran

If I was forced to pick I might go with the level in Dark Forces: Jedi Knight </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">where - after one of the Jedi Duals - you're stuck on a crashing ship and you have to make it to your ship before you hit gound.</span><font class="post"> It was well done, interesting, and if nothing else unique.

But for overall gaming goodness Iím going to (once again) reference Deus Ex - of all the games Iíve played it had the most consistently interesting, and 'replayble' levels in it.

The openness, the feel that they were bigger then they were, how they managed to convey the setting perfectly (even with the low detail environments of the time), the non-linear approach - all of it combined to make for some great sp gaming.
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Xenogenetic
Addict

My favorite level was in HL2 in the middle of ravenholm when you see Alyx and Dr. Kleiner dead, oops I mean </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Ravenholm was pretty fun but not as exciting as anticitzen one or the follow freeman levels. The AI was the best I have ever played against. To narrow it down, the library level when they have that huge cannon shooting down on you and you have to get into the library and kill all the combine, and to narrow it down even more, that room the combine lock you in and you hear them moving around outside and then the doors start to be cut open, that was awesome. </span><font class="post">
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
JimmyC
Experienced

Tough question. Picking one level out of all the great levels I've played in all the great games of the years.

I think I'd have to go with Pavlov's House in Call of Duty. There's actually 2 levels, but since they're both in the same location, I'll call it one. You start out slow with the sniper rifle. Then you run across the field with the bombers behind you. After that you find yourself in a pretty heavy firefight to enter the house. Once inside you go through the house room to room and get the layout down, but there's still enemies attacking you from all kinds of angles. Then all hell breaks loose and you're in a fight for your life as the Germans try to retake the house. A few times going through this I've caught myself forgetting to breather because it's such insane-out-of-control action. When you finish that level you really feel like you've accomplished something.

ps - no spoiler tags becasue even knowing what's coming doesn't change the experience.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
STATIC3D
Addict

Aw man, come on, just ONE?...lol.

Seriously thou, I kinda have to hit this question with the same sort of answer I did on the favorite weapon topic. It sort of depends on mood and/or execution of the level. Some close quarters combat levels are fun to play. On the other hand, some long distance levels are fun to play too. An example of this might be the difference between a Rainbow Six type of level and that of a Serious Sam level. Both of them do what they are "supposed" to do (entertain you with fun), but in different ways.

Also, there are different reasons for picking a level. Some of the reasons can be the beauty of the level, the type of puzzles/challenges the level offers, or, the gameplay/interactiveness of the level. It's gonna be hard to determine exactly "what" factor determines a level to be good if everyone lists a different level from a different game (each with different reasons). With that in mind, it becomes more difficult to determine what makes a game level a great/classic level.

And now, some games like Far Cry can offer a variety of gameplay with in a single level (both distant and close quarters combat). This makes it hard for one level from a game that offers a singular type of gameplay to be objectively considered by comparison. I guess it also depends on the type of gameplay offered. Mission based games, like the Rainbow Six or Half-Life type, require the player to comlpete certain objectives in order to advance and/or complete the level. On the other hand a game like Battlefield 1942 offers basically the same type of gameplay within the single player game as you find online/multiplayer. Sure, there is a type of mission (capture/hold the points), but, it's an overall battle more so than go from point A to point B found in the mission based games.

So many games basically offer hallway after hallway (coff DooM 3 coff). Too many games just offer the same "type" of level one after another. For example, Far Cry was a good game. But, it was usually jungle level after jungle level, not "too" much variation from one to another. Small vs Large, Stealth vs Run &amp; Gun, Puzzle vs Action, etc., etc., etc... In any case, the "it" factor for what makes a great single player level depends on a LOT of factors (not all of which fit into every level/game). Okay, so I'm probably stating the obvious here...lol.

Okay, so if I "HAD" to pick one single player level in a game that was my favorite, I would probably have to say one of the eather world (sp) levels from Clive Barker's Undying. They were not as lavish and lush as some newer levels, but, they were able to provide a sense of "woah/WTF?" as well as offer fun gameplay. You really felt like you were "somewhere else". Other games have had "off" levels too. But, they were odd just for the sake of being odd. The puzzles seemed to be a bit of an afterthought, or, didn't mesh 100% (at least to me).
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Filth
News Editor, Ritualistic.com

I can't put my finger on the reason why, but for whatever reason, E1M1 from DooM STILL rocks. I think it's just the simplicity of it, but yet it still has that certain tech-charm to it. Say what you will about TEH ROMERO, but the man knows his level design.
Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:36 AM   #9
Grandpapa
Fanatic

My favorite singleplay game (all levels [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) has been Gothic and Gothic II, yeah it's rpg. Reason to pick it up is, that it had a living world and lots of funny stuff, like sin had(the fun part).
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
SpaecKow
Content Editor, Ritualistic.com

Hmmm... probably too many to name, but I remember the Bridge area in HL2 making a particularly high impression on me, mainly from a visual perspective. it was just a really cool place to do battle in.
SpaecKow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
Tempest
Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Tempest

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Russell:
For example:

"The final level from Halo, because the </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">six minute race for survival at the end added a sense of urgency to an otherwise methodically paced game.</span><font class="post">"
I dislike that end map. It detract the gameplay value of the game as a whole, because the top of the ship </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> had a freaking skate park ontop! </span><font class="post">

Also one of my favourite levels, is the USS Dallas, in EF2. It had a great atmosphere, of a derelict ship, and the SFX from what appears to be the X-Files makes is quite scary.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote