Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 02-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default Preferred Install Type

PC titles are moving more and more to DVD media, which seems to be a good thing.

So if you had a choice (all other functionality being equal), which of the following two install types would you prefer:

1) Full HD Install. All media is copied to hard drive. Overall access speeds are excellent. However, you have a large chunk of your hard drive allocated to this game. DVD is still required for copy protection verification.

2) Minimum Install. Game installs executable and necessary support files (DirectX, et al.) only. All other media (except for mods) pulled from DVD. HD space used only for patches, save games and mods. Level loads and the like are 1-2 seconds slower.

Pick your poison...
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
7o'nine
Fanboy

Default Re: Preferred Install Type

I would choose 1, but mostly because I'm not quite sure if reading from the DVD so many times to load game content might increase the chances of the DVD getting scratched or something.
But if the risks to the DVD were the same as in 1, then I would definitely prefer saving some HD space [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

7o'nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
kevin442
Fanboy

I would also go with #1 as I have a 160GB Hard Drive so I don't really have to worry to much about how much space programs use. I also like to have everything installed because it's faster and the computer doesnt have to read off of the CD/DVD as much as if you were going to do a minimum install.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

I would probably pick the first option, although I would really like to see #2 being executed successfully (similar to what console games do - Halo 2 is my favorite example there because it doesn't have any load screens beyond that initial one).
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Xenogenetic
Addict

I choose number one also, that is why i have seven games installed and am using 70GB of my hard drive. BUT! you also have to consider hard drive speed, I have been blessed with fast and moderately quiet hard drives but if you want the super fast 100,000,000,001 RPM you have to sacrifice size.
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
ran93r
Addict

Full Install but with options to uninstall componants at a later date whilst leaving certain features playable.
For example, installed HL2, played through the SP 4 times, unlikely to do it again but would be happy to leave CS:S on the machine whilst removing the HL2 SP files. Same goes for tribes vengeance, would like to leave the MP playable and remove the bazillion gigs of SP data.
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Stylsy
I'm on offense!

Send a message via MSN to Stylsy Send a message via Skype™ to Stylsy

Definitley number one, as disk scratches etc makes disk reading get worse.

Not that I don't take good care of my disks mind you. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Stylsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
ATimson
Experienced

If I need the DVD in the drive anyways, I want to use as little hard drive space as possible. (But using hard drive space is preferred to disc swaps.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
warrior
Fanboy

Hard drive space has never been more plentiful. I say Full install is my preferred type. I don't like (this is mostly with applications not games) to go turn on a feature and then have to search for the disk. Then again, if the disk is required to play the game, then it's a moot point anyway.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
kevin442
Fanboy

I already casted my vote but here is an example of only installing half the content. Those of you who use Microsoft Works know that if you only install the core files, when you are making a document and you decide to add clip art, you have to put the disk in to get access to the clip art and I think thats annoying when you have to go and put the CD in unless you did the full install which would have all the clip art and other things on your hard drive without using the disk.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
7o'nine
Fanboy

But option 1 still uses the DVD for the disk check thing, so either way you still need the DVD in the drive.

7o'nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #12
kevin442
Fanboy

It doesn't need to check the disk as often as it does if you only install half of the content for the program so some people who have slower CDROM/DVDROM Drives can benefit from this.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 AM   #13
ninken
Fanboy

#1, I dont think they make anything lower than 80gb now. and only cheap computers dont have a DVD and those dont have Video card to run games. So I think is a Safe bet for DVD, and Full install
ninken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #14
Hubel
Experienced

Hard Drive Installations are much better for Speed and Modding.
Hubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
BrushBaron
Level Designer

With any game I play, I choose Full Install without a hesitation. Hard drive space is cheap these days and the game runs faster. Having any kind of delay in games takes me out of the zone.

-Reid
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #16
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Full hd install.
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #17
JimmyC
Experienced