Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default QotW: \"Word Of Mouth\"

It's Tuesday, and we've hit a few milestones with these QotW's. We've had one question ("The New Standard") get over 1,000 page views, and we've now received over 150 unique pieces of feedback.

So for this QotW, here's another two-parter:

What was the last gaming moment that you experienced that caused you to grab someone and tell them about it?

Conversely, what was the last gaming moment you experienced that caused you to grab someone and tell them never to buy this game because of moments like this?

Again, if the moment you are talking about could be considered a spoiler, please use the spoiler tags.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
JimmyC
Experienced

Default Re: QotW: \"Word Of Mouth\"

Last time I played a game that had some monent that I had to tell someone about it was probably in Doom 3 the first time and Imp dove through a doorway and proceeded to kick my ass. I don't remember anything previous to that scene where a monster moved like that in game. It was so unexpected I nearly wet myself. I immediately reloaded the game and had my wife come in and play through that part. When she gave me permission to use the computer again, I first e-mailed all my friends about how awesome the game was.

Another moment from that game was the first time I saw the light refracting in the windows and the heat effects. It didn't grab me at first the way the imp did, but I had to show the effects to a few of my friends with lesser video cards and get them to upgrade.

The last gaming moment that was so horrible that I had to tell people about it was with Half-Life 2. I was one of the unfortunate people who had bought a retail edition and it wouldn't run on my system. I spent ALL my free time for a week trying to figure out why the game would freeze at the loading screen. Looking all over the internet provided no help. Valve was completely silent on the matter. Vivendi wasn't answering e-mails and calls to their support line gave me the response, "That game's too new. We don't have any information why it's not working." and then they actually hung up on me before I could respoond. After 12 days Valve finally let word out that the problem with the retail edition was with the copy protection they used. I held onto the game for another week, hoping they would remedy the situation, or at least proimse to make good on the game. When there was no further information I returned that steaming pile of rubbish to Vivendi as their tech support told me there was no other way around it and they were not going to be working on a fix. To add insult to injury, the day after I sent the whole thing back to Vivendi, Valve removed the CD check for the game through Steam. Too little too late for me. I'll not buy another Valve game ever after that experience.

But you guys are probably looking for more of a design thing. I'd have to go with Unreal 2 for that one. That game was just a case of the developer lying through their teeth about what the game was. They claimed to have something like 30 levels, but didn't mention that 1/2 of these levels were nothing more than briefings where you wander around your ship talking to your crew. The gameplay was repetitive and easy - even on the harder skill levels. Level design was uninspired and often was one long hallway after another. And the game was short. I went through it in 6 hours, and I usually take my time going through a game. There was absolutely no reason to go through the game a second time. No hidden areas. No secrets. Nothing to explore. Nada. Since I was the unfortunate one of my friends to have picked that title up first, I warned them all to stay away from it until they saw it in action first. I don't think any of them bought it after I let them play it on my PC for a bit.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
kevin442
Fanboy

1. It would prolly have to be the game "Half Life 2" cuz of the physics and i would tell my friends how realistic it was.

2. Worst moment would prolly have to be Driver 3 cuz that game had so much hype to it but when it came out it was just crap. The controls suck and the physics are even worse. It made me wanna throw up.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
ran93r
Addict

I have sold about half a dozen people on WoW, even people like myself who were previously hardcore FPS players, now all of our lives are ruined, mwuhahaha.

As for turning people off... Recently :
Pariah - As despite the latest patch, still won't run on either of my systems which is a real damn shame as it looks pretty cool and I really haven't played a new shooter since WoW was released.
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
FliX
Fanboy

well the last time i was arguing with a friend, i told him CnC (Zero Hour) was the best MP-strategie game and he was trying to tell me Star Craft was the best game, we got into a real row [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

and the worst gaming experiance lately... um having Americas Army constantly crash on making me deinstall it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
FliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
STATIC3D
Addict

The last good gaming moment that I had to grab someone and tell them about was probably from Burnout 3: Takedown for the XBOX. The Road Rage mode of that game was BLAST to play. I like racing games, but, am not into those sim style tuner games where you have to tweak things to squeak out 2 more horse power. Being an older gamer with more Real Life (tm) responsabilities means I have less time to game. When I sit down to play a game, I want to have fun. The arcade action, ease of play and sheer fun factor offered by Burnout 3: Takedown did a great job of meeting my needs. The actual moment(s) of the game come from the Road Rage mode where you drive on a track racing (well, wrecking AND racing) 3 other opponents. Oh yeah, there's the little fact that these races occur on roads filled with regular traffic you can crash your opponents (or yourself) into.

There is one element of the Road Rage mode design that makes sure you ALWAYS have someone to mix it up with. If you get too far ahead of the other cars they are removed from behind you and spawned in front of you (far enough you don't see them "pop" in or anything). You are allowed to catch up to these cars and cause more carnage. If you get too far behind the other cars, they will slow down so that when you do get back up to speed you have more victims...um...opponents to wreck/race. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but, it really keeps the action/fun going. There's nothing quite like powersliding around a corner and using your boost (nitrous) to nudge an opponent's car, causing them to slam into the back of a bus at 150 mph. This game offers all the fun and speed of many "tuner" games without all of the associated hassle (and time needed) to buy parts and tweak things. BTW: If you haven't seen the footage from Burnout Revenge (the 4th game in the series), head over to http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/708/708572/vids_1.html and check out some of the videos. Don't forget to hit the "next page" button for more.

Hmmm...the last bad gaming moment that made me tell someone to never buy the game? That's a good question. There have been so many bad games come out recently. I am probably more apt to do this for a game that I was disappointed in than a game that was just bad. I am usually more disappointed if a sequal didn't meet certain expectations than if a new game comes out and is just not well designed/created. Sequals come with certain expectations due to what the original game offered. If the sequal does not properly fill some of those "certain things" expected from the title, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In other words, you ask yourself, how could they screw this up when the first game was good?

That being said, I would have to say the one game that lived up the least to the hype and previous incarnation(s) was DooM 3. For all of the great work put into the graphics of the game, there was just SO much more that could have been done in the gameplay dept. I understand they were trying to keep the gameplay a linear/simple "run and gun" style. However, in doing so, they basically ignored that the FPS market has moved beyond the small hallway after small hallway with limited numbers of enemies. I understand it was a design decision to create the game the way they did. But, after hearing everything about how "story" was going to be a big element of the game (including hiring a hollywood script writer for the game) I kept asking myself while playing the game "was this the best they could do?", "so, when is the 'story' going to break loose?" The story, what little of it there was, came off like a bad B grade movie.

There were just SO many elements of the game that made me question "why?" Why did they put so much effort into creating high detail geometry levels, then turn out the lights? Why did they put so much work into the graphics only to short change the gameplay and story elements? Why did they create the ability to teleport to H3LL but couldn't offer players the ability to hold a flashlight and gun at the same time (hehe)? I guess my only answer to as to why id missed the mark on these things, was due to them being a bit out of touch with where things have evolved in the FPS market outside of id. Looking at the other FPS games on the market (since Quake 3, or Team Arena, came out), shows how much variety can now be offered within the games. Serious Sam, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, Far Cry, etc., etc., etc.

There is a little litmus test I use to help determine how popular a game is. When going to game stores, I see how many used copies of a newer game are sitting on the shelf. If there are few to no used copies of a newer game that have been traded in for store credit, that usually indicates that it is a good game that people are still playing and don't want to let go of. If there are several to many copies, that usually means the game only offered a small "fix" of gameplay fun and/or that it was not a good game. I have to say that I was initially suprised by how many copies of DooM 3 I saw on the used market as quickly as I did. For a game that was being talked about as if it was the second coming in the graphics dept., something was apparently lacking elsewhere (i.e. the gameplay dept. where it really counts).

One last little down side to the whole DooM 3/id thing was that I rented the XBOX version of the game and found it to run better than the PC version. The sad part was that the XBOX specs are less than HALF of what my PC was, yet, the game ran AMAZINGLY better on that lower end hardware thanks to the great port work done by Vicarious Visions. If they could do it for the lower end XBOX hardware, surely id could have done it for the PC as well. This was one little area where I think id dropped the ball. Sure, they want to push the envelope of high end/high tech hardware. But, most (aka the majority) of gamers don't have that level of hardware. And, they don't want to play a virtual slideshow version of DooM 3 on their hardware that is more powerful than the hardware in an XBOX that runs the game VERY well.
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
CMB
Addict

Default Re: QotW: \"Word Of Mouth\" *DELETED*

Post deleted by badman
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Quote:
Originally posted by CMB:
Does it look like I have time to sit here and read a novel of your bullshit?
In defense of STATIC3D's essay-style answers, I'd rather have too much information than too little, especially when it comes to knowing the likes and dislikes of our audience.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
FliX
Fanboy

i have to agree on with static on most of the Doom3 stuff, it could have been so much better with the technology at hand...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
CMB
Addict

Static knows I'm just kidding. I really would come to his funeral if he died... Just to hit on his woman.

--------------------
I used to play Sin City at a 1:1 scale. [censored] mutants.
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #11
STATIC3D
Addict

CMB should know my wife already has better taste than to be interested in him. As usual, CMB just proves the that every forum must have that one "special" person. :}~~~
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
M3rl1n
Veteran

Pass on the word:
- consistent innovation to gameplay (i.e. not gimmicks), and solid/inventive use of graphics, physics, and/OR scripting.

“Prey” easily qualifies - the graphics, the invotions - they don’t look gimmicky but are solid parts of the game play. Things like that will make me pass on the word, and I would have done so if FliX hand’t beat me to it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Warn off:
- bugs, bugs, bugs - especially if I can’t move on in the game because of them.
- no innovation and/OR uninspired gameplay.

A good example of both those points being Pariah. I hate to speak negativity about any game, especially when I like the developer, but Pariah was a severe disappointment (but with that said I was still enjoying it, so don't let me scare you off if you haven't tried it yet).

If you’re going to rehash the “tried, tested and true” formulas make sure you do it well, and add something-something to it. Act of War is a good example of a game that doesn’t do anything really innovative but does what it does well, and adds a few unique aspects (that have a noticable effect on gameplay) that I don't recall seeing in games before.
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
FliX
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Russell:
What was the last gaming moment that you experienced that caused you to grab someone and tell them about it?

after seeing the pray video i think the first time walking up a wall will easily qualify for that!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #14
SuprTnr2
Casual

The last gaming moment/game that really made me get up and tell someone about it would have to be Rez for PS2/Dreamcast. While the graphics in the game completely sucked, it's all about the gameplay and sounds (Google for more info. Plus I am one of the lucky few who are able to say that they own a REAL copy of it for PS2, as it's still quite rare (Usually goes for over $100 on eBay).

One of the games that I absolutely thought were stinking pieces of garbage would have to be either Driver 3 or Daikatana, both games were super over-hyped, had horrible controls, grpahics, and physics. Now if those games had spent more time in testing they could've been great, but they were both rushed...
SuprTnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #15
FliX
Fanboy

lol, i had sooo forgotten about daikatana, that realy was a bad game... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

I figure I may as well participate in my own thread...

The last game that I was grabbing people, telling them to play it, was "Beyond Good & Evil." The entire game was immersive, the gameplay was addictive, you were never sent back very far when you died, there were tons of extras for those who wanted to search for it, the game controlled quite nicely (at least on the Xbox), and it ended quite decently while setting itself up for a sequel.

The last game that had me warning people off was "XIII." </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Nothing quite like getting to who is supposed to be the end boss and having "TO BE CONTINUED" be plastered on the screen...</span><font class="post"> I was really enjoying the game up to that point.

Back in Utah, a lot of people would come to my house to see the endings of games. (It's what Utahn's do for fun, I guess...) I had eleven people in my living room who watched me beat </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">the dude at the bottom of the missile silo,</span><font class="post"> and once we saw that ending, there was literally a rousing chorus of "What the f*ck?"

I own Daikatana, but I've never finished it, so I won't say anything about it one way or another until I do.