Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 07-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default PLEASE NO

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NONONOONNONONONONONONO MAKE YOUR OWN VERSION OF STEAM PLEASE I REALLY DON'T LIKE STEAM A LOT
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONOONNONONONONO

Haha spammer is a n00b
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Default Re: PLEASE NO

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenogenetic:
http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NONONOONNONONONONONONO MAKE YOUR OWN VERSION OF STEAM PLEASE I REALLY DON'T LIKE STEAM A LOT
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONOONNONONONONO

Haha spammer is a n00b
okay..
a sin2 type game with the hl 2 engine? SWEET

STEAM??

*BY ALL THE GODS IN THE HEAVENS WHY OH WHY OH WHY?? STEAM IS A CURSE APON HTE PLANET AND ALL LIFE EVERYWHERE! THE DEVELOPERS OF WHICH SHOULD BE DRUG OUT IN THE STREET, PISSED ON, SET ON FIRE, STEPPED ON, STABBED, DUNKED IN BOILING WATER, DROPPED FROM A VERY LARGE HEIGHT, AND SHOT REPEATADLY ON THEIR WAY TO THE GROUND!!!

oh yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck..

need i say that again?

YUCK.

TheDarthJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
BKxRizzo99
Fanboy

What don't you like about Steam?
BKxRizzo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Xenogenetic
Addict

Constant crashes, bugs, everything not working 100% of the time, stuff like that, oh wait another thing

VAC2 AND SUPRISE BANS FROM STEAM

Friends Network never up
Whenever I browse CS servers I get CS:S servers
Cant join a server by clicking on it anymore
And a lot of other things.

WON wasnt any better but maybe you could try and be like Bnet or something, that is a great online game playing service.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
BKxRizzo99
Fanboy

Other than the friends list issue, I haven't had any real problems with Steam. None of the people I know that use Steam have had any difficulties with it either and I know they're capable users.

Not to say that there aren't any legitimate problems with Steam, but I have trouble believing the majority of people's complaints aren't due to user error. * Not referring to you guys here.

Anyway, the positives to Steam far outweigh the negatives in my eyes and I'm really excited about this announcement.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
ep911
Rookie

rizzo lives!
good to hear from ya...i agree,steam works fine for me.
never had any problems.but as far as the friends list...i dont have any friends so i dont need it. =(
ep911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
BKxRizzo99
Fanboy

Bwaha! I'll live forever!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
warrior
Fanboy

Just think about the install base of steam. If I were Ritual I'd make this decision 1000x's over. It's a no brainer.

Mark my words, the first week of SiN Episodes.. I bet it out sells the original SiN. I could be way off, but this just seems like a win win situation for Ritual.

I'm looking forward to it. I already have steam installed on 3 systems @ home and 1 @ work.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #9
Xenogenetic
Addict

Fine, I just logged into steam, which I havent done for a while, and checked everything I complained about, seems Valve CAN fix things, make a SiN steam skin and everything will be perfect.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:17 AM   #10
thunder
Experienced

just enjoy the game, steam isn't the end of the world, i can only think the good people at ritual are shaking their heads at the anti-steam bias brewing up here.
thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #11
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenogenetic:
Fine, I just logged into steam, which I havent done for a while, and checked everything I complained about, seems Valve CAN fix things, make a SiN steam skin and everything will be perfect.

oh so?

is it actually working better now?
i got pissed at the many troubles of even getting to play the SINGLE player verision of HL when my network was down for a few days.. (couldent log into steam, couldent play a single player game.. boy that irks the heck outta me)

yes, it claimed it could do 'offline' mode, but i've never seen that work.. not once.

granted. i havent checked it in about a month..
*sigh*

its not that i'm NOT going to buy it.. its Ritual.. its SiN.. i know I will....

but..

im just not a fan of steam..
bad first impression i guess.
heh

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #12
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JezzyBall

I'm no blatant fan boy. Let's just get that outta the way. It's way too early and not enough information is out yet for me to go off the deep end.

I don't have any issues with steam. It works fine for me.

I do understand why a developer would want to use a delivery system as such.

I do have faith in Rit as a studio. They have always been more internested in communicating with thier fans and showing up to ask our thoughts. Don't expect them to leave financial decisions to us however. It's thier meal ticket in the end.

In the end, it will be about a good story, good art, and playability (Single AND MULTIPLAYER!) If those work. People will play.
JezzyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
noonah

They actually have improved Steam alot but it's still buggy as hell..

Now Ritual for heavens sake do not forget how the SiN gameplay was and make something totally new!
And if you want the game to live, you're gonna have to focus 98% on multiplayer/ctf than single player. Because in gaming today, it's a fact, Multiplayer games sell. Hell, if it works well we might actually see a new CPL game. And THATS free publishing for your game [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
noonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Originally posted by noonah:

Now Ritual for heavens sake do not forget how the SiN gameplay was and make something totally new!
And if you want the game to live, you're gonna have to focus 98% on multiplayer/ctf than single player. Because in gaming today, it's a fact, Multiplayer games sell. Hell, if it works well we might actually see a new CPL game. And THATS free publishing for your game [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's not just one problem, but I mention one: strafe jumps aren't possible in the "normal" Source Engine. It was one main gameplay features of SiN's very good multiplayer part.
DI_MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by noonah:

honestly, I PREFER a nice solid single player game, over multiplayer any day.

HL2.. I highly enjoyed.. will I ever play it multi? NO.
I do not like counterstrike, in any way,shape,or form...
Stick to a Strong singleplayer that was as fun and amusing as the original SiN...

but, I do agree that fun DM and CTF can make or break the game.
All I'd as there, as long as its like the original, I'm happy [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(spry 2! spry 2!!)

Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 AM   #16
sayNO2steam
Rookie

no in either scenarios!
neither steam from valve
neither a steam clone from ritual or any other developer

steam is wrong!
steam is bad for us pc gamers
yes its good for developers but they can't force changes
upon us only cause it benefits them
the benefits has to be mutual, for them and also for us
if they introduce a technology like steam that damages us
doesn't matter how good it is for them cause it simply can
not be applied!
we can't let abusive technologies like steam dominate the
pc game market!
we must fight to protect our own rights!
sayNO2steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #17
phxTOM
Rookie

Quote:
[b]honestly, I PREFER a nice solid single player game, over multiplayer any day.
hmm, i played single player maybe less than 10 hours and multplayer maybe less than 1000 hours (or maybe more) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
phxTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #18
RATBURN360
Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to RATBURN360

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Come on Ritual, just finish the whole game first! I refuse to call this game "SiN Episodes"... I want Sin 2 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
RATBURN360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #19
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sayNO2steam:
no in either scenarios!
neither steam from valve
neither a steam clone from ritual or any other developer

steam is wrong!
steam is bad for us pc gamers
yes its good for developers but they can't force changes
upon us only cause it benefits them
the benefits has to be mutual, for them and also for us
if they introduce a technology like steam that damages us
doesn't matter how good it is for them cause it simply can
not be applied!
we can't let abusive technologies like steam dominate the
pc game market!
we must fight to protect our own rights!
This is a load of hit and run trolling. Provide some basis and proof for these comments. There are NONE.

How can a vehicle that removes the middle and allows artists to get thier work directly to the people be bad? No more EA or Activision pusing for early releases, Sin wouldn't even get relased without this vehicle. Saying it doesn't benifit us is laughable. We get less edited content, titles and stories that may not be commercially viable for big studios (Think Independant Films)

How does Steam Abuse and Damage us?

Have you actually used it? Millions have never had issues. I acknowledge bugs, but bugs are in just about every freakin game out there and usually because some publisher pushed for an early release. I open steam get content play games and shut it down - NO ISSUES.

Your obviously and bandwagon bitcher without a solid reason....wait and see - when the product comes out. Then only one group gets the glory or the blame. Ritual.

I think they'd want it that way.

Go away troll.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #20
MysterD
Rookie

Well, here's what I don't like about Steam:
1.Background issues:

Steam will run in the background period (unless you turn it off via MSConfig) It's trying to be a RAM hog, but you can prevent that to an extent.

Steam will run in the background whenever you play HL2 (or any other Steam-based game). RAM hog.

2.Updating

Steam doesn't ask you if you want to update your game, it auto-updates on you w/out warning, often -- this is uncalled for, more so, on the SP portion of Half-Life 2. I shouldn't have to be forced to update HL2 for the SP product, if I want to or not. It should ASK me if I want to or not -- you should update, of course, but it sholdn't just do it for me suddenly. Single player portions of games should not make me deal w/ the Internet unless I so choose to -- hence the word Single in Single Player.

Now, on Multiplayer portions, the auto-updating makes more sense to me -- b/c for Multiplayer, you need a Net connection to play the game. Though, I should be warned that this game needs and update and then once I agree to it, the game will just do it.

3.What if Valve Closes?

Not going to happen soon, but just for the sake of argument, since that say might come some NUMEROUS years down the road say Valve closes their doors tomorrow for whatever reason -- they quit gaming, they lost $, whatever the reason is -- don't matter, all we know is Valve's gone.

Now, Half-Life 2 does work offline (for some). I've had it work offline, once my DSL connection to the Net's shut off. So, we're all set, there -- I think, unless some other issue arises.

What happens to all the Half-Life 2 players who want to play Half-Life 2 on MP? Steam is Valve's core, so what happens now? Will Steam be removed? Or will they release a patch so the MP portion of the game can run independantly of Steam? Or are we not stuck w/ a MP portion that won't work b/c Valve left the business?

MysterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #21
Sonic_Wang
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JezzyBall:
This is a load of hit and run trolling. Provide some basis and proof for these comments. There are NONE
Go away troll.
I reckon he's some arsehole from Vivendi! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sonic_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #22
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterD:
Well, here's what I don't like about Steam:
1.Background issues:

Steam will run in the background period (unless you turn it off via MSConfig) It's trying to be a RAM hog, but you can prevent that to an extent.

Steam will run in the background whenever you play HL2 (or any other Steam-based game). RAM hog.

2.Updating

Steam doesn't ask you if you want to update your game, it auto-updates on you w/out warning, often -- this is uncalled for, more so, on the SP portion of Half-Life 2. I shouldn't have to be forced to update HL2 for the SP product, if I want to or not. It should ASK me if I want to or not -- you should update, of course, but it sholdn't just do it for me suddenly. Single player portions of games should not make me deal w/ the Internet unless I so choose to -- hence the word Single in Single Player.

Now, on Multiplayer portions, the auto-updating makes more sense to me -- b/c for Multiplayer, you need a Net connection to play the game. Though, I should be warned that this game needs and update and then once I agree to it, the game will just do it.

3.What if Valve Closes?

Not going to happen soon, but just for the sake of argument, since that say might come some NUMEROUS years down the road say Valve closes their doors tomorrow for whatever reason -- they quit gaming, they lost $, whatever the reason is -- don't matter, all we know is Valve's gone.

Now, Half-Life 2 does work offline (for some). I've had it work offline, once my DSL connection to the Net's shut off. So, we're all set, there -- I think, unless some other issue arises.

What happens to all the Half-Life 2 players who want to play Half-Life 2 on MP? Steam is Valve's core, so what happens now? Will Steam be removed? Or will they release a patch so the MP portion of the game can run independantly of Steam? Or are we not stuck w/ a MP portion that won't work b/c Valve left the business?

I respect your opinion.

1. All you have to do is shut is down. You don't have to use ms config. (At least not on my system Xp Pro)

2. Ok. You don't like this, I do. I don't want to have to go to some DL site to register or pay to get patches. I Like it automatic and have no issues.

3. Ok. This is a little weak. Could happen....but I think these type of content delivery systems are here to stay and only get better by the day.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #23
sayNO2steam
Rookie

Originally posted by JezzyBall:

&gt; How can a vehicle that removes the middle and allows artists
&gt; to get thier work directly to the people be bad? No more EA

that vehicle is bad cause:
its closed and proprietary
its controlled by a single company
it kills pc games as physical packaged box products
it forces everyone, let me repeat everyone to take the same
route, to use the same vehicle and takes away all other choices
that vehicle is basically called MONOPOLY!

&gt; stories that may not be commercially viable for big studios
&gt; (Think Independant Films)

no, its not independent... its VALVE DEPENDENCY
you choose steam you became valve dependant!

&gt; Your obviously and bandwagon bitcher without a solid
&gt; reason....wait and see - when the product comes out. Then
&gt; only one group gets the glory or the blame. Ritual.

don't you see my only issue is not with the actual product
i own sin, i bought sin, i patched sin, i played sin!
i enjoyed sin so i love the idea of a sequel!
i want to buy and play a sin sequel!
my only problem is the distribution
my only complain is ritual abandoning the traditional way of
selling pc games and adopting the new intrusive and extremely
monopolistic thing called steam

&gt; I think they'd want it that way.

i'm a ritual customer
i bought and played ritual past pc games
i only came to this group showing my disappointment for ritual
choosing steam as the way to sell and make us play their games
so i'm only asking that the sin sequel will be sold the same
as the original sin
sayNO2steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:56 AM   #24
Grash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterD:2.Updating
...this is uncalled for, more so, on the SP portion of Half-Life 2.
The reason SP HL2 is updated so often becuase it is the core engine for Source. Thus an engine change is needed to CS:S or HL2DM, HL2 must also be changed as well.

Remember Valve is still using a smilar structure from HL1 where there's the Engine and then there are folders for each game and mod. When the engine needs to be updated, it registers in steam as updating HL2.
Grash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:13 AM   #25
Xenogenetic
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sayNO2steam:

...i only came to this group showing my disappointment for ritual
choosing steam as the way to sell and make us play their games...

Ritual is not making you play their game through steam, there is an option to buy it in stores but its so much easier to use steam. I used to hate steam but its been fixed up a lot lately and buying games through it is easier than the store. I don't see why you would want the actual box or physical CD if you can just download it. Steam lets you back up your games on a disc, and if your HD is destroyed and your CDs scratched all you have to do is download it again. Doesnt seem that hard or punishing to me, but then again I might just be a retard!