Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritualistic > News Comments

Old 06-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman
Default New LegionPharma Update

There's new stuff to be found on the LegionPharma website, including a new press release as well as newly added job openings. There's a puzzle hidden in all of this, so have at it and let us know what you come across.

Related, the last update has so far yielded the following keywords and rewards (all keywords must be typed into the box on this page):
<ul type="square">[*]genome - piece of music from the game[*]demosthenes - concept art showing a city[*]doom - email from a legionpharma employee detailing some of the behind the scenes happenings[*]money - short video of some of the Ritual guys dancing[/list]More is undoubtedly to come.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: New LegionPharma Update

Come on guys, we have a week, http://www.ritual.com/splash/
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JezzyBall

I think this confirms the annoncement to me!

We found what 14 7 means, thanks to the chemical guy Dno at a different forum.

Look at the periodic table :
14 = Si (silicium)
7 = N (nitrogen)

14 7 = SiN
JezzyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
STATIC3D
Addict

Seems as if a couple of people are not having as much fun with the puzzles.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/boa...threadid=58090

I mean, it seems as if the Sin 2 ARG thread http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11202&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder =asc&amp;start=0 has more dedication (and solutions) than even here on the Rit forum.

The little bits that have been pulled out (via puzzle solutions) have been some neat backstory/etc. But, the fact that the majority of puzzle solutions have come from ARG people rather than SiN game fans kinda makes me wonder if those desenting voices on the BluesNews forum don't have a point in reguards to effort vs payoff so far.
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by STATIC3D:
Seems as if a couple of people are not having as much fun with the puzzles.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/boa...threadid=58090

I mean, it seems as if the Sin 2 ARG thread http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11202&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder =asc&amp;start=0 has more dedication (and solutions) than even here on the Rit forum.

The little bits that have been pulled out (via puzzle solutions) have been some neat backstory/etc. But, the fact that the majority of puzzle solutions have come from ARG people rather than SiN game fans kinda makes me wonder if those desenting voices on the BluesNews forum don't have a point in reguards to effort vs payoff so far.
yea the ARG guys are scary in the ability to pull this stuff out of the small hints eh?
i've been following that main thread several times a day now.. rather amazing the stuff they figure out.

i'd be all over it too, but all that stuff is *WAY* beyond me.. I prefer to just spectate on this one [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
TheDarthJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

It's really not that difficult (although I admit that the last puzzle was quite a tricky one). There's actually an ARG tutorial on the Unfiction site as well, which I recommend checking out: http://www.unfiction.com/dev/tutorial/
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by badman:
It's really not that difficult (although I admit that the last puzzle was quite a tricky one). There's actually an ARG tutorial on the Unfiction site as well, which I recommend checking out: http://www.unfiction.com/dev/tutorial/
Ahem. Put up dood. Solve some thenMr. it's not that difficult really smarmy badman. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sheesh. My brain has almost popped on some of these....

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
STATIC3D
Addict

Sometimes the level of difficulty is indirectly proportional to the amount of time you have spend trying to do this sort of thing before. In other words, for those people that have not (or never) spent much time trying to solve puzzles of this type, it is going to be harder for them to "get it" with some of the clues given and methods required for their solution.

It would be like me sitting someone down in front of 3D Studio MAX and telling them if they can figure out how to work the program on their own they should be able to get something cool out of it. Okay, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you understand what I mean.

As I mentioned before, the people solving the puzzles (and/or majority of solutions) are not doing so here on the Ritualistic forum. There is a bit of a reson for that. While we here on the Rit forum are (SiN) game fans, we are not necessarily "puzzle solving" fans. Those solving the puzzles in the SiN 2 ARG thread (on the other forum) may be SiN fans, but, they may simply be ARG puzzle fans trying to solve a puzzle.

Even with those people that are into ARG puzzles working on the solutions, some of the "clues" have needed to be massaged a bit. If those used to (and that enjoy) solving puzzles of this type need some help along, then the people that are not into this type of puzzle solving don't have much of a chance in comparison.

Granted, if it's made too easy, the challenge vs payoff will not be proportionate. Those looking for a challenge are less likely to enjoy the challenge (if that's what they are looking for). On the other hand, if the puzzles are too difficult (or simply require a lot of time/effort to solve, especially for people that are not into them), then the payoff vs challenge will not be proportionate. In this case, people that find the puzzles too difficult (or lack a payoff they see as adequate to the work needed to solve the puzzle) are likely to give up on it.

It's a bit of a fine line balancing act that must be played. Do you want to "impress" those with puzzle solving skills by the complexity of puzzles you can throw at them (i.e. reward their cleverness)? Or, do you want to keep the fans of the property you are trying to promote interested (at the least thru the payoffs to the puzzles)?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
**DONOTDELETE**

Well yes, some puzzles are hard but if you would make them easier that wouldnt mean more people would have fun trying to solve them.
The guys used to do those puzzles would solve it all in one day and nobody would try to solve them after you got the reward allready.

Its not true that only ARG fans and not SiN fans are trying to solve all these.
If you look a little closer at that forum you will see that more than half of the posts are from people who joined that forum this or last week or who just post as guests. The thing is that the first puzzles where solved there, so people go and post there to see whats new. What's the problem with that?
**DONOTDELETE** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by STATIC3D:
**small book by static3d**

um. yea.
to sum that up.

Those Puzzles are Trickey!!

unstegging an image? man, thats stuff I dont even have a first clue on how to do (nor would of ever thought of!)

impressive puzzles. i like puzzles, but these are way beyond my level of knowledge.

apparently, they are not above a lot of the ARG guys.. i'm enjoying following their thread [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #11
STATIC3D
Addict

Okay Anonym (if that is your real name...lmao),

Granted, once it's solved, more people are not going to try and solve it. That's kind of like still looking for something that was missing after you already found it. However, the same thing is being done on the ARG thread. While there are 24 pages of posts consisting of 354 replies, the number of "views" DWARFS that number at 19063. Seems that while there is interest in solving the puzzles, there is more interest in actually SEEING something from the solved puzzles. Then again, that's just based upon the numbers (not much of a puzzle, but pretty obvious).

If easier puzzles being solved too quickly was a factor, then perhaps an easier puzzle per day type of thing could have been a solution. While easier and more solvable, the amount of interest would have remained as people would stick around due to each day's solution/payoff (even if the puzzles were easier). As it stands now, there is interest, but the puzzle solving has been left "to the pro's" so to speak.

I guess this kinda goes along the lines of how I was talking in a recent thread about PC game publishers/developers out-teching their audience. The hardcore members are usually up for pretty much anything. As such, they are often willing to put in the time/effort needed for such things (be it puzzles, upgrading/tweaking hardware/etc.). However, the majority of people/gamers are not hardcore. They simply like to play games and have fun. As such, they are often willing to let those hardcore members work on things and learn/benefit from them and their work.

This doesn't mean the majority of gamers are stupid or can't figure things out. Many times they just don't have the time to dedicate to this sort of stuff. As such, they would rather spend what time they do have dedicated to enjoying the things they are into/doing.

So, for example, if SiN 2 is something they are interested in (and assuming this is where the whole LegionPharma thing is leading), they are as likely as the hardcore people to be looking forward to the final result of all this. On the other hand, even thou they have an interest, if they are not able/capable of putting the time/effort into solving the puzzles, they are more likely to simply sit back and wait to see the answers/payoffs/results than to get involved.

By doing this, they actually have less involvment than if the puzzles were possibly easier, more frequent, more forthcoming, etc. Therefore, the majority of gamers right now are basically sitting on the side line watching the game rather than participating. Then again, I'm just basing this on the fact that there are 53+ times more views than posts in the ARG forum (where the actual puzzle solving is going on).
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

i posted twice in there..

mostly just offering whatever little tidbits of information i thought MIGHT be helpfull...

=/

i'm just no good at puzzles [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
doomdragon
Experienced

Yay! Something new:
http://www.legionpharma.com/about.ph...iliconNitrogen
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
doomdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
Xenogenetic
Addict

lol Steve's son is a bad artist lol
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #15
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

LOTS of new stuff at the ARG thread!!!!

Pages 25-27
Old 06-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

heh, thats not all

linked to page 24

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11202&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder =asc&amp;start=390

but go back to about 21... more than just that image..

quite a bit more
those guys are scary in their problem solving capabilities
Old 06-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #17
Onden
Regular

Mark my words, the evidence is adding up:

Sin II is really a kick ass remake of Sin
Onden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #18
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by Onden:
Mark my words, the evidence is adding up:

Sin II is really a kick ass remake of Sin
i think its just telling the backstory..

*WHY* would they waste their talents REMAKING a game they already made when they can make a NEW ONE thats better?? (and continues the story?!?)

i think your flat wrong [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #19
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDarthJedi:
i think its just telling the backstory..

*WHY* would they waste their talents REMAKING a game they already made when they can make a NEW ONE thats better?? (and continues the story?!?)

i think your flat wrong [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Certainly possible that I'm wrong. However, allow me to clear up that I don't think they'd just do Sin with new graphics. When I say remake I mean a retelling/reimagining of the story.

There's plenty of reasons why they'd want to do that. First I don't think Sin ever sold really well because of the bugs, so this is an opportunity to introduce the game as it should have been originally. Second, with a retelling of the story they can examine what worked and what didn't from the first game and make this one even better - like a second draft. Third, considering the events in Sin where would you really go with the story for a sequel? Sure Elexis escaped but her one and only plan was dashed. There's not much room for story other than she just comes back and tries to spread U4 again - if that would be the sequel you might as well do a retelling.

As far as Legion Pharma why go to all the trouble of introducing so much back story to the things that happened before Sin? If Sin II is truly a full sequel, then who cares, it's over and done with none of that stuff could have any bearing on Sin II's story. If Sin II was a sequel to the events in Sin it seems like it would make more sense to set up a puppet business that Elexis owns (in preperation of her second world domination attemp) or something like that.

However, the biggest thing as I mentioned above, is that I just don't see anywhere to go with the story as it was left in Sin. Either it'd be too different to really fit in the Sin universe, or it'd be way too close to the original story. You're sort of trapped by what was established by the original story. But I see tons of potential for a reimagining of Sin. They've got a core framework that they know works, but plenty of freedom to take it in new directions and make it different enough that it will still be fresh and exciting for those who played the original game.
Onden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #20
thunder
Experienced

that holds a lot of evidence to back it up...

and on another note, a remake would ALSO let the SIN franchise strta again, from the ground up. think about it, it starts with something like "Sin (reloaded)," and then another few years down the road, when it has an all new and improved fanbase, we'd be guarenteed a contuniation of the story from the franchise's new found commefcial success!
thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #21
ninken
Fanboy

http://www.sinclairetechnologies.com/ NO more Legion Pharma!
ninken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #22
TheDarthJedi
Levelord Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by ninken:
http://www.sinclairetechnologies.com/ NO more Legion Pharma!
Sinclaire technologies

AkA: SinTek.

ahh..
nice to see things come full circle, eh?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]