Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #226
KalZakath
Experienced

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Suggestion

Hehe, actually "unremarkable" is the opposite to what you actually mean (you mean "remarkable") [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Great points though - actions and consequences can add a huge amount to atmosphere and playability, but as you mentioned it's a difficult effect to create, especially between episodes. Mind you, there are multiple teams working on Sin:Episodes, so it could be more possible than we think [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess the big thing with these actions and consequences, is that they need to mean something, i.e. they need to affect the game in such a way that the player instantly knows (on their 2nd play) that they've chosen something different to their last play, and that it's made a difference either good or bad. If you wind up with lots of areas where you can choose different doors or corridors but they all lead the same place after just a few metres, the player either won't notice and take in the difference, or you'll just create a maze of corridors and rooms that could confuse or disorientate the player [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Impact is everything, I think [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
KalZakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #227
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to Kolonel_Klink Send a message via MSN to Kolonel_Klink

Quote:
Originally posted by KalZakath:
Hehe, actually "unremarkable" is the opposite to what you actually mean (you mean "remarkable") [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Oops, my bad. I think I'm just tired (quite late now and I just finished SiN for the second time about an hour ago :P) Thanks for correcting me.
Kolonel_Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #228
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

After playing and finishing HL2: Episode One I have only one suggestion.

Developer's Commentery Mode

I love the feature and hope to see more developers use it.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #229
Sharps97

That's a great idea. Commentary is always very interesting and kind of guarantees another spin through the game just for the commentary mode (much as I am doing w/ HL2 E1 right now).

Things I'd like to see in Sin Episode 2:
1. More banter (Blade, Jessica, JC)
2. More Blade speak through the game
3. Merge with most current Source code base:
3A. HDR
3B. Improved lighting engine
3C. Improved facial animation
3D. Improved character animations
4. Smarter friendly AI (see Alyx in HL2E1)
5. More creative puzzel solving, somewhat similar to the original Sin, this one seemed a bit linear without too much tracking through levels to figure out where to go. Again, also reference (HL2E1) although without a gravity gun, you might be limited. Not that I want a gravity gun, but more creativity in level design would be cool.
Sharps97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #230
BishopGantry
Regular

Emergence is great, a little short though but great it managed to catch alot of the spirit of the orginal Sin despite its shortness...

however some things feelt a little inadequate...

Blade talks way to little and the interaction with the JC and Jess was minmal...

I miss the armor system from old Sin where you could load up diffrent layers of armor...

a sub machine gun would have been nice for emergence its a pretty basic firearm and would have added some more variety to the weapons.

Id rather have seen the Magnum in either akimbo or with a suppresor than the DU alt fire.

Fists yeah I know Emergence has the gun whiping but its not really the same as knocking someone sensless with your fists alt being able to kick and headbutting [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #231
peppermintl2k5

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

Just another humble customer offering his feedback on finishing the game.

Had it since launch but was held up from playing due to work. Then HL2 ep 1 released so I played that first. Played Emergence immediately after and damn I enjoyed it. Only three weapons but they are among the most fun I've used in any shooter. So satisfyingly effective.

Challenging game even at default settings. Just adore the presentation and hammy action movie feel. Tits and exploding bodies from start to finish. Quality voice-work and soundtrack further compliments an awesome overall production. Emergence is just so satisfying and fun to play. I'm now a total fan and can't wait for the next installment.

Cheers, Ritual. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
peppermintl2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #232
ColonelJenkins

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestio

Just finished the game and what a game. I was deciding if to get the game at all, in the end I did and im glad I did.

Sure you only had three weapons, and sure there were times when I wished I had a grenade or two, and sure I missed blowing people away with my RPG, but it as still fun to play. I do however have a few minour suggestions:

1. As said by so many other people we need the idle banter between JC & Blade again.
2. You shouldn't have to press a button to hear what is said over your radio. (As side-stepping & shooting several people at once whilst reaching across to press another button is challengeing at the best of times.)
3. Would it hurt to put a note that you need to disable access to the internet to the game, otherwise you can't access the main menu somewhere else other than on the forums?
4. We definitely need to see more of Jessica.

That's all the suggestions i've got, at least for the moment anyway. Thanks for another fantasic game in the SiN universe Ritual. Hope to see Episode 2 real soon.
ColonelJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #233
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Suggestion: Mirrors and mirror-like effects. I know Source isn't capable of doing it, but I really would like to see some sort of reflection of characters on mirror-like surfaces. Even when playing HL2: Ep1 I got annoyed at looking at these mirrored surfaces which have absolutely no reflection of the world (looks like a world texture placed on it to give the impression that it's mirrored). It's not a big deal, but for a 'great gaming engine' you'd think mirrors would be a sinch.

As I said it's not important, but I would like to be able to see myself in the mirror Doom 3/Duke Nukem 3D style as well as everything else in the world.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #234
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

Source is capable of mirrors and such. But Valve stated that having the player see any reflection of Gordon Freeman would take the player out of the game. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Which is why Gordon never talks and why he has no hands while driving.

But after watching my girl (Bon) play I have another suggestion/ more feedback.
Blade seems to get stuck or hung up on every little thing. He gets stuck going through doors, gets caught walking across floors with lots of stuff on them. And can make for a frsutrating time.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #235
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

Quote:
Would it hurt to put a note that you need to disable access to the internet to the game, otherwise you can't access the main menu somewhere else other than on the forums?
Wha? Is that true?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #236
SkyBard
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to SkyBard Send a message via AIM to SkyBard Send a message via MSN to SkyBard Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBard

Quote:
Originally posted by ColonelJenkins:
, and sure there were times when I wished I had a grenade or two,
G button [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And I agree with the mirror comment. We need mirrors. I don't think it'd take you out of the game at all. I think it would add to the game because you'd see the determination in the hero's eyes. He knows what he has to do, and he knows he's the only hope.
SkyBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #237
PizzasRgooD
Regular

At least put mirrors in the car lol! There's 3 rear view mirrors and they don't work..

Anyway my suggestions:
Less enemies from ceilings please. It reminds me of doom3 and that's not a good thing. It's ok to do it but everytime I think I killed the last one, 2 more chaingunners drop down and shoot me in the ass.
When entering the car, the controls only show up for a split second. Hence I was fooling around in the backseat not having a clue what the hell was happening.
When enemies throw stuff at you, you can't stop it. I always shoot the barrel (or whatever object) in a reflex and it would be cool if that worked.
More talk and more elexis talk [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
More music, I just played the original sin and it kicked ass because the music was so cool and kept me pumped.
When reloading the pistol, let me see something!! The other guns are a lot bigger but don't take up the entire screen when reloading.
When I see locks I expect to be able to knock them open.
I want to throw chairs out of windows. It works in hollywood but in sin I have to break the window first.
Please make the phonecalls louder, I could only make out 2 or 3... and why are all the phone numbers so far away from the phones? I'm not gonna try to remember them for more than a minute.. (also they weren't funny really..)
Make the hardcorps chopper cool [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
The supremacy tower... as seen from the construction yard? 13 stories high? I have a treehouse bigger than that. Not very impressive [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
PizzasRgooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #238
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by PizzasRgooD:
When enemies throw stuff at you, you can't stop it. I always shoot the barrel (or whatever object) in a reflex and it would be cool if that worked.
You can stop objects in mid air, but you have to 'catch' them with your invisible hands. It takes a lot of practice, but you can literally 'catch' objects as they're flying at you and either throw it back or drop it and start blasting the crap out of the enemies.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 AM   #239
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by PizzasRgooD:
At least put mirrors in the car lol! There's 3 rear view mirrors and they don't work..

Anyway my suggestions:
Less enemies from ceilings please. It reminds me of doom3 and that's not a good thing. It's ok to do it but everytime I think I killed the last one, 2 more chaingunners drop down and shoot me in the ass.
When entering the car, the controls only show up for a split second. Hence I was fooling around in the backseat not having a clue what the hell was happening.
More talk and more elexis talk [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
More music, I just played the original sin and it kicked ass because the music was so cool and kept me pumped.
When reloading the pistol, let me see something!! The other guns are a lot bigger but don't take up the entire screen when reloading.
When I see locks I expect to be able to knock them open.
I want to throw chairs out of windows. It works in hollywood but in sin I have to break the window first.
Please make the phonecalls louder, I could only make out 2 or 3... and why are all the phone numbers so far away from the phones? I'm not gonna try to remember them for more than a minute.. (also they weren't funny really..)
Make the hardcorps chopper cool [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
The supremacy tower... as seen from the construction yard? 13 stories high? I have a treehouse bigger than that. Not very impressive [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Seing enemies appear from nowhere infrotn of your crosshair took away alot of the immersion of being in the game...
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #240
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

Quote:
and why are all the phone numbers so far away from the phones? I'm not gonna try to remember them for more than a minute
They did it because it would be pointless and extremely easy to put all phone numbers directly next to phones... plus, there ARE numbers next to most phones.

Quote:
13 stories high?
Which conflicts with the elevator inside... which claims 25 floors [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #241
SkyBard
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to SkyBard Send a message via AIM to SkyBard Send a message via MSN to SkyBard Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBard

I just wrote down all the phone numbers and called them after I had beaten the game and was on playthrough 2.
And try looking across the city when you're on the tiers of the Tower. That view is much higher than 13 stories.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #242
PizzasRgooD
Regular

I know, I'm talking about the tower you see from the construction yard, you can count the windows and it's about 13 stories high.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #243
SkyBard
Experienced

I wasn't too clear with my post [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
While if you count the windows, there are indeed 3 stories on the outside (unless they have one huge window per 2 levels so the floor would be the middle horizontal plane of the window, but that should be shown when inside as well,) if you're on the tiers, it looks much higher than 13... or even 25+.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #244
Morry
Casual

Hi,

I just finished playing Emergence so I thought I would jump on these forums and give my opinions.

First of all. The game was great! I had a blast playing through every level and the action was some of the best I have experienced out of FPS games.

It was good to see Source used in another professional FPS game and the results were fine for me. Characters, prefabs and models were done very well. If anything they seemed a little too "clean". I feel the environments could have been a bit more gritty in parts like the sewers and the construction site was a bit too organised. On the other hand, I enjoyed most of the interiors, designed with a futuristic look. The most impressive view was of the harbour vista from the building ledges. I haven't seen Source used to create such a view in any game yet. Your artists deserve my regards for that.

Combat in the game felt powerful. I loved the kickback of the pistol, giving it a real lethal feel, combined with the glorified violence of a headshot. I didn't use the DUAG during play, though, as I felt it did not serve any useful purpose when headshots were more effective. The shotgun was well designed too, being a powerful close combat weapon. Rebounding shells was also quite a cool and fun feature too.

The enemies were varied and had their own strengths and weaknesses. I especially liked the chaingunners, they were annoying but a necessary compliment for the standard grunts.
Another great feature was the use of "boss fights". Not only where the bosses relevant but they were fairly realistic in the amount of damage they could take and the circumstances of the battles.

Overall, I congratulate Ritual on developing a top notch game. Like I said to Valve, I am in full support of episodic development as it seems that it produces a game of higher quality than what we have come to expect from standard FPS games.

Great work on Emergence and I look forward to future episodes.

PS. And yes, I would like to hear some Blade. I missed his attitude.

Update: (Suggestions)
- I would like to see the context look comments come up automatically rather than activating them.
- Possibly add some sort of thermal view for the DUAG shot to make it more useful
- Readable newspaper bulletins or more comments from JC and Jessica
- I have no complaints about length, it felt like an episode
- Story was fast in this episode, so I would like to have some quiet moments to show Freeport, what has happened since Sin etc.
- Melee range could be improved to make it easier to smash those boxes
- Louder phone calls
- Cutscenes to show events happening in other places
- More console interaction
- Elexis could be sexier, work on a more seductive persona and a more evil laugh [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #245
ZeroDown

After beating the game, I was a bit dissapointed. It's good, but doesn't feel like Sin. Seems to me like another HL2 Part or something like that. So, what I would like to see in Epsiode 2 is:
- The same level of Interaction between Blade and JC, or with his environment ("I know you smell Blade, but there's no time now for a shower"....)
- Zaks music should be played constantly, not that HL-style. It's Sin! All that great tunes like mansion levels or missile silo.
- why such typical HL2-Levels? Where are those great ideas like missile silo, xenomorphic labs, mansion...? None of the Emergence levels gave me that Sin feeling.
- more cutscenes for storytelling like....well in Sin.

So hopefully Episode 2 will be more like the original Sin. We waited so long for a good sequel and weill, Sin deserves it.
ZeroDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #246
PizzasRgooD
Regular

One more suggestion from me:
more polygons in jessica's hair (the tails) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. It looks stupid now but the actual haircut doesn't (as seen on cindy !)
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #247
Lethos

I love the game in general but of cource there are some things that i would like to see in episode two.
So my suggestions are:
1. More weapos. Things such as a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher are very important, espetially when you have such things as helicopters.
2. More "chit-chat". Conversation is very important. It helps the player to understand the storyline better and it just brings a bit more life to the game [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
3. Violence. The game was rated 17+ due to the extreme violence but i didnt really see any extreeme violence exept for the headshots. The effect of shooting the enemy in the leg takes the needed effect only 1 out of 3 or 5 times. Needs a bit of work.
4. Co-operation with the characers. A bit more meeting with the members of the team and some more team work would be great but it wasnt a major lack in the game.
5. The big fat monster was something that shouldn't have been there. It didnt make sence really... And some more monsters in general would be good.
6. Change of locations. There were three or four main locations and i would really like to see some more. So it would seem like a journey not like a single operation.
7. More emotions and facial expressions for the characters. As i already said it will bring more life to the game.
8. The showdown. I Like it in general because it made me think a bit about how to defeat the BFM (Big Fat Monster) but i would like to see some more space to moove in episode 2.
9. The secrets. I think that the secrets are a bit two easy to find. Bit more puzle there would be better
10. The fish. The secret fish that you can find in some water environment parts are completely useless, pointless and confusing. The first thing i thought when i've seen it was WTF?!

I will post more suggestions if i have'em but in general keep up the good work! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P. S. Dont mind the spelling please!
Lethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #248
Lethos

OH! And one more thing! I really didnt like Jessica being so bossy!!!
Lethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #249
Odin

Well, I just finished Emergence and was crusing around the Web and found this nifty little board, so hello all. Overall, I had only minimal complaints.

Firstly, I played the original SiN before playing Emergence so I could get a grip on the story, but the changes between the two threw me off. Most notably, Blade's personality!!! My favorite line in the first SiN was "225 pounds of kickass comin' your way!" But Blade became reminicent of Charlie Chaplin in Emergence! We NEED the 225 lbs of kickass!

Also, the game felt way too linear. The objective screen from the first SiN never made it to Emergence because all you had to do was keep going forward and you'd find the thing you had to kill. There were no alternate routes, no deviation. And while it's not a completely bad thing, it really makes the player feel trapped inside the game.

My next suggestion would be to incorporate some sort of evasion-style movement. It's been a while since I've played a game where you can stand face to face with a chaingun and still walk away with most of your health. It just didn't feel realistic.

And lastly was the mutagenic gas!! I hated that stuff!!! While I understand that the point is to increase reaction time, I often fared better against the AI if I forewent the gas. While I was glad that the world around me slowed, Blade slowed down as well, meaning that when I tried to blow an enemy away who was standing inches in front of me, the actual shot was several seconds delayed from when I clicked my mouse. Overall, it just felt like more of a hinderance than a help.

Like I said, only minimal complaints, but ones severe enough that I feel they need addressing (especially Blade's personality). Other than that, i think the game was very well crafted, and it's apparent that a lot of hard work went into this game. Kudos!!

(I also think that multiple endings to the Season, might be appropriate...for those of us who would rather join Elexis than fight her [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 AM   #250
PizzasRgooD
Regular

I just played HL episode 1 ... I didn't really like it that much but it has a lot more ambition than sin. Ritual needs to see things BIGGER [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]