Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 06-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #276
JoelF
Veteran

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestio

I think it's funny that we're comparing apples and oranges, on a certain level (i.e. SiN 1 versus Emergence). They really are two different games... I'd forgotten how much I loved the original (I lost my copy years ago [sad.]), and after busting out the Steam version today, I remember why it holds a special place in my heart.

It's like the action flick of shooters. Not like Doom, when you're just killing random things (although that's still great fun in it's own right), but the fact that the story can be campy and the one-liners hilarious and corny, and the bad guys yell hilarious stuff at you, and the easter eggs, and...

I could go on for awhile.

It's just great fun. To those of you that haven't played it (or have and feel that Emergence was a letdown), well... I think we're really contrasting something that's of course changed in vision over six to eight years (including dev. time?), give or take a few.

Heck, look at how much Quake has changed. It's still a solid game... it's just very, very different, in my opinion. Having differences is cool. Diversity anyone? =)
JoelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #277
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelF:
I think it's funny that we're comparing apples and oranges, on a certain level (i.e. SiN 1 versus Emergence). They really are two different games... I'd forgotten how much I loved the original (I lost my copy years ago [sad.]), and after busting out the Steam version today, I remember why it holds a special place in my heart.

It's like the action flick of shooters. Not like Doom, when you're just killing random things (although that's still great fun in it's own right), but the fact that the story can be campy and the one-liners hilarious and corny, and the bad guys yell hilarious stuff at you, and the easter eggs, and...

I could go on for awhile.

It's just great fun. To those of you that haven't played it (or have and feel that Emergence was a letdown), well... I think we're really contrasting something that's of course changed in vision over six to eight years (including dev. time?), give or take a few.

Heck, look at how much Quake has changed. It's still a solid game... it's just very, very different, in my opinion. Having differences is cool. Diversity anyone? =)
ID ruined the Quake series after Quake3 same with the Doom series after Doom3...
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #278
JoelF
Veteran

Well, they totally changed it. They might as well have made them under a different name, but I think franchise recognition probably had something to do with it. Same with Emergence. I think it's smart, from a business and possibly artistic point of view. Why create a whole new world when you can just base upon the one you have?

It is cheaper and sometimes requires less effort... but as you said, there are pitfalls like 'reinventing' a series.

And I agree with you... Doom 3 was a major letdown. I think Quake III was just in response to Unreal Tournament. Or did UT come first? I can't remember.

Anyways. It boils down to brand recognition! (How many of us would've heard about or paid attention to Emergence had it not been an extension of the SiN universe? [That's a hypothetical, but meh].)

Edit: This is off-topic... but I'm going to throw the gauntlet down and say that Beyond Good and Evil was the best damn game translation effort out there. It had native language support and artwork for different regions and languages! That's hard to top...

Plus, it was a really entertaining game... the kind of game I can play as 18, could've played as 6, 7, or even 37, and would probably have loved it just as much.

That was really out of nowhere, but I felt like saying it. As hard as it is to manage (I'm guessing dev time focuses more on the sheer amount of playtesting / quality control and such), I can sympathize with those of you that are asking for subtitles and/or language translations.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #279
Morry
Casual

What Ritual has to achieve is to provide a fun game along the lines of SiN, but with enough substance for it to have an entertaining storyline. It wouldn't work for them to try and rival HL2, but they can follow on from what made Sin memorable.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #280
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to Kolonel_Klink Send a message via MSN to Kolonel_Klink

The more I play Emergence the more I realise how similar it is to HL2 (to a certain degree). I understand that it is the same engine, but look at SiN1 to Quake II. Same engines, two completely different looking games.

I think Ritual needs to make it clear that it's SiN Episodes, not SiN Episodes: A Half-Life 2 Modification.
Kolonel_Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #281
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

I never thought the game looked like HL2. Sure, it's obvious that it's the same engine, but all the textures are Rituals, so I don't think they look too similar. I think that Q4 looks much more like Doom 3 than Emergence does to Hl2. So, I guess that's something.
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #282
Aasyranth
Rookie

The main shutdown area for me was the crate yard. More healing gas canisters/stations are needed in that area and in the tower. I know that they wouldn't seem appropriate in some areas, but realism's gotta be sacrificed for the sake of fun.
Aasyranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #283
JoelF
Veteran

Just some more random bits of feedback from me.

I didn't like the part </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">where the U4 lab begins to blow, with all the mutants and such</span><font class="post">. I felt like it'd been done before, and it wasn't really that special to me. I level jump it on each playthrough now, usually.

I am appreciating the challenge system on a whole new level now! It gives me more respect for the game too, since I have even more of a reason to replay it! I think the game got marked down unfairly by some who didn't really give it time to sink in. I was split on whether I'd buy the next episode of wait for a collection of sorts, but now I think I'll buy it on that merit alone. And, of course, new content.

The community support and interaction is pretty damn amazing. I haven't seen developers do anything like this before, though admittedly, I haven't looked.

Arena mode! I await thee with great anticipation!

I really like the concept of having a backwards compatible scaling solution, as I read in an interview somewhere. Iron out the glitches and refine stuff as you go! Seems like a great way to buff up the episodic content.

I understand this is new territory Ritual's forging, and I think everyone should be somewhat forgiving for that. The game they've made is entertaining and has a lot of replayability. I don't have HL2: Episode One, but I can't see that as a game I'd be willing to play through again and again, as good as it may be. (Yeah, I don't own HL2 either, so I'm biased, but hey. I'll get around to it eventually.)
Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #284
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelF:
I don't have HL2: Episode One, but I can't see that as a game I'd be willing to play through again and again, as good as it may be. (Yeah, I don't own HL2 either, so I'm biased, but hey. I'll get around to it eventually.)
You've got that right. I've played HL2:Ep1 once, tried to play it again and got severely bored. In that respect, HL2:Ep1's $20 price was a bit much, considering that for original HL2 players all you're getting extra is HL: Deathmatch Source.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #285
lokidoki
Regular

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

ok ok i haven't read all the stuff yet, but some suggestions:
- Add chapter names right after the chapter loads and have the option of starting from any chapter (like in half-life 2).
- ARMOR!!!
- Taunts - taunts are very very very important
- Where are My FISTS????
lokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #286
Morry
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolonel_Klink
You've got that right. I've played HL2:Ep1 once, tried to play it again and got severely bored. In that respect, HL2:Ep1's $20 price was a bit much, considering that for original HL2 players all you're getting extra is HL: Deathmatch Source.
But playing it with commentary doubles the playtime. It was quite interesting to hear all the design choices that they made.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #287
sebastiannielsen

I really miss the computer hacking in sin ep.1: Emergence.

Why not some windows XP screens. And with real WinXP logon screens. And some of these computers can have guest accounts with no password, and some accounts with bad passwords, and you have to "hack" into the computer and control things.

I have readed some suggestions about shooting off padlocks on the lockers. I dont think thats possibly in real life, which means that the game will be less realistic.

Make the codelocks "accessible". Aiming at a codelock and pressing use, can pop up the codelock on screen and let the player enter a code.
On correct code, let the door unlock, and the red light turn into green. If door is already green, turn it into red, and lock.

And codelocks at many of the elevators can be accessible too.

A codelock which the player is supposed not to be able to open, can be made in a way so all codes are simply incorrect.

The codelocks which you place some sort of flashing mine on so your friend can hack the codelock, can be made accessible too. Your friend can read number sequences that you need to enter into the codelock so the friend can succeed. And when you remove the mine the friend can say this: "Now when you have removed the <what the mine is called> enter this eight digit code to open: ########"

Last edited by sebastiannielsen : 06-27-2006 at 04:40 AM.
sebastiannielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #288
markc
Rookie

Lightbulb Suggestions for the next episode?

(EDIT: Is there a feedback thread somewhere? Admins, feel free to move this if necessary)

Hey, after they fixed my crash bug with the recent patch, I played STRAIGHT THROUGH the night until first light. Man, I had a lot of fun. I'm such a headshot fetishist it's ridiculous, but this game -- this game was totally made for me. Man, headshots are just so gratifying, especially with that magnum. Kudos to whoever programmed in those headshot dynamics. It's like dropping a canteloupe from a skyscraper, oooh, tasty!

Anyways, I've always had a longtime obssession with game design, long before I got sidetracked into the visual effects industry, and I'd been programming my own games, and making my own mods for 3D shooters (I'm probably the only guy with 6 years of Quake-C experience, before upgrading to Visual C++ and making HL2 and DOOM3 mods ha ha!), and I bet all of you have a hidden wish to be game developers in your hearts. There are things I'd love to see in Sin, and I really like the universe that's been created, so, here are some suggestions that I hope will go along. Feel free to add to them!

-Drive by shootin'. Yunno, I REALLY wanted to be able to shoot from the passenger seat when Jessica (I call her Lucy) Cannon was driving. After all, that's why it's called the SHOTGUN seat, right? Anyways, it's a futuristic attack car, so why not have windows that snap open and shut REALLY fast. Not some slow whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr type windows. Basically, when you're in the shotgun seat, you hold down the space bar to retract the window and stick your upper torso out, ready to shoot. When you release the space bar, you pop back inside, and the window slams shut so you can reload safely. Maybe it's a metal shutter.

It could make for some interesting chase scenes -- having to aim for a car's tires, or strategically place a grenade to knock a bunch of chaingunners off the bed of a pickup... Seeing how Jessica drives, (worse than a Toronto driver) the ride would certainly not be one of those car rides that feels like it's on rails. Anyone play Call Of Duty? I LOVED those driving-shooting levels. They really felt like the drive was improvised and chaotic.

Heck, at some point the passenger side door could get blown clear, and you'd be without shelter... Just something to think about!

- hold-down weapon zooming... This is not a really new idea either, but sometimes I find it bothersome to have to toggle zoom on or off. I'd like to see a function where you can just hold the button down to zoom, and then release it to zoom out. I AM a headshot fetishist, remember?

Character development...

I really like the contrast between the characters in Sin 1 and the episodes. JC has really matured. He doesn't chatter so much to Blade, and it really seems to suggest that the two can converse in fewer words. They seem to know what the other is thinking.

Jessica, on the other hand -- I find kind of rude and impetuous. She's dangerous -- to Blade, that is... However, in a situation where SinTEK controls so much and throws up all sorts of rules and regulations in their attempt to control HardCORPS, she really moves the plot along a lot faster, albiet in a kamikaze fashion. Still, her heart's in the right place, if only her common sense could catch up! I'm curious to see how the relationship between the two JC's develops.

Unfortunately, Jessica's character is in need of some real development. I don't feel like I know her all that well (her being new to the team and all), and even though she has a very strong personality, I think we need to see WHY she's the way she is. What did sintek industries do to her in the past that makes her hate them so? Why does she seem so short with Blade and JC? She's really the odd one out, but what made the two accept her as a teammate?

She doesn't strike me as much more than an extra gun on the field -- If something bad were to happen to her -- it would be to a stranger. However, when I played Half-Life 2, I _really_ made an effort to keep my teammates alive. I mourned the loss of each comrade -- They were like kin. They would say "Hi Gordon! Wow! Cool!" and if you pulled off a headshot, they'd be "great shot!". It'd be even cooler if you took out a guy who was firing upon them if they would say "whew, good save!". These things seem really menial, but in a team environment, it's nice to have the acknowledgement of your peers. "I'm right behind you!" or "I've got yer back!" or "hey, wait up!" are simple phrases that help that feeling of teamwork.

I find her to be using me for cover a lot when I'm running and furiously shooting, and sometimes she gets in the way when I'm crouched and sniping... I think the AI could be significantly improved if she would notice what I'm doing and try to do the same... i.e. if I'm crouched and sniping, then she'd stand behind and either snipe or go off to the side to kill flanking opponents, or if I'm running and gunning, then she'd direct firepower at whatever I'm shooting at to bring it down faster, or proactively seek out and kill nearby attackers.

It'd also help if she would catch and throw or kick enemy grenades back -- though this would be tough to implement, I bet...

We see her only now and then in the game -- so it's OK to have her as a REALLY good teammate -- it would make the times without her seem a lot harder and we'd really miss her if something bad were to happen to her. As it is, when she takes fire, she sounds like she's being attacked by mosquitoes -- Well, at least she's not whiny about it, but I don't feel a lot of concern for her. Is she invincible in the game? I've never seen her bite the bullet once.

The absolute best would be if she notices your health drop below say, 30%, she'd say "get back!" and start pitching grenades or using the grenade launcher on her rifle, or do something to cover your retreat so you could recover. Or, if you're reloading your gun, she could step in to take your place when you step back.

Also, if she sees inactive enemies and you're not currently engaged in combat, she should refrain from shooting them as it would give away your element of surprise. If you ARE engaged in combat, then she should work at trying to kill enemies that you are currently fighting to avoid 'stirring the pot' into an unmanagable mess.

It WOULD be very cool if she could detect an enemy's proximity to explosive barrels and shoot for the barrels, as long as the proximity check between you and the barrel passes as well...

Elexis -- she seems a little overbearing at times (which her character demands), and totally reminds me of Jessica Rabbit.

'I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.'

I would, however, like to see more of her intellectual side, to add to her syringe-toting femme-fatale schtick. It wouldn't hurt to see her working out formulae or even drawing some of her creations, being the godly creator that she is. It'd also be a good way to get the concept art to appear in the game. 'Creature blueprints'. It'd also be nice to see her wearing those squarish glasses that Bianca wears. Well, not so much simply adorning her face with them, but I like seeing a woman play with them, nibbling absently on the earpieces, looking over the frames (O RLY?), or, just waving them around -- they give her something to do with her hands besides put them on her hips, especially during those scenes where she appears as a hologram. When she needs both hands, she might not even wear them, rather fold them up and hang one side on the centre of her bra. Those glasses would make an excellent prop, use them! She seems like the person who makes flamboyant gestures and her clothing plays a great part in these.

I think the best villains are the ones that really think their purposes are noble. Take Poison Ivy -- she's a villain, but she's got a very environmental mother-earth vibe to her. She's also a scientist, and she's a total femme-fatale, but even with her, I'd like to see that intellectual side. As it is, most female role models out there (especially in North American pop-culture) exude sexuality, and after a while, it gets hard to distinguish one from another. If Elexis could maybe radiate a little bit of that burning intellect, in a way that goes beyond mere condescension, it would be a good thing.

As to her motivations, I think she's probably disgusted with humans and the things they've done to the earth and to each other. She seems like the sort of person who would like to wipe the slate clean, and force humanity's evolution. She may be making all manner of horrible monsters at the start, but they may simply be the enforcers and war machines she needs so she can remove the opposition.

C'mon people! Let's hear your ideas!

Last edited by markc : 06-27-2006 at 12:48 PM.
markc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #289
lokidoki
Regular

Default Re: Suggestions for the next episode?

ok i didn't read you post, but i'll suggest something:
-fists
-chapter selection like in half-life 2
-name of chapter displayed during gameplay at the beginning of the chapter like in half-life 1 and 2
-blade taunts
-cutscenes where blade has conversations with JC and Jessica.
lokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #290
JoelF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannielsen
Why not some windows XP screens. And with real WinXP logon screens. And some of these computers can have guest accounts with no password, and some accounts with bad passwords, and you have to "hack" into the computer and control things.

I have readed some suggestions about shooting off padlocks on the lockers. I dont think thats possibly in real life, which means that the game will be less realistic.
Well, hacking XP might get Ritual into some hot water. I don't know if that's the best thing to do. Remember, for those of us who used DOS, the terminals in the original SiN were a sweet easter egg. (Heh. I grew up on a DOS system. Mmm. That 486 was the greatest.)

Yeah, I figured the locks could be broken, seeing as some things are highly breakable (e.g. the damage props on the cars). I had that lack of immersion feeling when I blew up a stack of explosive crates in one room and the door came off, whereas if I dropped a grenade next to one or blew up a different set of crates (since it's scripted in that one spot), nothing happened.

Just a small complaint. I know it's a linear game and there's nothing wrong with that. Just give me the illusion of choice... That's all I personally want.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #291
markc
Rookie

YES! I miss being able to punch out a badguy. Granted, the weapons have melee attacks, but I think John should never be unarmed -- at least, he's should be able to serve up some knuckle-crackin' sammiches.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #292
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

By the way markc, you can do drive by shootings. If you're sitting in the shotgun position, hold D (or whatever your 'right directional key' is) and you'll lean out the window ready to shoot. Holding 'space' will allow you to stand out the sun-roof and deliver bullets from there. You can also move to different positions of the car just by looking at the seat and moving forward. In that respect, you can also lean out any window to shoot except for the driver's seat.

--------------------
Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #293
markc
Rookie

Kolonel_Klink --- OHHHHHH That's awesome!!!!!

It's funny the things I don't know... I have no manual, although I bought the Steam version, rather than retail
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #294
JKCarrier
Rookie

Talking Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

Having played through the game several times, I've come to the conclusion that while the gameplay is swell, the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Supposedly, the reason Blade and Jessica have to go after Radek right away (instead of getting Blade to medical attention) is so they can find out what Blade was injected with. But right there at the start of the game, Jessica picks up the syringe that still has some of the blue goo in it. Why don't they just take it to a lab and FIND OUT what it is? (especially after Radek admits he doesn't know what it is either?)

Then there's the bit with the guy at the docks, who tells Blade that he'll have to take a long detour through the lighthouse, the wrecked ship, etc. in order to sneak into the SinTek tower. But in the end, Jessica just ends up ramming her car through the front door anyway, so what was the point of all that? (especially since Blade wasn't being particularly stealthy in the first place)

I also couldn't figure out why Jessica kept leaving at random intervals. "I'll go get the car and meet you on the other side." Um, why don't we BOTH take the car? How come Blade has to go on foot, alone? He's the one who's sick, remember? Some partner you are. I think it would be funny if the next episode started off with Blade reading Jessica the riot act: "Oh sure, I get pumped full of radioactive jell-o, and you're all 'You have to keep going, we have to catch Radek'. But when you get it in the neck, suddenly it's 'Ooh, go on without me, I need a nap.' Enjoy your new assignment as crossing guard at Freeport Elementary, rookie..."

Like I said, the game *plays* great, which is the most important thing. But that script could've used a couple more drafts to work out the kinks, I think.
JKCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #295
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc
It's funny the things I don't know... I have no manual, although I bought the Steam version, rather than retail
Right-click on "SiN Episodes: Emergence" and "SiN 1" in your Steam games list...

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #296
sebastiannielsen

>>Well, hacking XP might get Ritual into some hot water. I don't
>>know if that's the best thing to do.

I really loved the DOS terminals in the sin1, this is why I have played sin1 through a couple of times.

But if the trademarks are a problem, Ritual can use Windows 95 or Windows NT or something obsolete. Ritual managed to use DOS (microsofts property) in Sin1 without problems.
sebastiannielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #297
motoko2030
Experienced

Markc, the link to the manual was fixed in the recent patch that came out on Monday June 26th, right-click on Sin Episodes Emergence in the My Games tab in Steam and choose view manual (or something similar) and the manual will load up in a web browser, this is a new addition to Emergence.

As for suggestions for future episodes.

Driving stages where Jessica can be the one doing the shooting or you doing the shooting if you get into the passenger seat.
More character development between Blade and Jessica and Elexis. I would like to see more of a connection between Blade and Jessica that makes the player care for her well being and the same for Jessica being concerned about the player (like in Half Life 2 Episode 1)
Body armor on Blade for extra protection
As mentioned in previous posts in this topic, chapter titles appear when you complete one chapter in the episode and move onto the next chapter
Commentary mode, I really enjoyed this in Half Life 2 Episode 1, it adds more more playtime to the episode.
More context looking and interactive items, like when I saw a PDA on a table that listed a project, I think it was called the Prometheus Project, Jessica said what is this. I personally would have liked to pick up the PDA and read the information on that PDA or have that information sent to a PDA if Blade carries one around
motoko2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #298
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoko2030
More context looking and interactive items, like when I saw a PDA on a table that listed a project, I think it was called the Prometheus Project, Jessica said what is this. I personally would have liked to pick up the PDA and read the information on that PDA or have that information sent to a PDA if Blade carries one around
I would have liked to see that as well, but seeing as Ritual and Valve have a tight connection I doubt they'll implement Doom3 like features. :P

Just kidding dudes, although motoko2030 has a point. Why have PDA's and other such reading material lying around when you can't exactly read exactly what's on them. I understand that the pacing of the game would slow down significantly, but for all us story lovers it'd be a dream come true.

--------------------
Old 06-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #299
markc
Rookie

Ah, yes... that wonderful manual... too bad I learned all the cool tricks from you guys before I noticed it!

As for the driveby shooting, I noticed the 'keyboard help' flash on very briefly (I don't read THAT fast), so I guess that must be on just my system. In any case, I managed to get through the game without stickin' my head out... in fact, I saved a lot of health doing just that.

However, the game could probably benefit from a few enemies with RPGs that can put the kibosh on your car, that make it totally necessary for you to pop out and waste them... or, at the very least, prime some grenades to throw incoming heatseekers off your scent.

*SPOILER* LAST BOSS
=============
Again, I somehow managed to get past the last boss without using 'nades to do that... Ah, I am a sucker for punishment!
=============

I wholeheartedly agree with motoko for adding body armor... SOMEHOW you've got to be able to stand up to those chaingunners, right? As for story and pacing... there has to be a better way to perform the exposition without having to read looong loong paragraphs of text or watch a couple characters parlay back and forth. I'm trying to think of a way you can have yer cake and eat it too. Well, the Half-Life 2 people have a huuuge story and have managed to avoid lengthy explanations, for the most part... I think the key is not in having a few huge masses of text or conversation, but rather by interspersing the same amount of dialogue throughout the game, taking every available opportunity to squirt in a bit of dialogue without forcing the player to sit still and watch it -- and... is the story so complex that it requires such huge masses of dialogue? Could it be simplified? Maybe terse details are all that's needed...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #300
JoelF
Veteran

No, it's not just you. I had the keyboard flash too. It's confusing and probably a bug.