Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #101
BloodShed
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to BloodShed Send a message via AIM to BloodShed Send a message via MSN to BloodShed
Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestio

I had lots of fun playing the game (actually played twice now and going back for more ^_^ )
The PCS really gave me a run for the money, and the outtakes in the end where funny.

My sugguestions:
- A level / chapter selection menu would be nice.
- Randomize enemies alittle (different looks ie. a merc with and without a mask)
BloodShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #102
Newblade
Rookie

-Slow-mo effects for bullets would be nice and quite easy, since a Half-Life 2 mod (SMOD) has incorporated them.
Not a high priority thing, though.
Newblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #103
Murry

Default Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

I'm sure its been said many times by now but just for the sake of emphesis.

Blade - needs to talk more and stop jumping like hes been smacked in the knees one to many times. Hes devoid of personality.

The levels - great, but wheres the interactivity? Wheres the optional objectives or the stuff you can do to influence later levels or get rerouted to completely optional levels/objectives? Sin was great about this, in the first level alone you could effect the enviroment and to an extent the following level. It was minor stuff sure, sometimes it ddnt really do much other than give tiny bits of plot, but it was much appreciated.

The weapons - Were okay, but when did Blade forget how to slug a guy? I guess I can understand that you didnt want people trying to punch their way out of the ambush in the first 'real' level, but at the same time you could have made it so that trying to fight back was futile and would eventualy cause the player to run anyways. It just seems stupid that Blade has to wait till he gets a gun to have any sort of melee attack.

Those are really my major gripes.. theres tiny little things that could be done here and there to improve things but those are what I consider note worthy at least.
Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #104
Buzzfunk
Regular

And more suggestions.

Really, can the level design be a bit more sophisticated? I mean it sure looks good but it really reminds me of 1998. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Buzzfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #105
easthousepinballwizard

I dont know if this has been mentioned but the car isnt very handy i tried to put some spare health in the boot and it wouldnt allow me and it would be nice to have a radio or something to play with.
the chaingun guys are really a pain and on the highest diffuculty the soldiers take 2 shotgun blasts to hit.
the game on a whole is very fun to play though it gets very repetitive in the tower just shooting endless bad guy after bad guy there needs to be more to it
and the mosters arent very cool, theyre really well done but after having them in far cry i'm quite sick of them now. a lot more situations with enemies falling off balconys or something interesting would be good not just hallway after hallway if you get my drift. more later.
easthousepinballwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #106
Zinfacter
Regular

Most of you seem to be saying the same thing over and over again. Why not make a sticky thread at the top of the forum listing the main things we'd all like to see in the next episode? Have a nice bold list of the most important issues. That way, if someone on the Ritual team wants to see what we think, they can easily do so by visiting the stickied thread.
Zinfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #107
Joren

Default Keyboard Turning with Mouselook Enabled

I'd like to suggest allowing the player to use the keyboard to turn right or left even if they are using the mouse to do the same thing. Let the user make decisions about whether they want to be able to do this or not . To quote from my tech support post:

Why is +left/+right disabled with mouselook? I think it's safe to assume if the player doesn't want to be able to turn left and right with the keys they just won't press them...

In every FPS for the past decade or so I've been able to turn via keyboard while moving the mouse at the same time. It gives a little speed boost so I don't have to be rolling the mouse so wildly that I cannot aim. My gameplay coordination's kinda built around that, so not having that throws me off a bit. I'd really like this functionality with SE:1, and it seems counter-intuitive that it's disabled. Any way you guys could enable that?

Thanks,

-- Joren

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1147676848Joren">

Do you use both keyboard and mouse to turn left and right?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>
Joren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #108
Talyene

Default Re: Soundtrack Released

Quote:
The audio actually starts echoing, it's a special effect that was added to the slowmotion, not a bug. And a very cool effect at that.
Sorry man, in my case, I actually think it's a combination of my sound card and a bug with the game. If you heard what I hear while playing, you'd understand, although according to Ritual (who I have to say have been excellent responding to all our praise and criticisms), it will be sorted out on Wednesday with the new patch! Can't wait.

Quote:
Now I don't know what I did wrong or right, but I started out the game with the difficulty slider at one third to the left, so as to say "challenging but not overly so".
I have to say, having played it through a second time on the default difficulty settings, I had a much more satisfying experience. For those of you who read my post earlier on in this thread, I do take back some of what I said. I feel slightly humbled. I thought I was more of a veteran at these games, but in reality I'm a fairly average player and received a pummelling in the second half of the game on my first attempt after setting the sliders at the half way point.

Quote:
But for a lot of talented players who are playing the first portion of the game very quickly, the system is being outrun (so to speak) and by the time it catches up with you, it gets into a state where it isn't re-adjusting the way it should.
I noticed a huge difference between the two games I played. The appearance and difficulty of the SinTEK Heavy Gunners (see my last post to see how much I hate them) the second time round were done in a much more manageable way and also towards the end of the game in a way that made sense, rather than at the beginning of the construction yard and in ever increasing amounts from there onwards.

One thing I did notice because of this was that I didn't pick the machine gun up until much later in the game, which I thought made a lot of sense. The fight/puzzle sequence with the burnt out fuse box was also much more fun to play and at the right challenge level (I died 10 times doing it, rather than 50 and not completing it and getting very fustrated).

My revised opinion of the game is that it is in fact excellent! If you play through on the default challenge settings for the first time, you will have a fun and enjoyable playing experience, that will make it well worth the 12 you spend on this. I am definitely looking forward to the next episode and hope it comes out soon.

Also I'm really thrilled with the way Ritual have responded to these forums, kept us updated, heard our praise and taken our grumblings on board. Well done to you guys, your customers are obviously important to you and you're not just to make a quick buck! Long may it continue.

Just on a final note in respone to MadMax:

Quote:
Story: Umm... WHERE did Elexis come from, why is she even allowed back in the city, and how the hell did Blade end up in her hands at the start of the game? There's way too little background info on that.
Play through the opening scenes again. Jessica/JC mentions something about Blade purposefully falling into their hands so he can plant a bug on Radek.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1147702096Talyene">

Did your first impressions of the game change after playing through a second time?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />No, I'm still not impressed!
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No, I still think it's great.
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />I'm indifferent.
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Yes, I think it's worse the second time through.
<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Yes, I think it's better the second time through - can't wait for the next episode!
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>
Talyene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #109
Grumpy_SWE

Something small i would like to see is an option to go back to the main menu when in a game .
Grumpy_SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #110
Grandpapa
Fanatic

I wan't fist fights, like Sin1 had!
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #111
Superfly
Regular

I agree that someone needs to go through this thread and pick out the requests made and put them in a sticky at the top of this forum.

Would be so much easier for the dev's - and for us to keep track and not repeat stuff.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #112
JemyM

What several people mentioned already... the game seriously lacked in dialogue. The main characters personality was never brought forward.

Blade was one of thoose cool game heroes, like Duke Nukem or Serious Sam, but in Sin Episodes, his personality is non-existant like his love/hate relationship with JC.

Note that I never really had anything for Gordon Freeman either for the same reason: He's quiet, we do not know anything about him and we have no opinion about what's going on.

With no love for the characters, the events during the game never felt "important", just an excuse to shoot some soldiers.

For many, shooting stuff is enough... but for me, taking part in an interactive adventure is what makes singleplayer so great. But in a story, seeing that the main characters have opinions/attitudes of their own makes them feel more real.

JemyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #113
Buzzfunk
Regular

Sticky please? Come on....

Also maybe someone from Ritual can comment on the lack of blade voice throughout the game. I mean it was such an obvious part of the original SIn that you think, they cant [censored] this one up.

Also while im at it again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], i think that considering how short this EP is, MP is needed asap. Cause i see no reason for me to play the single player game again.....
Buzzfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #114
Caine123
Casual

STICKY signed !

RITUAL, PROOF YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT COMMUNITY AND THEIR INFLUENCE IN THE LATER EPISODES !
Caine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #115
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Sorry, I forgot that only sticky posts are read by Ritual people. How we ever noticed this one, I'll never know! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #116
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

I notice a lot of commentary on the grenades...has anyone discovered some of the finer nuances of grenades? Just a little fuel for the discussion:

Immediately after you throw one, you can grab it before it gets thrown, thus allowing a "cooking" period. Press the grenade button and immediately hold the use button. This will cause blade to hold the grenades in front of his face and you can throw it whenever you're ready.

You can pick up and throw back enemy grenades. Press use on them before they go off and you can drop/throw them like any other physics object.

You can shoot grenades. Once a grenade has been thrown, simply fire at it with your gun and it will react like any other object in the game by moving in the direction of the bullet.

Does knowing this information about the grenades help the utility at all or would you guys still like to see some more features in them?
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #117
Newblade
Rookie

I didn't know that way of cooking the grenades, it's good (although not very obvious).

Still, I think we should be able to decide how far we want to toss them (maybe the more time you press the grenade button, the further they go, just like others fps).
Newblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #118
wimp

1. Blade needs to talk more and difficulty lvl should be sorted.
2. The price of the game compared to the hours of fun is a bit steep. A price of $12.95 per episode would be more reasonable. Having to pay $19.95 each time for so little content I am putting questionmarks on future purchases of the series.
3. Loading times are stiff, I've got 2gigs of corsair ram on a decent system and it still takes way too long to load each area, I'm comparing this to HL2.
4. The situation in blade's car is rather clumsy. I could move and turn about loosely as if no chair was in the way, and hanging out of the vehicle feels like a semi-noclip action. There's no actual sensation of hanging out the window.
5. A multiplayer feature to keep us busy during the long waits between episodes would be nice and would justify the price some more.

That's it for now!

wimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #119
ATimson
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by wimp:
3. Loading times are stiff, I've got 2gigs of corsair ram on a decent system and it still takes way too long to load each area, I'm comparing this to HL2.
Yes, it takes a while to load; on the other hand, these levels are much larger than those in Half-Life 2 were.... Compare the load times for these maps to the similarly-sized Minerva (a SP HL2 mod--highly recommended, if you haven't played it) ones, and they should be pretty much the same.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #120
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

Quote:
One thing I did notice because of this was that I didn't pick the machine gun up until much later in the game, which I thought made a lot of sense.
The first time I played through, I got the assault rifle from Jessica. The second time (harder challenge), I got it way before that point, and Jessica said "I have something for you" and then did nothing at all. Point is: a story/plot element (she gives you a new weapon) was destroyed by the PCS.

Something to add: Sin Episodes in general needs a documentation. Not just for casual players, but also to explain stuff even hardcore gamers don't know about (like the HUD!).
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #121
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

OH! So THAT's what she gives you! I've played that part half a dozen times and NEVER seen her give me the rifle since I've always had it way before that. I was always like "uhh..."
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #122
Iggy01
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by Parnic:
Does knowing this information about the grenades help the utility at all or would you guys still like to see some more features in them?
The ability to kick them away like you can sometimes see in actionmovies?
Iggy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #123
WretchedSpawn
Regular

I doesn't sound like anyone figured out this "if you just hold down the 'use' key right after pressing the 'throw grenade' key you can cook off the grenades before finally throwing them" thing. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that just sounds completely unintuitive. I would equate such a combination of actions with something along the lines of throwing the grenade with one hand while simultaneously grabbing it out of the air with your other hand. Doesn't make sense does it? I would imagine that's why no one figured it out.

At the very least such an unituitive combination of commands should be documented in an accessible place. Though if Ritual wanted to go further than bare minimum I think revising the way grenades are thrown, and/or reducing the length of the delay on the grenades, and/or reducing the amount of 'bounce' would be a step in the right direction.
WretchedSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #124
JezzyBall
Community Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JezzyBall

In the first Sin there was a training area where you could test out and learn all (some) of the weapons etc.

Might be a fun add to have a similar "training mode" that allows you to learn all of these things...

Picking up nades, cooking them, shotgun corner shots, shooting through walls items with the Alt Fire Magnum, Mutagen Tactics, Using items you pick up as shields, Etc.

Maybe a sharpshooting range where you could post scores for braggin' rights.

Oh. And Blade needs to be back in true voice form like Sin 1. Gotta happen.

Love the game Rit. Keep it up.
JezzyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #125
Standoff
Veteran

My only feedback that I feel would add anything to this thread:

Could you make it so pressing the 'use' key would bring up perfectly readable versions of the news/bulletin boards/whatever? That would add a lot to the world and interactivity, if you ask me.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote