Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Tinsel

Default Did SiN just install Malware?

I purchased and installed SiN over Steam today (5-12-06) and played it for about an hour (and enjoyed it). I log off and approximately 3 minutes later, I get a pop-up (not a browser pop-up, but an actual systray popup) from Viewpoint Media Manager asking me if I'd like to upgrade.

I freak out, because I am extremely security conscious on this computer. I check for virii and spyware and adware and malware 3 times a week and I always research programs before I install them (I have kept my computer completely free from Starforce, for example).

I do a few quick searches on Google, and find that the Viewpoint Media player:

1. Is typically installed with either AOL, AIM, or Netscape.
2. Allows for the display of complex 3D flash or shockwave imagery.
3. Has been known to be installed without the user's consent.
4. Is considered malware because of #3 and also because its privacy policy (which you do not ever see, or have to agree to) allows them to collect quite a bit of information about you and your machine.

I also read that it's not really too harmful, other than the collecting of info, and you can just uninstall it and never be bothered with it again.

So, I uninstalled it (and its Viewpoint Media Manager, which controls the upgrade pop-ups). I wondered where I could have picked it up, since I *DO NOT* have AOL, AIM, or Netscape on this computer. I *also* have not installed any new programs on this computer for probably the last month or so (with SiN being the only recent addition).

The 3D imagery made me think that SiN possibly uses it for the display of all those monitor screens in the game. I went back into the game and didn't notice any crashing or any blank textures, so I can't be sure if it was SiN or not.

Since I purchased it through Steam, I also cannot check the CD or reinstall the game to see if it was SiN or something else.

Can all of you please check if you now have the Viewpoint Media Player now on your systems after you got SiN?

It will install to C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Media Player.

Extreme apologies if it was not SiN (I'll then be banging my head against the wall since I have no idea what installed it!).
Tinsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
ran93r
Addict

Default Re: Did SiN just install Malware?

Not installed here so I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with Sin Ep or Steam in general.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_137262.htm
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Tinsel

Ok thanks for checking.

I was pretty sure it wasn't Steam in general since I use that a lot for Counterstrike and DoD but I thought perhaps it was something specific for SiN for all of those neat computer monitor graphics (thought the screens might just be displayed in 3d flash or something like that to cut down on how much it had to render).

Anyone else mind checking?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Shmidley
Rookie

I have Viewpoint on my computer, something I did not know about, but it's been there since January so it can't have been created by SiN. I've never had any problems with it. You should check to see when the folder was created..
Shmidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
H4d3s
Rookie

nothing like Viewpoint Media Player here. checked folders, searched hidden files: nothing, spy/malware scan: nothing.

seems to come from somewhere else.
H4d3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Viewpoint does not come with "SiN Episodes."
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Tinsel

Thanks for the official reply.

Thanks for the smart tip on checking folder creation (was 3 days ago, before SiN).