Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
enfestid
Veteran

Default Great job!

Beat the game yesterday in roughly 4 or 5 hours... great job, Ritual! I'd post my impressions, but I'm hard-pressed for time at the moment, so I'll give my thouhts later. Just thought I'd say nice job on the game.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
enfestid
Veteran

Default Re: Great job!

Been playing the game even more, and the more I play it, the more I love it.

First, I didn't own the original SiN. I believe I played a demo of it or played it at a friend's house or something like that, though, so do slightly know what it was like, but I'm not as hardcore a fan as a lot of the other people here.

Right off the bat, I know some people have problems with there only being 3 weapons and a grenade... personally, I love it. You don't have to worry about ammo for every single weapon and your ammo will restock quicker because there are only 3 ammo types to pick up -- and the enemies are all spaced out pretty evenly, so you shouldn't have much of an ammo problem in the entire game. Same with health, as sometimes enemies drop health and sometimes they don't, but you always have the nifty health station there and cannisters if you need it. The game's very well balanced in this regard.

I know some people were hoping for a little more tongue-in-cheek action and jokes, but I thought the game was just where it needed to be. I hate games that go to great lengths to try and be funny and just aren't. Very few games can pull it off, and honestly, a lot of the times I don't even like playing those games. No One Lives Forever (1 and 2) is one of the few games I enjoyed like that.

I noticed a few small graphical erros here and there (like, for instance, at the beginning of the game in the Docks where you talk to the manager character -- sometimes his tie will fall through his shirt/body slightly), but there aren't many of these moments.

Some people thought the game was far too hard, but I liked it. Yes, it does get much harder at the end -- but why shouldn't it? It's the end of the game (or, in this case, episode), it's not supposed to be easy. I died probably 10 times or so throughout the entire game... just as it should be. It wasn't a game where you pull your hair out trying to get past a certain part.

The game also didn't last me 6 hours like some previews estimated it to be, but it lasted a good 4 and a half to 5 hours. I don't have anything wrong with that, either. I hate games where they seem like they never end and just drag on (Doom 3, anyone?). These episodes seem to have the right length to me. I may not get all of them or even the next one, but I'll get more. The price is a little steep to get all of them (maybe if it were $12 to $15 I'd get all, or if they get discounted after a while), but I can understand why because of development costs for episodic content.

A few silly nitpicks: the icon (Windows icon) is ugly. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Also, I like the look of the weapons, but sometimes the assault rifle's model can look strange do to reflections or something. Not sure if it's my computer or the game itself.

Anyways, great job!
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
he_the_great
Regular

Default Re: Great job!

Quote:
Originally posted by enfestid:
Some people thought the game was far too hard, but I liked it. Yes, it does get much harder at the end -- but why shouldn't it? It's the end of the game (or, in this case, episode), it's not supposed to be easy. I died probably 10 times or so throughout the entire game... just as it should be. It wasn't a game where you pull your hair out trying to get past a certain part.
This part is more that people were doing so well at the beginning (with the slider around the middle) that it became really hard later in the game. I personally haven't had this problem, but I'm also not as far as where people are complaining about it (the mutenantagen makes my screen go black [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
he_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote