Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
Tru3_Blu3
Rookie

Default Wow, this game is a system hog.

Half-Life2 looks better then this game and it runs better on my PC. SiN is running very ugly on my PC. When ever I see a large enviroment (like the underground part on where you go through this big area and then the bridge explodes) the game goes at like 20 FPS. And this game has very large fire fights, especially the ending. When I was doing those firefighs, it wasn`t running so well. It was really going at the speed of 60-35 FPS. I had all AA and AF off and I still had bad performance on my 7800GT.

I guess Ritual didn`t fully finish the game yet, they must`ve rushed it. Source it supposed to run great on all gaming PCs ( (even low-end ones), but I have a high-end PC and I`m not seeing anything good from the slide-show.

Oh well, the game is still fun. I just beat it and I have to say, the game is intense. But I would really like to see the game going at smooth frame-rates like those trailers.
Tru3_Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
shortkud
Rookie

Default Re: Wow, this game is a system hog.

You would think if everyone had this problem we would be posting. What are the rest of your specs, CPU,RAM,HDD.
shortkud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Tru3_Blu3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by shortkud:
You would think if everyone had this problem we would be posting. What are the rest of your specs, CPU,RAM,HDD.
Geforce7800GT, Pentium4 EE 3.4Ghz, 1 GB of Duel Channel RAM, 30 GB of HD, and a 500WATT PSU.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
PrivateNewbie
Regular

I'm running the game at 1600 by 1200 res... it runs perfect... all the time. Ahaha. My specs are only slightly better than yours... weird.
PrivateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
WretchedSpawn
Regular

Funny, I'm running the game smooth as butter at either 1280x1024 w/ 4x Anti-Aliasing or 1600x1200 w/ 2x Anti-Aliasing (take your pick) on a 3 year old 2.26 GHz P4 OC'd to 2.76 GHz and a Geforce 6800 GT...

It's definitely running slightly smoother than HL2 although you're right, it still doesn't look quite as nice.

Do you actually have any proof that the game is "hogging" system resources or are you just saying that because your frame rates suck? This could be caused by any one of a number of issues though my own experiences would seem to suggest that an unquentiable thirst for raw processing power or system memory is not one of them.

Perhaps you are suffering from one of the 'minor issues' noted in this post from the game's lead programmer. Also check this thread.

Are you sure that all of your drivers are up to date?
WretchedSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Ajaxkron

I'm running on a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra with a 3.2 ghz processor, 1024 MB RAM, and framerate is fairly constant, around 30-45. All settings set to High (AA 2X, AF 4X), with the exception of Shader quality (Default value is high quality; lowered it due to personal preference).

Tried defragging?

Still, SinE does run worse than HL2, although I'm suspecting this is more related to mapping (use of area portals, HINTs, etc.) rather than actual 'code'.

Edit: I'd suggest you get more HD space; it does wonders to in-game performance.
Ajaxkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
BoogieKnight
Casual

Smooth here too (literally 59/60 fps when running around not fighting, going to high 30's low 40's when I have about 7 dead bodies on the floor in one tight spot and more enemies I'm fighting. Most firefights are mid to high 40's and heavy special effetcs (like shields and elexis' hologram) sitting in the 40's too.

Playing in 1280x960 @ 85hz on a P4c 2.8GHz, 1GB 3200DDR, and my 9700 pro. Game looks better than HL2 imo, thanks to it's architecual style and overall visual flare style. Runs just like HL2 does. And no I don't use AA or AF (AF makes fences in steam look...weird, AA is useless at 1280 res for me...not worth the performance hit).

Actually I tried it first at 1024x768 and had stuttering issues at some moments, but then I remembered that I had used some flipping for Oblivion, disabled that as it should be (undefined it) -- Oblivion worked better with it on 1. Anyway, did you maybe tweak your system for one particular game (esp Oblivion)? If so untweak it and see how it runs.
BoogieKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
djbell
Experienced

Wrong forum for this I guess, but since this is a gripe and not a real request for help, I'll bite. I have to run 1680x1050 or things just don't scale right on my screen. Anyway my computer's a year old, I've got an Athlon 3200+ with a gig of ram and a Geforce6600GT. The game runs like silk.

One thing I did was left the textures models and shaders at high, but decreased shadows and switched to bilinear filtering and no AA. I can't notice any hard edges at this res (my screen's 21" and I can't lean too close to it anyway). I have 40 second load times, which kinda blows but I had that issue in Half-Life 2 as well, except the levels felt a lot thinner, less to do or shorter.
djbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
shortkud
Rookie

You could use a bigger hard drive, the RPM on that 30gb has to suck. Get an 80gb with like 7200rpm. They are like 60bucks USD now
shortkud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
JohnRBladekicksass
Regular

I got a ATi Radeon , 500 mb of ram, and 2 ghz with around 72 Gigs of space on my hard drive. Would Sin run smoothly on my CPU (Half-Life does)
JohnRBladekicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
djbell
Experienced

Well I may have tweaked Sin a little better than I tweaked Half-Life 2, but it does run better than Half-Life 2 for me. I would assume it's the same for most people.
djbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
sim_said
Casual

2 gig ram
amd athlon 64 3400+
g-force 6800 gt agp

crashed twice due to ram said game (sorry watching too much star wars)

i also have an xfi elite pro sound card some say this card helps the processor
sim_said is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
he_the_great
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnRBladekicksass:
I got a ATi Radeon , 500 mb of ram, and 2 ghz with around 72 Gigs of space on my hard drive. Would Sin run smoothly on my CPU (Half-Life does)
I think you should be fine. I have Radeon 9000 and 768mb ram. Though if if you have a Radeon card below 9600 the mutantagen will black out your screen unless you force it to run in DX7 mode. I expect them to be patching it this weekend though as they do know about it. (if you want to know when the get it fixed PM me, I will tell you.)
he_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Tru3_Blu3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by WretchedSpawn:
Funny, I'm running the game smooth as butter at either 1280x1024 w/ 4x Anti-Aliasing or 1600x1200 w/ 2x Anti-Aliasing (take your pick) on a 3 year old 2.26 GHz P4 OC'd to 2.76 GHz and a Geforce 6800 GT...

It's definitely running slightly smoother than HL2 although you're right, it still doesn't look quite as nice.

Do you actually have any proof that the game is "hogging" system resources or are you just saying that because your frame rates suck? This could be caused by any one of a number of issues though my own experiences would seem to suggest that an unquentiable thirst for raw processing power or system memory is not one of them.

Perhaps you are suffering from one of the 'minor issues' noted in this post from the game's lead programmer. Also check this thread.

Are you sure that all of your drivers are up to date?
My drivers are up to date. Are you sure it is my HD? HD is really for program room and even if you loose it all, nothing will change. Also, my HD carries 60 GB at max, I know have 30. My PC is fully defraged and I have no viruses. I don`t know what`s the problem dude.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tru3_Blu3:
Quote:
Originally posted by shortkud:
Geforce7800GT, Pentium4 EE 3.4Ghz, 1 GB of Duel Channel RAM, 30 GB of HD, and a 500WATT PSU.
A 30 GB HDD, it must be really old. What is it's RPM and cache? A slow HDD can easily lower performace. What is the speed of that ram?
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #16
IronPigeon
Casual

HD shouldn't really be the problem unless that game is constanty loading stuff during gameplay. If the game really was using the HD activity during the game then everyone should be noticing performance hits since all HDs are freaking slow. That's just my 2 cents and not a professional opinion.
IronPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #17
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Well he might have a 5000 RPM HDD, which is significantly slower than todays average PC with a 7000 RPM+ HDD.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #18
enfestid
Veteran

Game runs great for me and I only have an average PC. Although I did get a ton of slowdown on the area with the trains (in the Docks).
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
Shmidley
Rookie

A lot of people are having this problem AND they are posting about it. Some people have amazing computers, and they run the game with every setting set to the absolute minimum and the game still gets frame rates that are unplayable. M. Russel said they were still looking into the issue.
Shmidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
AgentOtaku

I'm one of the people that is also having the lame performance problems....

I run HL2 flawless BTW
AgentOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote