Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Superfly
Regular

Default Getting stuck against props and taking damage??

Hi Guys,

I have noticed once or twice now that you can occasionally get stuck against a prop (example would be the large crate in a back alley at the start of the game), I was able to get moving again by pressing the jump button a few times but sadly I also lost 64 health points!!

I'll try and reproduce this tonight and grab a screenshot of the offending prop!!
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

Default Re: Getting stuck against props and taking damage?

This is an issue with physics objects in the source engine. It's a very rare happening and we made some modifications to the engine so that it would happen even less often. Unfortunately, this is still an occasional issue. Normally it occurs when getting a prop stuck between yourself and a surface such as a wall or table or even another physics object.
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Superfly
Regular

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
kop48

I've also been stuck between the railing and the wall and couldn't get out (the sub area at the stairwell to the control room). Also, if you sometimes walk OVER small physic objects such as canisters or whatnot, you feel like they're blocking you. I've also stated this in another post, but when you back up against a wall, you don't 'slide' down the wall, but stop moving. This is really frustrating sometimes when you walk into a room full of guys and you can't back up and fire.

Something else that really annoys me is that enemy AI can shoot through cover, namely large physics props, or (relatively) thin walls.
kop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
ATimson
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by kop48:
Something else that really annoys me is that enemy AI can shoot through cover, namely large physics props, or (relatively) thin walls.
Yes, they can. On the other hand, so can you, so return the favor! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

The physics in the source engine can behave oddly at times. Hopefully once we get the new source engine updates implemented, some of these issues will be resolved. Until then, they are not blocking game progression, but I understand they can be annoying.

And like ATimson said, you can fire through thin walls and such too [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
KalZakath
Experienced

Indeedy, HL2 is full of places where a 1CM high step stops you dead in your tracks, right after you step up something that's 20CM high without a problem [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Gotta love game physics [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sadly, few or no amusing "supercharge" incidents, where an object receives a huge impulse due to being stuck or "sandwiched" between other objects [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Must admit I had a few collision problems with Sin:E, but not that many. And they were all very small vertical edges (detail on scenery) that I managed to get stuck on I think, generally when backtracking from weapon fire [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also gotta love quickload.
KalZakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
kop48

Yeah, yeah, I know. It just detracts from the experience too much sometimes as it can get frustrating.
kop48 is offline   Reply With Quote