Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
slyda83

Default HOW DO I IDENTIFY WHICH VERSION OF SE1 I HAVE?

It used to be real simple: when a game goes retail that version of the game is v1.0, then patches come out to fix the screw up in the retail... and that will rename the version to v1.1 or v1.2 whatever right... but now, with steam and sin episodes, i cannot tell what version of the game i have. A cvar command for returning the version of the source engine is included, but no command for returning the sin episodes version number??? An update for the game was distributed a few days ago via steam and not only was I forced to update to it, but it didn't even tell me what it was changing. In fact the game looks exactly the same. But not being able to see if an update was installed or not is crap. Surely I must be over looking something... please help
slyda83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Maniac
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Maniac
Default Re: HOW DO I IDENTIFY WHICH VERSION OF SE1 I HAVE?

It's not difficult. Just open the developer console by enabling it in the advanced options menu. Whenever you enable the console the game version will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.

-Maniac
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
slyda83

did you read any of the stuff i wrote? thats half life's source engine version thats being displayed there... and thats the same information that is returned when typing 'version' in the console... thats not sin-specific information. Hell, half life 2 will feed you the same information...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
deceiver
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to deceiver Send a message via MSN to deceiver

If you have Steam and an internet connection, you'll always have the most up to date version...
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
programmer2
Casual

Ah well, at least for telling the difference before the initial version and Wednesday's patch, you can just start a new game, and reset the difficulty sliders to their defaults. If both sliders are set to the same, you've got the old version, whereas if the lower slider is in the middle, you've got the new version.

Since this game is on Steam though, this isn't really of any matter, since you'll always have the newest version as long as you start Steam in online mode. Or well, not just after a patch has been released, but as soon as you restart Steam anyway.
programmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
slyda83

im sure i can figure out my own way of unofficially identifying the product that i have, unfortunately i want to know the build number/compile version for reasons of identification and discussion. almost every game in history has this, i find it hard to believe that sin doesnt...
Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Maniac
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Maniac

The advice I listed if you looked at it again will list source engine build AND game build in the little parenthesis. The game does not use version 1.0, 1.1, etc, instead it uses build numbers. This is not the first game to do that.

This is pretty moot though, as you will ALWAYS have the latest version of the game with steam. That's the beauty of the software. No need to wait in line for hours in line at fileplanet. No searching, automatic easy and quick updates.

-Maniac
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
wisecode
Experienced

Send a message via MSN to wisecode

When Source Engine updates are released to the SDK the actual source files are updated but the customers are the ones who make their own changes and additions and then Build Solutions.
The result is the files in the customers game bin folder.
Each game can also have it's own bsp version.

There are 4 major parts to a release from a customer:
1) The Game bin files.
2) BSP
3) Visibility
4) Radiosity

All of these are part of a hierarchy that evolve from the Source Engine updates, and then blossom into what the customer creates.
wisecode is offline   Reply With Quote