Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax
Default HOW to get to the console on foreign keybards?

My keyboard layout is German, i.e. the tilde (~) is on another key than on the English layout. You need to press this key to open the console. In other games I have to press the same key where the tilde would be if I had the English keyboard layout (the key left next to 1), but this doesn't work in Emergence... neither does the real tilde key. Actually I've tried a number of keys and none of them opens the console. Yes, I have checked the option in the menu, and yes, I have restarted the game... still no luck. Using English language for Steam and Emergence.

What do I do to get to the console?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

Default Re: HOW to get to the console on foreign keybards?

You have to add "-console" to the startup parameter in Steam. Right click on SiN Episodes -> properties -> set lauch options.

But then you won't have anymore the characters in the main menu [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
DI_MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

Hmmkay, will try that. No character backgrounds? Doesn't matter, I need the console for testing only.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

I think you're testing the same as I....I had no success yet [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
programmer2
Casual

Since I don't have a German keyboard myself I can't verify that it works, but personally I bind the console to "\", which enables me to open the console with the key left of 1. You could try if it does the trick on a German keyboard as well.

Open up your config.cfg found in the SE1\cfg directory, in there you'll find a line that says bind "`" "toggleconsole". Don't edit that line directly though, I seem to remember that won't work for some reason, just add bind "\" "toggleconsole" just under that line. Save and start your game and give it a go.

But since this button won't work while at the menu (which it did in for example HL1), using the -console parameter is often more preferable for testing things, depending on what you're going to do.
programmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

You don't have to add -console to your shortcut, just go to your "options" => "keyboard options" => "advanced" and there's a checkbox to enable the console. This will enable the console until you un-check it (including closing/re-opening the game).
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Originally posted by Parnic:
You don't have to add -console to your shortcut, just go to your "options" =&gt; "keyboard options" =&gt; "advanced" and there's a checkbox to enable the console. This will enable the console until you un-check it (including closing/re-opening the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't seem to work with german keyboard layout. Only this AND -console switch...then it works.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
programmer2
Casual

The problem with only using that approach though Parnic, is that the console doesn't show up on the menu, so you can only access it by pressing your console key when in-game. If you are opening the console to load a different level for example, then this would mean that you first have to start a new game and load the intro level, and THEN you can open the console and load the map you really want. Hence why -console can be quicker (and also avoids loading the 3D background).

As for you Germans' problem, I googled for the German keyboard layout, and apparently the key left to the 1 on your keyboards is ^. If you try binding the console to that key by typing bind "toggleconsole" "^" in the console you can access by the -console method or by adding it to the config.cfg file as previously mentioned. If this doesn't work either but all you really want is to access the console, using whichever key, just bind it to p or F3 or whatever other random key you want [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT:
Oh, maybe you weren't replying to me Parnic, I just read the "re" field without looking through the rest of the thread again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Parnic

Actually I have no problem being able to open the console on a fresh game load without the -console shortcut option - not really a big deal, was just trying to offer an alternative cause some people don't like/know how to edit their shortcuts/launch options. You're correct that it results in a faster game load avoiding the 3d background, but you *can* open the console without the -console launch parameter from the main menu &amp; without loading a level first.

Thanks for helping out with a solution in this thread [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
programmer2
Casual

Meh, I can't do that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

TECH SUPPORT! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Same problem with finnish keyboard, but above mentioned way, -console, works fine.
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
Parnic

Glad you guys got this resolved. We'll add this to the FAQ at the top...not that anyone reads it :P.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

I can confirm that this DOESN'T work for german keyboard layouts: bind "^" "toggleconsole"