Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-30-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
Magicide

Default Slow FPS Not Fixed With Dual Core Patch

Hi, so far I've been trying to play Sin but the FPS is running slow enough to ruin the game for me. I recently played Half-Life 2 again at 1920x1200 with no FPS issues and my box can handle games like FEAR or Oblivion without much of a problem.

Short form here are my computer spec:
Athlon X2 3800 CPU
A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard (updated chipset/drivers)
Geforce 6800 GT Video Card
2 GB Dual Channel RAM
WD Raptor HDD

Here's the first important bits of my Dxdiag.txt:<font color="red">
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/30/2006, 00:17:27
Machine name: HAL9000
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050928-1517)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 300MB used, 3129MB available
Windows Dir: E:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&amp;DEV_0092&amp;SUBSYS_C5183842 &amp;REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8198 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/10/2005 04:06:00, 3955456 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a</font>

As well here are 4 screenshots from in game. Two of Sin and two of Half-Life 2 in about as close to a similair view as you can get (buildings across water)

Half-Life two for some reason plays about the same with options high or low making me think the limitation is somehow CPU related. Sin on the other hand shows a very clear difference between high and low res. Since I have applied both fixes recommended for dual core system I don't know what it could be now.

Sin High Res 1680x1050

Sin Low Res 640x480 with all options to minimum

Half-Life 2 High Res 1680x1050 - HDR Off

Half-Life 2 Low Res 640x480 with all options to minimum
Magicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
UTWarden
Experienced

Default Re: Slow FPS Not Fixed With Dual Core Patch

you say you have a GF 6800 GT but your DX tells us you have a GF 7800GT.
post a screenie without any of the GUI interfaces.

the lower FPS from HL2 to Sin:E is actually pretty easy to understand, but they should be within bounds I'm not gonna doubt the newer ai will take a toll on the CPU, but this doesn't answer your issue either.

on the NF4 your running the 6.70's? (I do but all but the NV lan driver is the 6.66)

81.98? you tried diferent video drivers at all?

UTWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

Is 30FPS the lowest framerate you get? I see that you're taking the screenshot from the docks area which is one of the most graphically-intensive areas in the game. If you're getting 30 FPS (which is fluid, more fps than a movie) then I wouldn't consider it an issue. However, as the previous poster pointed out, your video drivers are one rev old. I believe the current rev is 84.21. Try upgrading and see if that helps you at all.
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
Magicide

It was a 7800 GT, just a mistype on my part.

I updated the drivers and it actuallly made a significant difference.

The problem I had was that even though it was 30 fps right there, the fps would spike and fluctuate from 25-35 and it was painfully noticable as it shifted.

With the new drivers I am still getting a 30ish avg FPS but it's staying stable so it's not causing the jerkiness I had before. So I consider it case closed.. I need to update drivers more than every 4 months or so.
Magicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
cogwheel

The problem is SiN's lack of performance optimization in their maps. It's pretty damn poor.

I have a P4 2.8, X850 XT, 1 gig of RAM, Creative Xi-Fi. I can lower settings, lower res, etc., and no matter what the frame rate routinely chugs during action and outdoor areas, just like what you're saying. I mean, it's PLAYABLE, but 20-25 fps during action is pretty irritating, especially with SiN's mindless kill-a-whole-bunch-of-randomly-spawning-bad-guys combat situations, that require quick reflexes and good aim if you want to keep your health robust. And fps that low significantly hinders your skills, and reduces game enjoyment.

Yes, I have the latest drivers in everything. I am always meticulous in that regard, and I practice near obsessive system hygiene.

I have seen games with a lack of performance optimization before, and SiN: Emergence is one of them. The proof of poor optimization is in the quality settings themselves. I shouldn't be able to lower and raise my res and settings and not get a performance difference either way. Always the tell-tale sign of poor optimization and lack of polish. It's pretty clearn SiN: Emergence was not put through too much QA.

It's either the maps themselves, or the AI.....which if so is pretty laughable, considering SiN's enemy AI is primitive at best. Nevertheless, it still may very well be the culprit, as I've noticed that once an area is cleared (just dozens of bodies everywhere, the aftermath), the framerate gets back up to the comfortable 40-60 range.

Say you're ABOUT to go into a room/area that triggers a combat encounter, and you're just standing there......the fps is like 35. Complete the combat, go back to where you were standing before, and the fps is now 60, even if there are piles of high-poly corpses in view. Obviously, that's pretty lame.

So far, every non-Valve produced Source engine game (this even goes for non-Valve produced CS:S maps, such as the ones mades by Turtle Rock) I've played has shown poor performance optimization. It's starting to seem like only Valve knows how to code for Source properly.

Though I realize most Ritualistic people would probably just read this, get irritated, and write me off, I hope someone will actually be objective and make note of these truthful observations I've made.
cogwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
UTWarden
Experienced

wow you made 2 posts which are IDENTICAL.

Start your own thread?
UTWarden is offline   Reply With Quote