Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax
Default You wanted BLADE TALK in Emergence? Look here!

As some of you might have noticed, the Sin Episodes Editing forum has a thread called "Blade's Voice Pack" that was started by djbell, who has now joined forces with programmer2 to work on a solution to Blade's missing speech, the #1 issue we want solved for Sin Episodes. Impressed by the work djbell pulled off with his taunting mod, I figured that Emergence needed more Blade talk, and by that I mean dialog wth JC and Jessica where possible and necessary.
I'm currently working through the episode and adding Blade responses where needed to every radio/personal dialog Jess and JC are performing. I'm using Sin 1's and WoS's Blade voice files to do this. Now, while this is not like the funny wisecracking between JC and Blade that we had in Sin 1, it really makes the game's dialog much more fluent as Blade will now actually respond with a proper remark if Jessica or JC tell him something, so that Emergence doesn't feel as muted as it used to be. The farther I'm progressing through the episode, the more I feel that I can add more Blade speech since the number of dialogs increase, and in fact I already have some rather fitting and funny responses in there. I'm currently working on the U4 lab chapter of the game and I work on this project every day, so I think I'll soon be finished at which point this mod will be made available for every of you Sin fans to download and enjoy. This is gonna give Emergence the touch that it's missing to be Sin! (Well, at least I hope so...)

My best scene yet which I completed today can be previewed in a low-fi video clip that I just recorded from the game: click here to download (< 10 MB, DivX 5). I'm sorry for the rather strange sound mix, but somehow Emergence wouldn't let me run the audio in stereo without a nasty crackling in the background, so I had to record this in 5.1 and it was mixed down to stereo by FRAPS. You can still hear the dialog, and I hope you'll like it!

Further progress on the voice pack from djbell and prog2 can be found in the Editing forum where I'll report my progress in the coming days. Just thought that posting this here would get most of you guys seeing it. Eventually there might also be a voice pack that includes both my work as well as dj's and prog's efforts; we'll see about that when they have finished their awesome coding work.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
panda_rage

Default Re: You wanted BLADE TALK in Emergence? Look here!

cool, just got down watching the video. If everything fits in as well as that clip, i'll be looking forward to the mod. good work.
panda_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

That was awesome. I loved it man, can not wait for this to be finished.
Really seems to make the game feel more alive.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
programmer2
Casual

That sounds great! You don't need our help to make a cool voice mod [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

What we could do for you in that scene, is making the HUD hint for planting the dataspike show up later in the conversation. Other than that, you've worked out the timings real good anyway [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you do come up with longer conversations which don't fit in the alloted time though, hang on to those ideas for a little longer, since we could alter the timings for virtually everything. For example giving you a longer elevator "ride" (it isn't really moving) if you'd like some more conversation in there.
programmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Impressive.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
In5t16At0r
Rookie

I LOVED IT! I can't wait for the finished product, thanks for your hard work!
In5t16At0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

Any idea on a timeframe? Like a guess on a time for the finished product.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

Quote:
Originally posted by programmer2:
That sounds great! You don't need our help to make a cool voice mod [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

What we could do for you in that scene, is making the HUD hint for planting the dataspike show up later in the conversation. Other than that, you've worked out the timings real good anyway [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I *believe* (not entirely 100%) that the hud hint for that shows up in the middle of the conversation normally, and allows you to place it before JC is done talking. Or maybe that was one of the beta bugs... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Very nice work on the mod, though. Cool addition to the game.
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Hollow_Man
Casual

The community never ceases to astound me. Keep up the good work,

-HM
Hollow_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Caine123
Casual

yeah that's what i thought could expect from Ritual............

but when more shootings come in, then the action lines cannot be missed like "DEAD, DEAD DUMB BITCH" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !
Caine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
Hollow_Man
Casual

I'm going to go on the theory that Ritual had a good reason that Blade is so quiet in the game, especially considering that the actor, Eric Mills, does appear to do the voiceover for the trailer:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=8753

...and is credited on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490214/

-HM
Hollow_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
MadMax
Veteran

Quote:
I *believe* (not entirely 100%) that the hud hint for that shows up in the middle of the conversation normally, and allows you to place it before JC is done talking.
That's right, it appears in the middle of his sentence.

Quote:
Any idea on a timeframe? Like a guess on a time for the finished product.
I've worked myself through to the end of the pit. Blade is a little pissed off right now since Jess commands him around after he just battled the Quadralux [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Yeah, I'm trying to colour his talking a bit by providing some clue as to how he's feeling in that moment.
Gonna do Supremacy Tower tomorrow. With any luck, it might be done on Thursday! (Of course there will probably be revisions later if I find that things can be added.)

Glad all of you like my work, especially you Ritual guys. It's amazing how you approve of and encourage modding to your game.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Dmio
Rookie

THats really nice, i loved it, kinda brought some of the good Old John R. BLade back [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Attitude [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Dmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #14
Zinfacter
Regular

This is all cool and all, but I hope Ritual didn't have a reason for making him silent that they planned on explaining in the next Episode. Might seem a little weird with this voice pack ;p
Zinfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
deceiver
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to deceiver Send a message via MSN to deceiver

Wow, man I'm never gonna get done re-playing this game hehe! This is gonna add so much more life to it!
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Cynic66
Casual

Thank you! That was very well done! I'll be looking forward to the finished product.

Has there been an official comment by ritual anywhere why Blade is so silent? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's just really stupid. It kills 50% of what IS Sin.
Cynic66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #17
deceiver
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to deceiver Send a message via MSN to deceiver

The more I think about it, and the more that I read Ritual's interviews, the more evident it has become to me. Ritual kept talking about how they could take risks with episodic. So, now link two and two together: the risk factor and the Blade-not-talking approach. Understand what I'm getting at?

It was a risk on their part to see if they could tell the story better this way, but as you know, this risky decision was met with less than enthusiastic responses saying it was too much like HL and that it had taken away from the SiN feel. I wholeheartedly agree with the latter, though it did help story immersion a bit more, it really detracted too much from the feel of SiN. Although, since we are, of course, in episodic release format, I'm sure they will not take this risk, among others ones, again! At least I'm hoping =P.

Oh and, I posted your mod in the sin episodes section of the steam forums. It'll get even bigger response with that audience =).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...hreadid=440566
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

I just linked it to our exsisting thread about SiN Episodes at 3DRealms.
I think the guys there will like it.

3DRealms SiN E thread
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #19
PrivateNewbie
Regular

This mod is going to be fantastic! SiN just isn't SiN without Blade's voice... good work. Now lets just hope Ritual takes this as a hint, and VERY OBVIOUS hint that the community wants Blade! Good ol' smacktalkin' Blade!
PrivateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #20
Shoelip
Experienced

I hope they took the constant complaining about the lack of his voice that caused this mod to come about as a hint as well. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

This mod sounds great. One thing about the demo, imo Blade sounds a little too friendly to JC just after he gets out of the deathtrap. The lines are good though.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #21
Smoke39
Regular

"Well work faster, damn it!"
Haha, awesome. I might actually give the episode a second playthrough once this is done.
Smoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 AM   #22
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

I just watched the vid, and GREAT WORK! It was better than I had hoped.
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #23
programmer2
Casual

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax:
Quote:
I *believe* (not entirely 100%) that the hud hint for that shows up in the middle of the conversation normally, and allows you to place it before JC is done talking.
That's right, it appears in the middle of his sentence.
I'm aware of that, but since you've added Blade's voice to the beginning of that sound clip, the hint appears evan earlier in JC's sentence, which is what I was referring to.

Worst case scenario for that would be that the time left of the voice clip after the hint shows up is longer than the time from when you've set to dataspike to the next sound file, which could cause the sounds to overlap. I don't know if this happens in your version though, and this wasn't meant as critique or anything, I just wanted to tell you that's something we could fix when merging our packs [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
programmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #24
shadeex
Experienced

Send a message via Skype™ to shadeex

really impressive Madmax..
im loking forward to the finished product...

as far as i can hear the timing is perfect... all in all nice job man.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
shadeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #25
MadMax
Veteran

Quote:
Worst case scenario for that would be that the time left of the voice clip after the hint shows up is longer than the time from when you've set to dataspike to the next sound file, which could cause the sounds to overlap. I don't know if this happens in your version though, and this wasn't meant as critique or anything, I just wanted to tell you that's something we could fix when merging our packs
You already offered me a merger in the other thread and I'm more than willing. I'll just have to complete my work first and you must complete yours [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Okay guys, I'm back to work, we want this mod finished soon, eh?