Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 07-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Aegeri
Rookie

Default Good to see SiN back

Deciding to take my luck with steam now that I upgraded my computer [past experiences haven't been good] I was rather pleased to see that SiN has managed to come back after so long. I'm not how long it was now, but a couple of years ago I remember sending an email to Levelord asking if Ritual were planning a sequel to SiN. Although it seemed they were keen to do so, it didn't appear that they were having any luck getting a publisher due to how the first game went [which was admittingly rushed].

It's good to see with Steam that cutting out the publisher does allow for the reemergence of games that otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day. Being an avid fan of the original SiN, I decided to get Episodes recently and have just finished playing around with it. My general opinion is that I really liked it and particularly felt the personal challenge system works really well, unlike the one in Prey that seems distinctly non-functional.

Anyway general positives:

1) Physics from HL2 are used well with the exploding canisters and general environment. If you're going to use an engine that has physics you might as well use them.

2) Length was fine for the $50 dollars New Zealand I bought it for, noting that a full retail PC game is normally $90 so the price/time works out fairly well. It's worth noting that this is buying a retail copy, buying directly off steam with a credit card would probably cost $19.95*0.60 = $32 dollars or so. Buying solid media [IE DVD] is a luxury that I can afford to choose to do so, but the price (and the fact it has Sin 1 for free) is more than reasonable.

3) Characters are fairly interesting and well distinguished from one another. Clear semblance of some plot as well although I'm hoping future episodes don't 'forget' certain things, such as the hinted previous association that Jessica has with Raddick.

4) Level design is pretty solid all around although a bit linear. I remember how big and open the levels in Sin were, but I guess such open level design is more or less a thing of the past. I do appreciate the zany secrets most of all however.

5) Weapons are immensely solid. All of them have a good purpose and are useful in their specific context throughout the game. The shotgun probably comes off worst however, because the primary number of bullets it carries isn't actually very good [6]. It's secondary fire does make up for this deficiency however.

Overall I would say Sin: Episodes is on the right track, but there are a considerable number of things that bothered me a lot.

1) Blade is mute? Yes, I've read the explanation that as he's just been injected with some stuff he's not feeling in the best of moods, but come on, I'm sick of Gorden Freeman mute silent types. This is probably one of the bigger issues for me, because it detracted from the character of the game quite a bit.

2) Interactivity like the original Sin please. Yes, it's neat I can pick up and discharge canisters and such, but the term "interactivity" to me doesn't quite mean physics objects. I would like to see things like the bank terminals in Sin make a comeback, although I liked the Doom3 like control panels in Sin Episodes as well. A combination of the two would be really good probably.

3) In the next expisode please do expand the arsenal somewhat. The grenades just aren't enough for my explosive fix at the moment

4) Some more 'real world' type locations like the bank in Sin, Sin Tek laboratories and that sort of thing. Less sewers please. I've had my fill of sewers.

5) A tad more variation in Sin Tek soldiers would be nice. I noticed that as well as carrying mini-guns, some of the Sin Tek regulars were carrying other weapons like shotguns, assault rifles and such forth. Now I think of it, I wouldn't mind being able to get my grubby little mits on one of those mini-guns...

6) Finally, as well as my issues with the interactivity I wouldn't mind seeing the action based outcome system returning on both a small episode scale, as well as the bigger overall scale. It was one of the things that made Sin so interesting to me, because you could play some areas in two different ways and have distinctly different outcomes. Sometimes they weren't overly major, but sometimes they made a really interesting difference. I definitely would like to see that return.

Overall, very pleased to see Sin back and alive again. Oh and the "We beat out DNF out twice" easter egg=priceless

--------------------
It's ok to impale people just as long as you don't swear while you're doing it!
Aegeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

Default Re: Good to see SiN back

Hey Aegeri, it's nic eto see people from 3DRealms forums here as well. Iggy and a few others are around as well.

I love the fact that SiN is back, I've been hoping for a SiN 2 for years. And when they officially announced SiN Episodes I litterely yelled "F*CK YEAH!"

Now... if only they would make a Kingpin 2....

--------------------
Proud Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Top upcoming PC games: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, SiN: Episode 2, Crysis, Serious Sam 3, DNF.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
RuThLeS_LoC
Casual

[/quote]Now... if only they would make a Kingpin 2[/quote]

I agree with u man, kingpin is the shiit, and people still play it!
RuThLeS_LoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
RATBURN360
Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to RATBURN360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegeri
1) Blade is mute? Yes, I've read the explanation that as he's just been injected with some stuff he's not feeling in the best of moods, but come on, I'm sick of Gorden Freeman mute silent types. This is probably one of the bigger issues for me, because it detracted from the character of the game quite a bit.
Everything you have said is well put.

So far, Blade's silence is the number 1 thing that bothered me. I hope that he gains lines and actually has dialog in later eps. Being silent doesnt sound like his type and I too am sick of those kinds of characters, I like hearing them speak and talk to other people, especially for someone like Blade. Silence really deducts from him. Come on! I was totally hoping for the same Blade as before. I guess we have to get him that antidote (possible voicebox fluid) and see if it works. =D

--------------------
The price of freedom is Eternal Vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
SiNNER for life.

Last edited by RATBURN360 : 07-17-2006 at 09:39 PM.
RATBURN360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
XperiMental
Rookie

Man i remember playing Kingpin for the first time. The hardcore cursing really brought a smile on my face. Those were the days...
XperiMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Untouchable2K
Rookie

I own kingpin, but i never played it. Its brand new , still wrapped up inside the jewel case.

--------------------

u2konline/u2knetwork
Untouchable2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

You should, it works really well in WinXP fully patched. Great game.

--------------------
Proud Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Top upcoming PC games: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, SiN: Episode 2, Crysis, Serious Sam 3, DNF.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Kolonel_Klink
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to Kolonel_Klink Send a message via MSN to Kolonel_Klink

Hobo: "You got a dollar?"
You: "Nah, I ain't got no dollar!"
Hobo: "Come back when you've got a dollar."
You: "F@#$ you!"
<Hobo chases you with a stick>

Ah, good ol' days.

--------------------
Kolonel_Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
XperiMental
Rookie

Ah yes.

"Crowbar for a dollar?"

The funny thing is: after you install Kingpin you have access to the dialogue from all the characters. There is some hilarious stuff there, all in mp3.

Last edited by XperiMental : 07-17-2006 at 07:51 PM.
XperiMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
Aegeri
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBURN360
Everything you have said is well put.

So far, Blade's silence is the number 1 thing that bothered me. I hope that he gains lines and actually has dialog in later eps. Being silent doesnt sound like his type and I too am sick of those kinds of characters, I like hearing them speak and talk to other people, especially for someone like Blade. Silence really deducts from him. Come on! I was totally hoping for the same Blade as before. I guess we have to get him that antidote (possible voicebox fluid) and see if it works. =D
Yeah, Damien told me about the patch to add in Blade Talk (sounds from Sin anyway) and it does improve things a bit. Hopefully he'll be a bit more sassy in future.

Seems like my complaints are mostly reiterated in the suggestions thread, so I am sure that Ritual will have heard that Blade being mute was rather annoying

--------------------
It's ok to impale people just as long as you don't swear while you're doing it!
Aegeri is offline   Reply With Quote