Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Dawgfan
Rookie

Default Ep2. Canned?

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/CGW/121306.mp3

The guys on this podcast believe Sin Ep2 is canned or soon will be, something people in this forum have been speculating. Anybody else heard any news or how this relates to recent departures at ritual.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Raveness
Veteran

Default Re: Ep2. Canned?

--------------------
Raveness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Onden
Regular

Story and transcript on Kotaku:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sin/sin...ned-222074.php

I don't think it's ridiculous. Episode 1 sold poorly, key members left Ritual, and no one from Ritual has made an upfront statement that "yes, Sin Episode 2 is going to happen" to silence these rumors. That's really the damning piece of evidence; I can understand them withholding details/media/whatever about the game, but it seems they won't even confirm that they're making it and there's no reason to withold that.

I mean read Ken Harward's statement after the depatures:

"I'm really looking forward to helping guide Ritual," said Ken. "2007 looks to be a great year as we finish up our current projects and start some exciting new ones. I'm excited to have the opportunity to expand my leadership role within the company, and I'm flattered by the huge amount of support everyone in the tribe has shown. There's a ton of positive energy in the halls."

"current projects", why so ambiguous? The lack of any specific mention of Sin Episodes 2 is rather conspicuous. If it was going to happen, no doubt he'd say something like "and we're really excited about Episode 2" to put all this speculation to rest.

It's not going to happen people. I'm not anti-Ritual, in fact I'd love if I had to eat my words in a month or two, but I am rational and it's hard to draw any other conclusion from the evidence at hand.

Last edited by Onden : 12-15-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Onden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Raveness
Veteran

*claps*

Sign the man up for the CIA. He's added such convincing evidence from a game blog site and industry experts from a magazine which add so much more to what we don't already know

Until Ritual actually says something themselves, its pure conjecture, worrying conjecture albeit, but conjecture nonetheless. And conjecture is ridiculous, because it paramounts to bait tactics on the Internet.

And for the love of God, do not intersperse legal terminology when you opine. It insults the intelligence of those who know what they actually refer to.

--------------------

Last edited by Raveness : 12-15-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
*claps*

Sign the man up for the CIA. He's added such convincing evidence from a game blog site and industry experts from a magazine which add so much more to what we don't already know
I know you're a fan of the game and all and don't want to acknowledge that there's a chance it might not come out, but there's no need to be a sarcastic jerk and get angry at me.

Quote:
Until Ritual actually says something themselves, its pure conjecture, worrying conjecture albeit, but conjecture nonetheless. And conjecture is ridiculous, because it paramounts to bait tactics on the Internet.
I agree it's conjecture, but I'm not going to refrain from saying it just because someone else might not like it.

Quote:
And for the love of God, do not intersperse legal terminology when you opine. It insults the intelligence of those who know what they actually refer to.
Legal terminology? What the heck are you talking about? Because I used the word evidence? Yeah that's real legaleze there; man I better cut back on it so people who didn't go to Standford can understand (see, two can play the sarcastic jerk game). Jeeze I'm sorry your upset, but no need to grasp at straws to try to insult me.

Last edited by Onden : 12-15-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Raveness
Veteran

I'm not going to refrain from calling it a beating of the dead horse, so welcome to the world of the counterargument. Nothing said in the cast or the site added anything at all new.

As for being a sarcastic jerk, yes I prefer to use sarcasm rather than suffixing words like jerk. I didn't see the need when debating this to resort to an ad-hominem insult but I guess you did, as well as applying emotions to my post which cannot be derived on such a medium (angry, upset, insult). Thicker skin is beneficial on the net.

--------------------
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveness View Post
As for being a sarcastic jerk, yes I prefer to use sarcasm rather than suffixing words like jerk. I didn't see the need when debating this to resort to an ad-hominem insult but I guess you did, as well as applying emotions to my post which cannot be derived on such a medium (angry, upset, insult). Thicker skin is beneficial on the net.
Oh I get it, so because you didn't use any directly abrasive words you weren't being an ass.

Sorry dude, you went there whether you think you did or not. You could have just said "This is nothing new. [period]" and maybe offered some contrary points. Instead you had to make snarky comments about my post, the first and last resort of pathetic individuals who believe they're smarter than they actually are and have nothing of value to offer.

I say good day to you sir!

Last edited by Onden : 12-15-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
Raveness
Veteran

Nothing of value to offer similar to what you've mentioned, or in this circumstance just repeating what has already been said numerous ways.

Whether I went there or not in your estimation I don't care. I'm not worried about how my posts are misconstrued and how it offends those who cannot take a joke or just ignore it if they don't like it. It doesn't matter anyways, there's a lot on the Net who feel anyone that disagree's with them is attacking their character and not simply their post's rationale, and then resort to using such vernacular as ass, jerk, pathetic individual

But if it puts your mind at ease to receive a banal response tailored to your preference so that you don't blow your lid, then this is nothing new.

Now I'm going to add something to it, so don't explode in confusion anyone......bear in mind these are the holiday months and the PC market has been quite slow since the onset of the new consoles.

--------------------
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Onden
Regular

---edit---

Nah, you know what, nevermind; soooo not worth it. Screw the bickering, back on topic:

Fine, maybe it's already been covered. I don't read every post on the forum. However, when even journalists can't get a reply from Ritual I do consider that worth noting and I do consider it signicant to the conjecture about the game's release.

Last edited by Onden : 12-15-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Raveness
Veteran

Hardly. The press has been bluntly ignored before for months on end by many a developer studio, especially one in flux right now such as Ritualistic. I'm waiting until late January before I join the skeptics, by then the holidays are long over, some internal realignment should be in place, and that would be the 8 month mark they proposed to us. Right now the hearsay still reeks of impatient knee-jerk responses.

Damn I gotta get a new sig....

--------------------
Old 12-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

You two like each other, huh? Looks like a private chat in here.

Quote:
no one from Ritual has made an upfront statement that "yes, Sin Episode 2 is going to happen" to silence these rumors
Excuse me, WHY would they want to do that? They probably simply don't care about people who bring up rumors to begin with; they have better things to do with their time than to defend themselves against ridiculous conspiracy theories thrown at them. Yes, conspiracy, that's what you make it sound like! Oh my God, Ritual's new CEO didn't say "Sin Episode 2", that must mean they are so ashamed to admit that ep 2 is cancelled they won't even speak out the game's name! I'm sorry, but I don't go for such bullshit.

And please people, stop making new threads about the same old issue. EP2 IS NOT cancelled unless Ritual say so.

BTW:
Quote:
Sorry dude
AFAIK, Raveness is a girl!

--------------------
My pinball hobby website - www.silverball-magic.com
SiN: Retribution - sin.silverball-magic.com
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
TonicBH
Rookie

Why do I have a bad feeling that the Ritual that you guys knew and loved is gone and this "new Ritual" is gonna take a different approach to games?
TonicBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Excuse me, WHY would they want to do that?
Because it would take all of 5 minutes, it's not as though they'd need to expend any great effort to simply confirm the game is being made. Whether the rumors are rational or not, they certainly aren't helping the game.

Also, forum rumors are one thing, but now rumors of the game's (non)existence are showing up in the general gaming news. If the general media was saying your product was dead when it really wasn't woudln't you want to correct them?

I can't think of any developer that has ignored allegations of similar weight in the past if there was not some truth to them.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
Gibaholic
Regular

I, personally believe they'll atleast and try to release some sort of form of multiplayer. Maybe episode 2, not so sure about an episode 3..

--------------------
Gibaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #15
Blade_cop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/CGW/121306.mp3

The guys on this podcast believe Sin Ep2 is canned or soon will be, something people in this forum have been speculating. Anybody else heard any news or how this relates to recent departures at ritual.
Found something similar to that.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sin/sin...ned-222074.php
Blade_cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 AM   #16
Cynosure
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onden View Post
I say good day to you sir!
.... Ahaaam.... You mean MAM?????!!!!
Cynosure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Onden
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_cop View Post
That's a (partial) transcript of the podcast the OP linked. Also I already linked that in my first post, but it was easy to miss.

------

Anyway, another big Ritual departure. Tom Mustaine was who they were trying to contact on the podcast, guess it makes sense that he wouldn't be too keen to talk about the place he was leaving.

Still bad news though, I can't recall a game studio that hemorrhaged employees like this and ended up producing something good - or even surviving for very long.

------

Last, but not least, Michael Russell has commented (sort of) on the rumors on his blog. It's an interesting post, it sounds at once both good and bad regarding the future of Sin.

Last edited by Onden : 12-17-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #18
The MiMiC
Veteran

I do have two questions about the whole Ep. 2 thing.
First, where has anyone ever said sales were bad? The only comments I have ever read, from Ritual or otherwise, was that they were happy with sales so far. And if you take the lowering price comment into that, they have only dropped the price by 5 bucks so far, which could be taken as a good sign, or at least that sales are as expected maybe.
The second question is regarding Ritual, why haven't they commented yet? Maybe just a comment on news upcoming, an announcement is on the way, whatever.

Oh, and does anyone else watch Dexter? I caught my first episode a few weeks back, man am I sad I missed the majority of the season...

Oh, and one last thing, anyone think that if we bring him a busty young maiden, Levelord would pop up and make a comment?

--------------------
<Insert witty comment>

Last edited by The MiMiC : 12-17-2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: whoops, forgot something
The MiMiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #19
Karrionhardt
Rookie

Well, at least that was an argument between intelligent people. I suppose I'd forgotten what those looked like.

No matter what the situation is internally, an exodus of this scale is sure to present pressing concerns of greater necessity than the need to reassure the forum community. I mean - we're here, aren't we? We've already played the games and came to love their little nuances. It's everyone /else/ they need to worry about.

There isn't much we can do except hope for the best - and as Raveness suggested, recognize when that hope becomes futile.
Karrionhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
Raveness
Veteran

The 'Sin Episodes canned' idea is becoming more prevalent on the web now, as this morning I saw on ActionTrip their local dimwits twisting the words like a typical gamesite who don't check the facts:

Quote:
According to a statement from Ritual Entertainment, given at this week's 'Games for Windows' podcast, SiN Episodes is finished (as in no more apparently). This news comes in light of the recent mass exodus from the company.
Now ignoring the fact that there was no statement from Ritual, official or unofficial, that it's finished, this is another case of the media spreading absolutes about Sin Episodes without Ritual responding in kind.

--------------------
Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
Onden
Regular

This story was picked up by Slashdot as well, so it's rather visible at this point.

I agree that the press has taken a rumor and run with it, but I'm confounded by Ritual's silence on this issue at this point.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #22
Standoff
Veteran

I think it'd be funny to not say a damn thing and have everyone wondering for like a month then release the game, myself.

That would be the wierdest practical joke ever. And among the best. Myow.

_____
Oh yeah, also... Thanks, Raveness, for improving the average IQ of the internet.
Standoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 AM   #23
The MiMiC
Veteran

Personally, I'm leaning towards the game being dead, Ritual being dead, and a new company being formed with a new name built around console games.
But that's just me.

--------------------
<Insert witty comment>
The MiMiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:02 AM   #24
Raveness
Veteran

Red face Re: Ep2. Canned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standoff View Post
Oh yeah, also... Thanks, Raveness, for improving the average IQ of the internet.

--------------------
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #25
CMB
Addict

Thumbs up Re: Ep2. Canned?

lol, look at this vocabulary tiff.

Despite all the big words, lets face reality here. Even if something that resembles Episode 2 EVER gets released, what about 3? 4? There's an ending in there somewhere, and unfortunately, for some of you, I think it's a lot closer than you know.
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote