Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II

Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
trekker_girl

Thumbs down Disappointed in EF2

I know I'm a little late to say this, and I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am very disappointed that you can't play Alexandria in EF2. Was it because the idea of two girls falling in love is too taboo for a video game?
There's not many games where you can play a girl, in an industry dominated by males, and I would have loved to be able to play Alexandria in a sequel.
I'm glad EF2 bombed, for this very reason. Great decision you made Ritual.

Last edited by trekker_girl : 05-26-2009 at 12:31 AM.
trekker_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Chriss
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chriss Send a message via Yahoo to Chriss Send a message via Skype™ to Chriss
Ritual Entertainment Re: Disappointed in EF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker_girl View Post
Was it because the idea of two girls falling in love is too taboo for a video game?
It is the same with the opposite gender :P

The reason most likely is related to the budget of ef2, it would have been far to expensive! The game includes a massive amount of dialogues and cinematic sequences, ritual would have had no trouble at all to realize Alexandria as playable character in one way or the other, in addition to Alex (with a bigger budget).

How ever, the majority of the players buying such a game and playing it online, are male. As usually for this genre the main character is a male. If the game would have been designed with more freedom it could have happened that the game would have got a different ESBR rating and possible would have been indexed in some countries.

If a company wants to sell a game the company has to find a balance, to please the players and to get a good ESBR(usually 16+) rating.
Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
trekker_girl

Default Re: Disappointed in EF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
It is the same with the opposite gender :P

The reason most likely is related to the budget of ef2, it would have been far to expensive! The game includes a massive amount of dialogues and cinematic sequences, ritual would have had no trouble at all to realize Alexandria as playable character in one way or the other, in addition to Alex (with a bigger budget).

How ever, the majority of the players buying such a game and playing it online, are male. As usually for this genre the main character is a male. If the game would have been designed with more freedom it could have happened that the game would have got a different ESBR rating and possible would have been indexed in some countries.

If a company wants to sell a game the company has to find a balance, to please the players and to get a good ESBR(usually 16+) rating.
Thanks for the response, that's an interesting point you make, but I had read that Ritual's stance on it was because of the romantic dialog between Munro and Murphy specifically, and that they didn't want to take any chances to upset anyone.
I'm a thirty-something, and I grew up on TOS, TNG, NES and SNES (thanks to my cousins lol ), and when Star Trek 25th anniversary came out I remember playing it for hours and hours until I finally beat it, that's what started it all for me (my love for Trek gaming). Years later, when Elite Force came out, and I heard you have the chance to play a female character, I jumped on it. (don't believe other girls when they say they don't like to play their own gender now and then, I LOVED Tomb Raider lol ).
Alexandria is a lot like my own personality, and that really drew me into the dialog and character, and the story, and when I finished it I remember I was really looking forward to the sequel coming out, hoping to pick up from the story where it left off.
I don't mind playing a male character, but in an industry dominated by males, it's nice to play the other once in awhile.
That's what upset me about it.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Chriss
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chriss Send a message via Yahoo to Chriss Send a message via Skype™ to Chriss
Thumbs up Re: Disappointed in EF2

Well, if you want to play a Female main character in ef2, perhaps a Modification will do it for you?...

A Gate two Birds and the beautiful Sky Mod features 10 new maps for Singleplayer, with a interesting story line, plus it has a very high quality standard for a Modification.
Details: http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-gate-two...-beautiful-sky
Download (most recommended Zip version): http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-gate-two...utiful-sky-zip
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Pollywog
Rookie

Quote:
I know I'm a little late to say this, and I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am very disappointed that you can't play Alexandria in EF2. Was it because the idea of two girls falling in love is too taboo for a video game?
There's not many games where you can play a girl, in an industry dominated by males, and I would have loved to be able to play Alexandria in a sequel.
I'm glad EF2 bombed, for this very reason. Great decision you made Ritual.
It would have been nice if they had included the option of playing Alexandria and I expected it would be there in ef2.
I think they could have gotten around any "taboos" by just changing the story a little and leaving out the mushy stuff.
Pollywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
trekker_girl

But that's my point, why even change the story for Alexandria? What about the Grand Theft Auto series? Many parent groups were very upset with it, but it turned out to be a very successful franchise. I think a female story (even altered) would have been far more tame, and less controversial, than GTA.
Unfortunately, I haven't ever played EF2. Shortly after EF1 was released, Real Life(TM) took over and I didn't really have much of a chance to look at it until now. Recently I found EF1 in one of my boxes and played the campaign through again and it got me thinking about it, and that's when I read there was no Alexandria in the sequel.
I might get it and try it, but even a used copy is so expensive now. It looks like the game was a big flop. What do you think, should I even bother?

Is Ritual even still around, or is this forum a ghost ship?

Last edited by Chriss : 05-27-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
Chriss
Veteran

Star Trek Elite Force 2 Re: Disappointed in EF2

You should try to get a copy from E-bay, you shouldn't be worried that the CD-key
is in use if the seller hand you out a original copy of the game.

As for the Multiplayer, there are about 8 servers constantly up (You need the patch 1.1).

There are two noticeable Mods for the game:
A Coop Mod, allowing you to play the Story on-line together with others.
A RPG mod, for Role Playing fun.

And GSIO has rebuild almost the entire Enterprise E shown in the Singleplayer. This map is extremely huge and offer a excellent platform for Role-Playing.

Oberlerchner has even provided a slightly Modified version of the Star Fleet Academy level for RPG, taken from the Singleplayer Missions.

There is even more content for this game. So if you like to play RPG, Coop or the regular game-modes the game offers, on-line with a decent graphic, then you should get a new copy and join the community!

--

From time to time some former ritual employees check the forums. For more details please read this official Announcement.

PS: Merged your posts

Last edited by Chriss : 05-27-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
trekker_girl

Ok thanks, I might get it then.
Do you think Ritual ever regrets any decisions they've made in the past?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Chriss
Veteran

I think every company regrets some decisions, some more than others.

EF2 had bad luck as it hit the stores Activision sued Paramount, and Paramount took the Star Trek license away from Activision. This killed the entire promotion process of the game and affected the release of a patch for the game enormously.

This had multiple side effects, not only on Ritual, so it is very hard to jump to any what has to be regret conclusions.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
trekker_girl

I remember that lawsuit. Not like it would happen, but it would be interesting to get anyone from Ritual who worked on EF2 to comment about it now, what they would have done better, things they might not have done, etc.

Chris, you are from germany??? I was just there in February and I loved it!!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Chriss
Veteran

Question Re: Disappointed in EF2

Only these persons would be able to make a statement like this, and I have no idea where they have gone:
- Jon Galloway, which was in charge (Insider joke: And sank with his ship)
- Steven Peeler, which had the Technology Lead
- Chris Stockman, which had the Design and Gameplay Lead
- Daniel Greenberg, was responsible for the Story and Dialouges

--

Well, yes I am. But so are many others
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Pollywog
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
I think every company regrets some decisions, some more than others.

EF2 had bad luck as it hit the stores Activision sued Paramount, and Paramount took the Star Trek license away from Activision. This killed the entire promotion process of the game and affected the release of a patch for the game enormously.

This had multiple side effects, not only on Ritual, so it is very hard to jump to any what has to be regret conclusions.
This is how I remember it too. Activision sued Paramount almost as soon as the game "shipped". The reason Activision sued had something to do with a claim that Paramount had not honored their part of the deal by promoting the Star Trek franchise (with new feature films and tv series).

I don't know if the game might be available used from places like Ebay.
Pollywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
trekker_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollywog View Post
This is how I remember it too. Activision sued Paramount almost as soon as the game "shipped". The reason Activision sued had something to do with a claim that Paramount had not honored their part of the deal by promoting the Star Trek franchise (with new feature films and tv series).

I don't know if the game might be available used from places like Ebay.
I don't have an ebay account, but I do at amazon, and EF2 is selling for rediculous prices right now.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
Chriss
Veteran

Quote:
I don't have an ebay account, but I do at amazon, and EF2 is selling for rediculous prices right now.
E-Bay Account does not cost you anything as long as you buy things only.